Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Greenwich University

edited January 2012 in General Charlton
I've recieved an offer there to study next year, I'm going to the open day next Saturday before the Charlton game.
2 quick questions
Has any Lifers studied at Greenwich Univeristy at the Old Royal Naval building ?
What is Greenwich like for a nightout ?

Comments

• The wife went there but it was about 10 years ago now so probably changed a bit since then. She enjoyed herself though.
  • Greenwich ain't great for a night out really, but plenty of places to go. Better bars etc nearby.
  • my mate went there. good night on wednesdays called dizzy. she was from sidcup but lived on the avery hill campus. remember many parties in their halls and climbing through windows after dizzy on a wednesday night. she's now a very sensible primary school teacher and mother and doesn't climb through windows or get dizzy on a wednesday night.

greenwich is great for a night out. it's only a short taxi ride to the venue in new cross. winner.
  • my mate went there. good night on wednesdays called dizzy. she was from sidcup but lived on the avery hill campus. remember many parties in their halls and climbing through windows after dizzy on a wednesday night. she's now a very sensible primary school teacher and mother and doesn't climb through windows or get dizzy on a wednesday night.

greenwich is great for a night out. it's only a short taxi ride to the venue in new cross. winner.
    Is Dizzy at the Student Union at Avery Hill Park though rather than Greenwich itself?

• edited January 2012
    most bars in greenwich are pretty expensive. there are enough of them so overall its all right but none are really stand out places. thursday night- student night for most places not just in greenwich.
    the uni buildings are all pretty old and some of it on the inside seems like it was once used as an 19th century mental hospital.
    i think there is a student bar but i never went in to it.
  • Isn't Admiral Hardy studenty? They used to do cheap drinks through the week. Auctioneer - Defo used to be studenty - is it still an 'its a scream' pub? and St Christophers?

• I've recieved an offer there to study next year, I'm going to the open day next Saturday before the Charlton game.
    2 quick questions
    Has any Lifers studied at Greenwich Univeristy at the Old Royal Naval building ?
    What is Greenwich like for a nightout ?
    I graduated in 2008 it's okay, a bit confusing finding your way around, I still got lost in my 3rd year! Lectures and seminars are generally combined, the lecturers prefer it that way. The night life isn't too bad, there are more wine bars than pubs and a bit tourist galore. Most people went to the O2 when I was there as it is just a few minutes on the bus.

• Is Dizzy at the Student Union at Avery Hill Park though rather than Greenwich itself?

yep, but all you need is a 286 bus!
  • There's a student bar right next to Sparrow Lane, if I remember rightly I went there a few years back with a friend who was at Greenwich Uni.

• Your there to study so what has the greenwich nightlife got to do with it? - either your going to study or you want to party --if the latter give your place up to a more worthy recipient
  • Sponsored links:

• Your there to study so what has the greenwich nightlife got to do with it? - either your going to study or you want to party --if the latter give your place up to a more worthy recipient
    Maybe he'll manage to learn the difference between you're and your even if he does go out partying.

If anyone chomps on this they're silly!
  • Auctioneer - Defo used to be studenty - is it still an 'its a scream' pub?
    It still is one, that's my new watering hole before games now

Maybe he'll manage to learn the difference between you're and your even if he does go out partying.

lighten up

all work and no play..........

• Is Dizzy at the Student Union at Avery Hill Park though rather than Greenwich itself?
    Did 5 years part time at Greenwich I didn't subject myself once to a student night out with any of the drips that studied there!

lighten up

Classic Charlton Life :-)

Did 5 years part time at Greenwich I didn't subject myself once to a student night out with any of the drips that studied there!
    sociable one you.

i never went to a halls party. my course was mixture of two sets of people. and i hanged with the cool set.
    admittedly one set was everybody else and the other set was well me.
    i guess you had the same experience sparrows lane lion? ;})
  • I graduated from UoG in '97 and in them days, Dizzy during '94-'97 was legendary. Friday nights in the Dome (as the SU was called then) were excellent.

However, I'm reliably informed by three more recently graduated Nursey friends that sadly Dizzy is no more and nor is The Dome as a bar/club. The Dome has now been replaced with a Gym and the main Avery Hill SU Bar is now over at Sparrows Lane (where the old smaller SU Bar used to be!)

There used to be a decent SU bar on the Woolwich campus, along with a night club too. Havent been over there in years so cant advise.
  • A guy I went to school with runs the SU bar at Sparrows Lane. There's always something going on according to his facebook page.
  • Sponsored links:

• I went there straight out of sixth form in 06.
    I didn't like it myself. It didn't really feel like university to me. Thats just my experience though.

Greenwich is ok. End up there after the match sometimes. Its not really full of students though. Mostly locals, sometimes tourists. I like it. The Mitre has a good range of draft beers and sky sports, Wetherspoons is, well, Wetherspoons and Desperado's is open late most nights. There is also a weird disco above the kebab shop, but I'm not sure about that place. Most students go to the Auctioneer. Personally I try to avoid it. There's a lot of aggro and its not really my kind of place.

If you end up in dorms then I'm sure you'll get into it. You just have to be open to it, I wasn't, that was my problem I think. If all else fails at least you'll be close to The Valley!

Hope that helps, good luck!

• edited January 2012
    Graduated in 07. Great location, everything an easy commute. Drinking in that area starts well but for a decent night out most people move on to another area from Spoons or a student bar around 10ish.
  • edited January 2012
    I wasn't a student at Avery Hill College but my mates brother was and we used to drink in the underground Student Bar called The Dive, early 80's. Long gone now.
  • The dive was a great bar. Proper atmosphere. Studied and then worked at the university of greenwich but mainly at the woolwich campus. Was also editor of the student newspaper. Old royal naval college is definitely a bit of a rabbit warren (but you'll get used to it). Believe the current su bar is across the road towards greenwich park.
  • The Woolwich Campus closed with the move to the old naval college buildings

all work and no play..........
    Go to Hull, all play and no work.
  • Greenwich isn't great for a 'night out' but it has the best collection of pubs in south-east London, in my opinion.

I'd review your other offers, though. Isn't it second from bottom in the university league tables?
  • edited January 2012
    Go to the best university you can, the quality of the nightlife should be low down on your list of priorities....
  • The Woolwich Campus closed with the move to the old naval college buildings
    Not immediately. Staff administration stayed at woolwich through to 2006. I worked in riverside house. Also at least one year where the uni ran 5 campuses avery hill, greenwich, dartford,medway and woolwich.

• Go to the best university you can, the quality of the nightlife should be low down on your list of priorities....
    Some very sensible advice indeed.