Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Golf

First round of 2012 - 11 over after 9. Pretty happy with that. Course in surprisingly good condition too!

Comments

• I played today as well. 92 at Selsdon Park (19 over). Greens were an absolute lottery - like hitting onto a car park. Every fairway had frost down it - I don't give a monkeys what the weather forecast says, it was never above 2 degrees all day. Tee to green not bad (apart from hitting into the trees twice on consecutive holes on the back nine). Would have been an 88 if it weren't for those.
  • Hate golf. Played by manheads that start conversations with, "What you driving these days?"
  • Hate golf. Played by manheads that start conversations with, "What you driving these days?"
    Ford Fusion actually......

Most of my rounds start with a convo about the recent Charlton result actually ...
    Oh - I see what you did there. Took me a while, like - mainly because it wasn't very funny. Kudos to you for trying though.
  • edited January 2012
    Hate golf. Played by manheads that start conversations with, "What you driving these days?"
    Oh - I see what you did there. Took me a while, like - mainly because it wasn't very funny. Kudos to you for trying though.
    ha ha.

It's still a good walk spoilt though. But each to their own.

• Does anyone ever sort out a CharltonLife golf day for those who play?
  • gol...........Zzzzzzzzz
  • I played today as well. 92 at Selsdon Park (19 over). Greens were an absolute lottery - like hitting onto a car park. Every fairway had frost down it - I don't give a monkeys what the weather forecast says, it was never above 2 degrees all day. Tee to green not bad (apart from hitting into the trees twice on consecutive holes on the back nine). Would have been an 88 if it weren't for those.
    How can anyone play Golf in bloody January?

Christ, it was bad enough playing football but at least you could run about and keep warm, how can you even feel the club in your hands when its that cold?

If I was still living in England I would not be playing Golf till at least April, if you play before then you are clearly in need of professional mental health counselling!

• Plaayed 2 days ago. First round in 6 months and shot a 93. Very pleased
  • Sponsored links:

• Good news and bad, had 69 last weekend but it was on the golf course. It'll never last of course. Level par by the way.
  • Level par - how did you get that good?

I dream of 18 bogeys
  • Good news and bad, had 69 last weekend but it was on the golf course. It'll never last of course. Level par by the way.
    is your first name luke?
  • Ha, if only, I'd like his missus (saw her in person once - tidy).

Funny, down my club I'm not even anywhere close to being a really decent golfer. Play off 6 but been playing for 20 years or so, was just a decent round, week after I hacked it round and shot 76. It's all about the short game for scoring.

PS comments about Winter golf, it's not that bad. If the course is open I'll play all year round, cold weather doesn't put me off.

• 'Winter rules' = put the ball wherever you like. Bingo.
  • Where are you a member Donald?
  • All I can say to "Luke" is that your club must be blessed with quite a few pros !!! IMO if you play off anything less than double figs then you're pretty handy and a 6 handicapper, by nature, must be hitting par 2 out of every 3 holes........so not all that bad.

Me............I have been playing for around 15 years and have not got below being an 18 handicap - and that was at Barnehurst which is a very short nine holer with a par of 68 !! - my best ever round there was around 80 and never shot anything under 84 anywhere else. I'm usually happy goiung round in level 5's and dread par 4's over 400 yards. still.........i enjoy it, especially on a summers evening when you have the course to yourself and there is no waiting around.
  • Played 9 holes last Friday, 18 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday at my club in Sawbridgeworth.
    Hard work with the greens frozen during the morning but still a chance to get some fresh air and a bit of exercise.
    Tees all played of mats - hard to get a tee peg in - but playing proper greens.
    Roll on Spring!
  • Golfaddick, not sure how you put up with Barnehurst. The course is in a terrible condition most of the time. I prefer to play up at Pedham Place, similar price and much better value for money.

• All I can say to "Luke" is that your club must be blessed with quite a few pros !!! IMO if you play off anything less than double figs then you're pretty handy and a 6 handicapper, by nature, must be hitting par 2 out of every 3 holes........so not all that bad.

Me............I have been playing for around 15 years and have not got below being an 18 handicap - and that was at Barnehurst which is a very short nine holer with a par of 68 !! - my best ever round there was around 80 and never shot anything under 84 anywhere else. I'm usually happy goiung round in level 5's and dread par 4's over 400 yards. still.........i enjoy it, especially on a summers evening when you have the course to yourself and there is no waiting around.
    I've been playing less than a year and play off 18. You obviously don't play enough :)

In my defence, I have had a few lessons, and my pro is 'extremely pleased' with how I've progressed, so maybe I've got a bit of natural ability.

I love the game - can't believe it took me nearly 40 years to discover it!
  • Sponsored links:

• I used to play every weekend, usually 18 saturday & then 36 on the sunday,

probbaly doesn't help that i'm 5ft 8 and overweight !! I've never been a long hiter & i'm lucky if my drives go 200 yards.
  • I used to play every weekend, usually 18 saturday & then 36 on the sunday,

probbaly doesn't help that i'm 5ft 8 and overweight !! I've never been a long hiter & i'm lucky if my drives go 200 yards.
    Bloody hell - 5 ft 8 and overweight describes me exactly, to a tee (no pun intended). My drives are around the 250-270 mark, which must be a big bonus - means I don't leave myself with a lot of fairway wood shots (I'm useless with them) and can make short par 5s in two (provided I nail the mid iron). Of course, this generally means I'm on the fringe, rather than the green, but at least I'm not having to hit three shots into par 5s (less room for error) or hit long irons to par 4s.

How old's your driver? I'm not taking the piss here - a bloke I play (semi)regularly with has been playing for ten years, but had a useless old lump of a driver. He went to the range and got fitted, then bought a second hand Nike driver and added 30 yards ro his drives instantly, with no sacrifice to his accuracy.

Might be worth checking into?

• My driver's not the problem - relatively new (about 5 yrs old) and although not one of the big headed ones that you get nowdays it isn't and old type and helped my game no end when I got it.
  • Jamescafc, I play at Sundridge Park in Bromley, I live literally a 4 minute walk to the front door of the club so quite handy to get down there midweek during the summer and play twice at weekends if I get the chance. I used to be at Addington Palace for 17 years or so but got bored and stopped playing so much.

Loads of players at my club lower than 6. There would need to be an outbreak of Swine Flu for me to get a chance of playing in the scratch side. Such is life. I turn up, have a bacon roll, a couple of ciggies and walk round with my mates and have a laugh, anything in the 70's is a decent score and I'm lucky enough to have 36 holes at Sundridge so I can pick and choose what course to play.

Remember, it's all about the short game, if you can get up and down more times than not then you're handicap will come down. I never hit balls in the nets before hand, just chip for 15 mins and have a few putts.
  • you must bo loaded as well
  • Most definitely, 100% not!! Got a deal when I joined as a my mate who's a member referred me. I've been forking out golf membership for 20 years now so you just get used to the painful part of handing over a cheque.

PS I live in a flat and drive a crappy blue yaris with a dent if that paints a better picture for you!
  • Having played for nearly a year now, I'm thinking of joining a club - but don't want to do any of the nause stuff that goes along with it. All that 'captain's parking space' and 'members' room' crap gets on my wick. I also like the nomadic way I've played so far (there are about five or six courses in my 'rotation'), so not sure whether spending money on membership at one course (which would inevitably put a serious curb on my visits to other courses because of cost) would end up with me getting bored with the same 18 holes every week.
  • as someone that plays only during the summer, the ability to drive never really leaves me. Most drivers/3 wood/5 wood are quite forgiving these days and a clean swing and still head means a decent strike (unless you open the face like a garage door)

The major problem with not playing is my short game. drives me mad and pretty much ruins my day out.

to make it even worse it usually improves just before it starts getting cold again!
  • I used to play at Sundridge Park with my dad when I was about 16. The difference between the two courses there and public courses is immeasurable. Plus you can usually play at your own pace and not have to wait around too much. It might not be so bad now but it used to be very, very snobby. And it is bloody expensive.
  • I share Leroy's issue about joining a club. Sometimes the variety of not being tied to a course is nice. If you're shelling pout around £1000+ you're not likely to play elsewhere.

Anyone know of any clubs which give you membership to a variety of courses?