Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

petty crime

1. You have some work done at your home, the bill is £3000 but to avoid VAT etc. would you agree to save yourself £400 and pay cash?

2. Have you ever taken little things from work eg. pens, paper-clips?

3. Someone leaving a car park offers you their parking ticket which has plenty of time left, do you use it?

4. By mistake, you get £5 extra change at Tesco's - do you keep it?

Comments

• edited June 2007
    1. You have some work done at your home, the bill is £3000 but to avoid VAT etc. would you agree to save yourself £400 and pay cash?

Almost certainly

2. Have you ever taken little things from work eg. pens, paper-clips?

Pointless- run my own business

3. Someone leaving a car park offers you their parking ticket which has plenty of time left, do you use it?

Yes- and i do the same if i have plenty of time left on mine

4. By mistake, you get £5 extra change at Tesco's - do you keep it?

No- but if it was £50, i'd probably be very tempted. :-)
  • yes and proudly to all four
  • Yes to all four, although the stuff from was is always accidental.
  • having new windows, and was offered the same deal. However you need building regs on windows that are on bay windows, you also need guarantees to sell later on, etc. So I wonder if sometimes the small saving is really worth it.
  • not proudly .... yes to all first three
    No to 4th, but I am with probably with Stanmore there
  • can't believe that anyone would say anything other than yes to all four
  • Yes to first three, absolutely not to 4. Tesco can afford it, the poor sod on the till might lose their job over it.
  • 5. Posting threads on subjects that are already being discussed:

Hang him!
  • I'm struggling to think of an answer other than yes to any of them
  • Sponsored links:

• they dont lose their job. ive done big corporation shop work. it doesnt matter, tesco's make so much money maybe they should pay their staff more than minimum wage, after all where would they be without them? something like 8pence of every pound spent in England goes to Tesco, if they can't get staff in who can count a bit of a change correctly, not my problem whatsoever. think of all the businesses tesco have helped to ruin with the products/services they offer other than food?no way, id get as much as i could out of those i really would.
  • vat on £3,000 would be £525...you were robbed
  • [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]vat on £3,000 would be £525...you were robbed

Yep, you were robbed but not for the reason ltgtr states, on a VAT inclusive price of £3,000 the VAT is £446.81.

Thus the builder is actually defrauding the Government of this amount and by default you as a taxpayer are being ripped off. The builder may or may not be VAT registered. If not he is inflating his prices by 17.5 % fraudulently and if he is then by accepting a lower price for cash and almost certainly claiming the input tax on materials etc he is up by around 32%. either way you suffer and you should always ask, if offered a cash price whether this means he is discounting his materials costs by 17.5% in order to pass his saving onto you.
    [cite]Posted By: markwebb21[/cite]they dont lose their job. ive done big corporation shop work. it doesnt matter, tesco's make so much money maybe they should pay their staff more than minimum wage, after all where would they be without them? something like 8pence of every pound spent in England goes to Tesco, if they can't get staff in who can count a bit of a change correctly, not my problem whatsoever. think of all the businesses tesco have helped to ruin with the products/services they offer other than food?no way, id get as much as i could out of those i really would.

Mark, if the general public were more honest and big corporations did not have to bear the cost of this type of behaviour as well as the young mum who gives the kiddies a lucozade or whatever whilst doing the shop in order to shutbthem up, but conveniently has lost the empty bottle by the time they reach the check out, then they mighty be able to afford to employ people with more ability for a decent wage.
  • 1. No for the building regs and insurance reasons given above. If it was someone I didn't know who offered my such a deal I wouldn't want them working on my house. Any way might be able to claim some of the VAT back through my business.

2. Yes when I was emplyed but only for personal use and not to sell on.

3. Yes as that is a service that has been paid for but not used in full. Lots of places eg outside Hare and Billet in Bleackheath you have to key your car reg number in.

4. no, would be taken out of the wages of the poor cashier.
  • they would not neccessarily lose their job, and anyway if you cant count out change correctly then why would you want to be a cashier? with regards to the VAT question does this apply to all tax-evading measures? for example....your mate comes back from europe with loads of cigarettes and offers them to you for 2quid a pack? because that constitutes petty crime.