Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Darren Bent goes shopping outrage

Darren Bent rues a missed chance, Wigan Athletic v Aston Villa, Premier League, DW Stadium, Wigan, January 25, 2011

Aston Villa striker Darren Bent has issued an apology on Twitter after fans registered their displeasure as a picture, apparently of the striker shopping on Sunday, surfaced online.

Villa lost their game against Liverpool 2-0 and were second best for much of the game in the absence of the suspended Gabriel Agbonlahor and strike partner Bent who picked up a thigh injury in training on Tuesday.

Manager Alex McLeish kept Bent's injury under wraps from the media ahead of the game and defended his decision after the game.

He said: ''Darren had a scan during the week. It confirmed he had a grade one injury, I didn't reveal it because I wanted to keep things back from Liverpool. You have to understand that. I didn't want Liverpool knowing our starting line-up. If players are injured, I don't necessarily think we have to declare that they are injured.''

But Bent was forced to respond to criticism on the social networking site after he was seen picking up some last-minute Christmas shopping while the game was on.

He said: ''Nothing is more important to me than playing football, sadly injury meant I wasn't able to do that today. Gutted not to be involved. I hope to be back very soon. Watched the majority of the game on TV. Never knew popping out would cause an issue and for that I apologise.''

For more on Football, visit ESPNsoccernet.com

Comments

• no wonder he didn't want to watch it, Villa were awful.

however, why wasn't he at the game?

this should be moved to the "New striker in January" thread 

• I think we need a "Non story" category. This can be the first one.
  • I think we need a "Non story" category. This can be the first one.

Darren Bent is always a story to proper Charlton supporters.
  • I wouldn't know.

I bumped into Kev Dowling the other night in The Beehive. He's back at Barclays!

• I wouldn't know.

I bumped into Kev Dowling the other night in The Beehive. He's back at Barclays!

FFS....can't you stick to the subject in the thread......some people honestly!
  • I miss whispers.
  • There is an inbox. Pretty much the same thing.
  • Benty will be taking his missus out to dinner next. Complete reprobate.

As long as its not up the Oxo its allowed. 
  • Sponsored links:

Is that what Steve Bruce said?

Is that what Steve Bruce said?
    Not to me he didn't! 
  • FFS.

Send him to us.

• Without doubt one of the biggest wastes of talent playing at a middle of the road football club at the moment.
  • He's only in it for the money
  • I love Darren but this last year he hasn't really done himself any favours really. Didn't really show Sunderland any loyalty last January to join a mid table Villa side.

I know Villa fans aren't liking McLeish though and reckon they've might've had a bust up
  • To be fair when he went there Villa looked perfect for him with Downing and Young putting chances to him on a plate. Now Villa have lost them and not really replaced them. Alex M has just made Villa teh most boring team after Blackburn.
  • I love Darren but this last year he hasn't really done himself any favours really. Didn't really show Sunderland any loyalty last January to join a mid table Villa side.

I know Villa fans aren't liking McLeish though and reckon they've might've had a bust up
    To be fair though, Bent's departure from Sunderland had more to it than just 'football reasons'
  • Think it's ridiculous that he's getting stick for going shopping, the Villa fans seem to be a strange bunch can't understand why they were booing Downing at the weekend either because he's moved on to a bigger and better club in Liverpool that his form deserved and given the direction Villa were and are heading in who can blame him?

Bent deserves to be playing in a better team right now and a commentator or pundit said the other week that the season Villa are having 'wasn't in the brochure' when he joined and I agree, hope he moves on in January because it would be a shame and outrageous if he isn't England's number 1 striker for at least the first two matches of the Euros.

• edited December 2011
    Even though he's still worshipped down here it's getting harder to stay on his side about issues. We criticise Villa fans but how many of us would have been happy for Bent to swan off to Bluewater when he was injured throughtout the season?

He was treated unfairly at Spurs and sulked his way into a move to Sunderland and within 18 months (?) had pleaded his way out into a move to Villa. I don't know how they feel about him at Ipswich but we seem to be the only fans that hold him in high regard. Recently I've started to wonder if we still would if there had been twitter when he was here
  • Sponsored links:

• To be fair he had every right to sulk a Spurs after Harry embrassed him in teh way he did.
  • He was treated unfairly at Spurs and sulked his way into a move to Sunderland and within 18 months (?) had pleaded his way out into a move to Villa. 
    As Leroy stated above, there was more to it than football reasons. In addition, pretty much every striker Steve Bruce signed for Sunderland wanted out within 18 months: Bent, Kenwyne Jones and Asamoah Gyan. 
  • i've got more of a problem with the mongrel 'journalist' member of the public who catches him on film & then posts it on a social media site....grow up ffs.