Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dodgy emails

edited December 2011 in Not Sports Related
Has anybody been getting emails like this ?

This e-mail has been sent to you by Halifax UK to inform you that your account will be deactivated within the next 24 hours due to several unsuccessful login attemps on it.

To prevent this to happen please login securely to our activation link below:

Also had one the other day from the bank that I have an account with which I also thought was a bit dodgy, this one I don't even have an account with Halifax. Haven't opened either link as obviously dodgy. Just wondered if a scam or a virus ?

Comments

• That will be a scam sir
  • I have had several of these in the past - all from different 'banks'. I always report as phishing scams and definitely wouldn't open them.
  • It's a scam. There is an email address to report this stuff to if you go to halifax's proper website. Dont open the links to the email though, just send them a screenshot.

• There's loads of them mate.  I often don't even see them as they go straight into my spam folder. 

Just delete and move on.  If you get one from your own bank, try and let them know if you can.  They are spending more and more time trying to shut sites down that send these out as soon as they find them.

• It is only the Nigerian e-mails offering to put squillions of pounds into your account that are legitimate.  Michael slater did this and he bought a football club with the interest.
  • Get loads of these all the time - do not ever put details in to the log in as you will have your account cleared very quickly - one of my clients lost £40,000 and he's a policeman!!!
  • Get these all the time delete anything to do with Banks or any other form of account be suspended
  • Thanks had to be dodgy I know because i don't use internet access even with my own bank just wondered how prevalent this is.

Appreciate the rapid response tho nice one

• All good stuff here if its a bank I don't have an account with then I just delete if it's  my bank I send the mail to their phishing department hopefully to help them eradicate this activity.
  • I've had it. It's dodgy . Just delete it after you have reported it to Halifax .
  • Sponsored links:

• So what you're saying is that Mr. Nkongi the son of a deceased bank manager in Lagos isn't genuine ?
  • All good stuff here if its a bank I don't have an account with then I just delete if it's  my bank I send the mail to their phishing department hopefully to help them eradicate this activity.
    you're a busy man Dave, to save you the trouble of contacting your bank to report this, just send me all your bank details and passwords, and I'll do it for you  :-)
  • So what you're saying is that Mr. Nkongi the son of a deceased bank manager in Lagos isn't genuine ?
    Of course he is SHG, I am just waiting to hear back from once he has verified my bank account details
  • All the time.. Keep getting them from paypal claiming that my card has been hacked into and that i need to re-confirm my details. The sad thing about these e-mails are that the more vunerable people fall for them.
  • thanks redlanered keep an eye on your inbox
  • How long have you had an email address for? I am stunned this is the first time you've seena n email like this - I tend to get one a day.

Banks never send emails about your account, only email advertising products / services you have to apply for.

• How long have you had an email address for? I am stunned this is the first time you've seena n email like this - I tend to get one a day.

Banks never send emails about your account, only email advertising products / services you have to apply for.

This, I get at least one a day at work and plenty to my personal account. HSBC, Nat West, Barclays, Paypal, you name it I get em. 
  • me and two mates got this at the exact same time today 
  • edited December 2011

My son got one recently saying it was from the Inland Revenue saying he was due a £87 odd rebate. I have to say it did look real.

Unfortinately my dopey son filled in the form and sent it back. He rang me to say he didn't know what the problem was but the form wouldn't go. I told him straight away it was dodgy.

He got a phone call on the Monday from his bank saying his card had been refused at Comet in Winchester for a £900 purchase.

As I told him after it's a good job he's skint.

• Yep the revenue one was well advertised as being dodgy basically no financial institution will send an e-mail asking for account details it's that simple and yet people fall for it all the time
  • Sponsored links:

• I get a brilliant one from Heineken quite frequently.  It's so badly done it's hard to believe anyone could fall for it.
  • If you read your online banking T&Cs they say they will never email you about your account. So any email from a bank can be dismissed pretty much.
  • I get a brilliant one from Heineken quite frequently.  It's so badly done it's hard to believe anyone could fall for it.
    If only Carlsberg did email scams!
  • There's loads of them mate.  I often don't even see them as they go straight into my spam folder. 

Just delete and move on.  If you get one from your own bank, try and let them know if you can.  They are spending more and more time trying to shut sites down that send these out as soon as they find them.

They're fighting a losing battle there. These mails are mostly sent out by botnets (a group of thousands, sometimes millions) of PCs that have been compromised. They refer to links that change hourly, delivering malware packages that morph constantly to keep them under the radar of most security software, and log keystrokes to machines in jurisdictions where the authorities couldn't give a shit about a bunch of dopey Englishmen getting their accounts rinsed. Until people are educated/sensible enough to stop getting caught by scams, this will never be stopped. All this 'please send us reports of any scam mails' nonsense is the equivalent of the copper coming round after some c*** has burgled you and having a nice cup of tea and telling you they'll try their hardest to get your stuff back - it's a PR exercise. Don't waste your time reporting it, delete it and move on.

They're fighting a losing battle there. These mails are mostly sent out by botnets (a group of thousands, sometimes millions) of PCs that have been compromised. They refer to links that change hourly, delivering malware packages that morph constantly to keep them under the radar of most security software, and log keystrokes to machines in jurisdictions where the authorities couldn't give a shit about a bunch of dopey Englishmen getting their accounts rinsed. Until people are educated/sensible enough to stop getting caught by scams, this will never be stopped. All this 'please send us reports of any scam mails' nonsense is the equivalent of the copper coming round after some c*** has burgled you and having a nice cup of tea and telling you they'll try their hardest to get your stuff back - it's a PR exercise. Don't waste your time reporting it, delete it and move on.
    Exactly.
  • If it's too good to be true, delete it. Best thing to do is ignore anything that you don't recognise.

• Please do as SHG and EastStandMike suggest and supply your bank details to me.  I can assure you that I will happily share the contents of my late father's bank with all of you.

signed  Mr Nkongi
  • The ones I receive on a daily basis are from the PPI office wanting to send me a refund.

Think I'll leave it there to accumalate more interest....................................
  • If you want a good laugh at the 419 scam (Mr Nkongi and partners) visit www.419eater.com

Great fun if you've got time to take them on, and keeps them from bothering others.

• What is your banking details, I have some monies to share.

Mr Nkongi