Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

On Weald of Kent.

edited November 2011 in Not Sports Related

On Weald of Kent I watched once more

Again I heard that grumbling roar-

of fighter planes, yet none were near

and all around the sky was clear

borne on the wind a whisper came-

though men grow old, they stay the same

and then I knew unseen to eye-

the ageless few were sweeping by.

Comments

• Nice one SoundAs.

I'm going to The White Hart at Brasted tomorrow, which I am sure you know was the drinking hole for the 'Few' from Biggin Hill and other airfields during the Battle of Britain.
    The pub still has the blackboard signed by the pilots during the B of B and other memorabilia, and it is still frequented on occasion by some of the few who live locally.
  • edited November 2011

Thanks Greenie...have a lovely day.

Last summer I attended the funeral of  Bob Doe a well known Battle of Britain Spitfire Ace in Crowborough....he was one of the 'few'.

It was a truly wonderful service attended by a number of present day high ranking airforce personnel as well as some of the 'few'.

You will often see Bob being interviewed on some of the WW2 documentaries about The Battle of Britain...he was such a modest and charming man.

• Thanks Greenie...have a lovely day.

Last summer I attended the funeral of  Bob Doe a well known Battle of Britain Spitfire Ace in Crowborough....he was one of the 'chosen few'.

It was a truly wonderful service attended by a number of present day high ranking airforce personnel as well as some of the 'chosen few'.

You will often see Bob being interviewed on some of the WW2 documentaries about The Battle of Britain...he was such a modest and charming man.

Yes I think I remember you posting the same on here.
    I have a lovely first day cover signed by Bob from the 50th anniversary of the B of B.
    A top fella and so unassuming too!
  • What a lovely memento.

• edited November 2011
    he was one of the 'chosen few'.
    He was in the 70 reggae band?  Seems odd.  : - )

I think you meant one of "the few"

No disrespect meant
  • Greenie, if you are going to the White Hart at Brasted, one of the many pilots signatures there is that of Bob Tuck. If you get a chance to read his biography written in the 1950's called Fly For Your Life, its well worth a read. Maybe out of print but I'm sure you can get it second hand from somewhere.
  • Greenie, if you are going to the White Hart at Brasted, one of the many pilots signatures there is that of Bob Tuck. If you get a chance to read his biography written in the 1950's called Fly For Your Life, its well worth a read. Maybe out of print but I'm sure you can get it second hand from somewhere.
    Cheers Bing, will look out for it.
    Thanks
  • Nice one SoundAs.

I'm going to The White Hart at Brasted tomorrow, which I am sure you know was the drinking hole for the 'Few' from Biggin Hill and other airfields during the Battle of Britain.
    The pub still has the blackboard signed by the pilots during the B of B and other memorabilia, and it is still frequented on occasion by some of the few who live locally.
    There's a cool little Battle of Britain museum at Shoreham.  My cycling club sometimes stops by there for a cuppa on route back from Westerham.  Well worth a look if you're local.
  • Cheers JohnBoyUK

Im only 15 mins away will visit when it re-opens.
  • edited July 2017
    Bump.