Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Classic computer games

edited November 2011 in Not Sports Related
Just curious as to which games people have enjoyed over the years.

As someone who has had a PC since the early 90's, a PS/PS2 & PS3 I have enjoyed many games over the years.

To list a few:

Championship/Football Manager. A game I have lost too many hours to over the last 18 years.

PES
(although FIFA has since taken over). Love a good match, especially when a mate pops over and kicks my arse. :-/

Sims
. Always makes me laugh. Love setting up weird scenarios. The best being a lunatic asylum full of crazys!

All the GTA series. The detail that goes into these games is mind-blowing, and they're getting bigger & better with every release.

Full Spectrum Warrior
. Loved this (& the 2nd one) battle sim where you control a team, rather than one player.

Abes Odessy
series. One of the funniest titles ever IMO. Great puzzle/platform game.

Parappa the Rappa
. Very early predecessor to things like guitar hero, where you have to push buttons in time and sequence to complete the rap. Stupid graphics that made it quite funny.

F1
. Nothing better than tearing around tarmac at 200mph and nothing more frustrating than spinning out on the last corner and throwing away the lead.

Assasins Creed
series. Great gameplay/storylines. Love to sneak up behind guards and jab them with a nice dose of poison, watching them flail wildly with their weapon as the insanity kicks in before death. Looking forward to the 4th in the series.

Tiger Woods
. Rubbish at Golf in real life but love going toe-to-toe with Tiger & co. Not much beats a great recovery from the bunker and to hear the 'plop' as it rolls home. Let down only by the online play.

And many more......................................

Comments

• Championship/Football Manager - These games have been the best and worst thing ever invented, I started playing them in 1995 and and still play now and again (my laptop would blow up if I tried the new one!). I spent my whol GCSE revision playing these, same at Uni, they are so addictive!
  • would add metal gear solid and Tomb raider to that

but classic for me would be the games on the amega

• Or Sensible Soccer on the Mega Drive!

• Or Sensible Soccer on the Mega Drive!

I used to have Sensi soccer on the Amiga. Also Kick off which was very similar. Thought they were the mutts back in the day. How things have moved on............
  • as I am in my mid 40's I have to say that "computer" games to me mean Asteroids,& Space Invaders !!

As for these new fangled ones - my kids have DS and a WiI and so I've tried a few of those............my fav being Mariocart and the Golf game on the "freebie" Wii sports. 

• edited November 2011
    Rollecoaster Tycoon
    Chrash Bandicoot
    Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega
    Age of Empires

and recent games would be Red Dead Redemption and the Uncharted series (Uncharted 3 launches tomorrow!)

Naughty Dog's games in general :)

• Manic miner. Jet pack. Chuckie Egg.
  • worms

donkey kong

• Settlers 3/4
    Civilization 3

Still play both of 'em!

• Lemmings!
  • Sponsored links:

• worms

donkey kong

This isn't a thread about medical problems Suzi. ;-)
  • edited November 2011
    I really like the whole battlefield series. 

I also like quite a few on that list as well.
  • Age of empires on pc...great games
  • @Addickted4life So does my eldest. He's bloody good at it as well, git.
  • Crazy Taxi

Worms

Theme Hospital
  • Roland on the ropes and Bombjack (amstrad).

Golden axe and world cup italia 90 (master system)

fifa 95 and sonic the hedgehog and sensible soccer (mega drive)

Tomb raider 1, final fantasy V11 and all the pro evo games (ps1)

All the prov evo games (ps2)

Trying to get into the ps3 now but just cant find the time to play it :(

• Brian Bloodaxe

Jet Set Willy

Elite

• Lemmings - didn't do any work for several weeks in 1994 until I had finished it all. Taught me to stay away from computer games.
  • Stronghold is another pc title I love.
  • edited November 2011

I remember years ago sending the kids to bed early so I could play games on their Atari 'Woody', then 64, then Amiga. Have just got Lemmings and Boulderdash from e-bay for the PC. Great fun and about the liit of my computer skills!

• Sponsored links:

• This will probably be a Henry-free zone. He's still amazed with typing shell & boobies on his calculator. ;-)
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Best game ever made
  • I like the old Sonic The Hedgehog on Sega.  Sonic Spinball was the best.
  • Alex the kidd on the master system
  • Crazy Taxi

Worms

Theme Hospital
    and Theme Park!

Final Fantasy VII
  • Bounder on the C64
    Arkanoid on the Atari ST
    Moonstone on the Amiga
    Gods on the Megadrive
    Super Mario World on the SNES
    All the NHL games from about 92
    Silent Hill
    Resident Evil
    Tomb Raider

and of course, the ultimate game - I've never played a better one - Portal 2
  • edited November 2011
    Just curious as to which games people have enjoyed over the years.

As someone who has had a PC since the early 90's, a PS/PS2 & PS3 I have enjoyed many games over the years.

To list a few:

Championship/Football Manager. A game I have lost too many hours to over the last 18 years.

PES
    (although FIFA has since taken over). Love a good match, especially when a mate pops over and kicks my arse. :-/

Sims
    . Always makes me laugh. Love setting up weird scenarios. The best being a lunatic asylum full of crazys!

All the GTA series. The detail that goes into these games is mind-blowing, and they're getting bigger & better with every release.

Full Spectrum Warrior
    . Loved this (& the 2nd one) battle sim where you control a team, rather than one player.

Abes Odessy
    series. One of the funniest titles ever IMO. Great puzzle/platform game.

Parappa the Rappa
    . Very early predecessor to things like guitar hero, where you have to push buttons in time and sequence to complete the rap. Stupid graphics that made it quite funny.

F1
    . Nothing better than tearing around tarmac at 200mph and nothing more frustrating than spinning out on the last corner and throwing away the lead.

Assasins Creed
    series. Great gameplay/storylines. Love to sneak up behind guards and jab them with a nice dose of poison, watching them flail wildly with their weapon as the insanity kicks in before death. Looking forward to the 4th in the series.

Tiger Woods
    . Rubbish at Golf in real life but love going toe-to-toe with Tiger & co. Not much beats a great recovery from the bunker and to hear the 'plop' as it rolls home. Let down only by the online play.

And many more......................................

Definitely a football first bloke, eh?

My personal choices:

PC:
    -Baldur's Gate 2 (Greatest RPG of all time, closely followed by...)
    -Fallout 1 & 2
    -Secret of Monkey Island
    -Half Life 
    -Deus Ex
    -Starcraft
    -Civilization II
    -Rome: Total War
    -System Shock 2
    -Sim City 2000

Console:
    -Final Fantasy VII
    -Super Mario World
    -Super Mario Bros. 3
    -Super Mario 64
    -Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (probably the best game ever made, imo)
    -Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    -Golden Eye 007
    -Halo
    -Chrono Trigger
    -Street Fighter II Turbo

Definitive list right there, end of.  Sports games are a good laugh but none of them come close to the immersion and quality of the above.  On second thought, honorable mention goes to Sensible Soccer!  Now where did I put my Amiga?

• Monkey Island
    Flashback
    Goldeneye on N64.
    Doom
    Wolfenstein
  • Oh I loved the Crash Bandicots on PS1 and PS2, and the Medal of Honours too!

How things have moved on with games