Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New report on safe standing

The Football Supporters` Federation has today (Wed 30 May 2007) launched a major new report Safe Standing at Major Stadia in England & Wales - a 21st Century Solution.

The report advocates the introduction of safe standing areas at major stadia in England & Wales hosting Premier League and Football League Championship matches. Standing areas at grounds in the top two divisions are currently banned by Government regulations, following the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.

Commenting on the report FSF national council member and Portsmouth fan Pam Wilkins said, 'I know thousands of Pompey fans, as well as supporters of other teams, will be delighted if their club is given the right to introduce safe standing. It`s probably one of the few things that most Pompey supporters would agree with most Southampton fans about!'

Her guess wasn`t wrong, Steve Godwin, chair of the Saints Trust said, 'The Saints Trust welcome an open and honest debate on the feasibility of introducing safe standing areas in football stadia in England & Wales'.

In Wales, Cardiff City and Swansea City fans are on the same page on this issue, Swans fan Richard Lillicrap said, 'I think grown-ups should be treated as grown-ups. Those who want to stand should be given that choice.' Bluebirds fan Vince Alm, said, 'I`d like to see safe standing areas at our new ground. Most Cardiff fans I know want a choice. Lots prefer to stand. Why can`t they?'

In Manchester the issue reaches across the blue/red divide. City fan Phill Gatenby said, 'I`ve been campaigning for yonks for standing to be allowed. Why is it I can go to gig, to watch rugby league or union, or even in the cups at lower division grounds and stand, but not watching my own team? The government need to get off supporters` backs and let us enjoy ourselves. It would bring down ticket prices too.' United fan Mark Longden agreed with him. ''Phill and I will agree on just about nothing except this. It`s the only bit of football that most fans in Manchester, blue or red, are agreed on. We want the right to stand.'

In the Potteries, Port Vale and Stoke City fans are united on the issue. City fan Malcolm Clarke said, 'Many Potters would welcome a return of the choice to stand in safety which they used to have at the old Victoria Ground. Most Vale fans I know were very disappointed when the terraces disappeared at their place.' Vale fan Ash Connor said, ''I hesitate to agree with a City fan about anything but Malcolm`s right. All fans should have the right to chose whether to sit or stand at a match.'

Commenting on the report`s contents, FSF Head of Development Steven Powell, an Arsenal supporter said, 'A lot of fans from many different clubs have worked long and hard to produce what I think is a very well-argued case for safe standing. I only hope that the Government and the football authorities sit up and take notice.

Following its launch copies of the report will be posted to all Westminster MPs, Government departments, the football authorities all Assembly Members (AMs) at the National Assembly for Wales, as well as many others. 'We`re looking for a calm, fact-based debate on this issue' said Powell, 'Supporters who prefer to stand deserve no less.'

The report`s foreword has been written by Dr Anne Eyres, a survivor of the Hillsborough tragedy.

http://www.fsf.org.uk

Comments

• Excellent report blows all the myths out of the water
  • I have always said safe standing is possible and it is just far too easy to just poo poo it because of past events, it's laziness, we have the technology and overbearing stewards (love them or hate them) to do it.
  • Trouble is reports like the alleged behaviour of the scouser fans in Greece and other incidents set the cause back years regardless of the undoubted merits of the arguments.
  • But even that shouldn't effect it.

I understand form Europe that they almost have like cattle stales which avoid surges and if it is stewarded effectively with modern turnstile technology there should be no excuse for people being able to bunk in.
  • RICHARD LILLICRAP, LOL WHAT A NAME (shitcaps!)
  • [cite]Posted By: mad83[/cite]But even that shouldn't effect it.

I understand form Europe that they almost have like cattle stales which avoid surges and if it is stewarded effectively with modern turnstile technology there should be no excuse for people being able to bunk in.

I agree that it is largely irrelevant but we are talking about politicians here.

They will take any excuse to maintain the status quo unless they can see votes in doing something different.
  • You’re right Len.

The government just panders to what wins votes, and the reason it win votes is because the majority don't know the facts, technological advances and the full story so they let their judgement be tugged by the sad events of the past.
  • Even if the Government changes the law and allows safe standing I still can't see that it makes economic sense for clubs to spend money modifying their existing stands for no extra revenue. Spectators will still have the same amount of space as with a seat, so no extra capacity, but the work will have to be paid for somehow - so that would only mean higher prices. It just doesn't stack up for me.
  • How would you implement it at Charlton and where would you designate as a standing area? The North Upper is constantly on their feet, but would it be safe to have a standing area in an elevated section of the ground?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]How would you implement it at Charlton and where would you designate as a standing area? The North Upper is constantly on their feet, but would it be safe to have a standing area in an elevated section of the ground?
    The north lower would be fine for standing.
  • realistically, long term, the north lower and a rebuilt South stand.
  • But then would those who sit in the North Lower want to stand? Those who didn't, how would they react to being told Stand or move. As much as I would like to see it, its not feasible!
  • I still reckon the cost would be prohibitive - for no real gain. If the economics made sense then fine, but they don't.

It's different for new stands of course, so it could work in the JS - but then that's for away fans anyway so of no real benefit to us.
  • How much would it cost to rip up a few seats? - could just chuck the keys to our local travelling community and the seats would disappear over night.

Should be able to get double the number in a safe standing section.........
  • [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]
    Should be able to get double the number in a safe standing section.........

Yeah, let's shoe horn double the number in - just like the good old days.

A safe standing area would not be like the standing areas of the past. The sausage munchers quite often have seats with a barrier in front so you can sit down or stand up. If that's the case then you'd get no more standing than you currently get sitting - LOCKED ON FACT!
  • Bring back the terraces!And beer in the ground!
  • [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]Bring back the terraces!And beer in the ground!

And smoking!!!