Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

China and Tiawan - Help needed

Can any Addicks confirm the status of Taiwan in relation to the People's republic of China.

Just had an e-mail from a person in China saying that the flag of China on the OS is missing the island of Taiwan which is a "terrible mistake" as it is part of China.

I thought they were separate states but PR China claimed sovereignty over Taiwan.

BTW Free Tibet but let's not discuss politics or AFKA will sink the thread.

Comments

• Options
    China still claim Taiwan but it is a free state I believe.
  • Options
    Two options -
    1 - check with the Taiwanese embassy
    2 - check with the Chinese embassy
  • Options
    The People's Republic of China (PRC) does not recognise Taiwan as a legitimate separate State. After the Chinese Revolution which ended in 1949 the Nationalists fled from the mainland to Taiwan (under the Kuomintang/ Chiang Kai Shek) and basically set up a government independent of the PRC/Chinese mainland.

They claim autonomy on the basis that their State (the Republic of China/ROC) was in existence before the PRC, was never formally dissolved and therefore the latter is the illegitimate State. The PRC however claim that as Taiwan was part of China before the revolution that the new State should incorpaorate Taiwan as well.

Essentially both sides have never agreed that the other is the legit State, or to allow each to go their separate ways, which has been the de facto case since 1949.

Internationally it is a bit tricky and relies on ambiguity. Some States recognise that Taiwan is an independent nation, but most, including the UK "acknowledge" it rather than recogise its independence. In terms of the UN, China has a seat on the UN and in the Security Council, while Taiwan has no UN representation.

Yet Taiwan can claim to meet the basic standards of a State - a geographical locality, common people, functioning government and can enter into diplomatic negotiations with overseas nations (these basic standards were outlined at the Montevideo Convention in 1933).
  • Options
    From the CIa Factbook:

In 1895, military defeat forced China to cede Taiwan to Japan. Taiwan reverted to Chinese control after World War II. Following the Communist victory on the mainland in 1949, 2 million Nationalists fled to Taiwan and established a government using the 1946 constitution drawn up for all of China. Over the next five decades, the ruling authorities gradually democratized and incorporated the local population within the governing structure. In 2000, Taiwan underwent its first peaceful transfer of power from the Nationalist to the Democratic Progressive Party. Throughout this period, the island prospered and became one of East Asia's economic "Tigers." The dominant political issues continue to be the relationship between Taiwan and China - specifically the question of eventual unification - as well as domestic political and economic reform.

doesn't really clear things up though. Though from what I understand it is essentially a seperate state from China but most governments/media are ambiguous about it because they want access to markets in China.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]Two options -
    1 - check with the Taiwanese embassy
    2 - check with the Chinese embassy[/quote]

This is the nearest thing to a Taiwanese Embassy in the UK:

http://www.roc-taiwan.org.uk/about_us.html

Not an Embassy as such with an Ambassador etc, but a "representative office".
  • Options
    Taiwan - made in China
    China - made in Taiwan

Doe's that help?
  • Options
    So basically, so we don't p*ss off our potential new revenue streams in the far east, we just take the blooming flag off the OS!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Can any Addicks confirm the status of Taiwan in relation to the People's republic of China.

Just had an e-mail from a person in China saying that the flag of China on the OS is missing the island of Taiwan which is a "terrible mistake" as it is part of China.

I thought they were separate states but PR China claimed sovereignty over Taiwan.

that guy would be me, >.< I thought I sent the email to a guy called Matt Wright which I found the address on OS, how could it ends up with my email forwarded here. lol
  • Options
    That Guy Henry Irving is the supporters director, so he was fishing for info here. Also known as Ben Hayes and if you read some of the other message boards Bernice at weekends... personally I think it is a viscous rumour.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sp00ky[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Can any Addicks confirm the status of Taiwan in relation to the People's republic of China.

that guy would be me, >.< I thought I sent the email to a guy called Matt Wright which I found the address on OS, how could it ends up with my email forwarded here. lol

Welcome Spooky, the e-mail came direct to me as well on my Supporters' Director e-mail, presumably as you got the address from the OS as well.

Kap, Bernice? Never On SexyCardigans.com I'm Susan : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sp00ky[/cite]

Welcome Spooky, the e-mail came direct to me as well on my Supporters' Director e-mail, presumably as you got the address from the OS as well.

Kap, Bernice? Never On SexyCardigans.com I'm Susan : - )

Thank you for the welcome, Susan.
    Ya, I got the address from the OS, I guess I've sent it to more one person then, lol.