Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Wilson

edited August 2007 in Not Sports Related
Don't know if anyone else heard he passed away the other day. Thought I'd bring it up to give to nod to a music legend.

If he didn't work so hard to get bands like Joy Division, then New Order, the Happy Mondays and a good few others heard the Manchester scene might not have happened. And there would have been no World In Motion.

Rest in peace Tony

Comments

• Options
    great man RIP
  • Options
    Tony wilson by all accounts was a top bloke,Factory records was a class label and put out some great records, also had the biggest ever selling 12" with New Order,Blue monday which LOST Money,plus the famous HACIENDA night club, a Salon and a coffe bar and was a tv presenter, the label owned NOTHING and made nothing,put out the very 1st 7" by OMITD - Electricity in a limited edition braile sleeve?Limited edition because the pressing plant had never pressed a single with a Braile cover and caught fire,production was stopped.
    Factory was about art and music,the boardroom had chairs suspended from the ceiling, when i was running Bonaparte records in Bromley i ordered the new Durutti Column lp - the return of, it was Packaged in a thick sandpaper Sleeve,must have cost a fortune BUT that was Factory,innovative and exciting.
    Tony Wilson Was a Man u supporter who also worked along side Rob Gretton who was a Man City supporter, both are now up there with Ian curtis(Joy Division)
    As Carter posted earlier Manchester has produced some great bands over the years.
  • Options
    The Mondays, Inspirals and Roses (in no particular order) shaped my musical upbringing.

Very sad to see him go.

RIP Tony
  • Options
    While factory/hacienda was before my time, it says a lot about the blokes influence on British music in the long run that me and most of my mates know and appreciate what he did.The integrity of his ethos is sadly missing in music these days imo, and he deserves the utmost resect for bringing the world Joy Division.RIP
  • Options
    The irony was that When factory went bust all the MAJOR Labels wanted to buy the label lock stock and barrel but Factory did everything on a hand shake basis so no contracts were signed and no one owned anything so there was nothing to buy, classic indie top class label.
  • Options
    Haha yeah, the only paperwork they had was a contract written in Tony's blood with Joy Division!