Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

James Beattie - Sheff Utd £4m

edited July 2007 in Rumours
Looks like he'll be dropping down to the CCC if they can agree wages (he's still looking for £40k p/w).

Looks like we had a right result when he turned us down!

Having said that he will (should) score goals at this level

Comments

• Options
    Will he stay fit?
  • Options
    fat, the geezer is just plain fat, oh and rubbish.
  • Options
    i think he would be perfect in this Div but he;; never ever get that sort of dough
  • Options
    he's a confidence player, however he has gone for too long with no confidence and injuries to be the player he was years ago.
  • Options
    i bet everton haven't laughed so much since they got silly money for that other pony striker a while back......
  • Options
    I really can't see him dropping down to the CCC, there will be at least three or four Prem clubs who will be in for him as well despite his recent poor form. The likes of Blackburn, Boro, Birmingham and Fulham would all have to be in for someone with his record. As has been discussed on here before its very rare for Prem players to drop down these days because of the gap in wages.
  • Options
    he had one decent season and is still living off past glories. a mediocre player at best.
  • Options
    Very harsh, Jayblock!

In the four seasons from 2000/2001 to 2003/2004 the bloke scored 60 goals in 140 Premiership games for an ordinary Saints side. That's an average of 15 goals per season over four season which is pretty good in anyones book and not far off being a goal every game.

Admittedly he's been poor for Everton but he is still a very good player that is too good to drop down into the CCC.
  • Options
    John Hartson is available for £250k, I'd rather take a punt on him than Beattie for £4m !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Very harsh, Jayblock!

In the four seasons from 2000/2001 to 2003/2004 the bloke scored 60 goals in 140 Premiership games for an ordinary Saints side. That's an average of 15 goals per season over four season which is pretty good in anyones book and not far off being a goal every game.

Admittedly he's been poor for Everton but he is still a very good player that is too good to drop down into the CCC.

not when you compare what salary he does / would command.

Note the most recent of those seasons were 4 years ago, and i'd be interested to know how many of those were penalties.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At Saints, they played to his strengths and built their attacking movement around him, providing plenty of service from the wings.

At Everton, he was signed to fit into existing tactics and expected to work the channels and graft often as a lone striker, much like Marcus Bent had done for them before - and in the way Darren Bent mostly played for Charlton.

Beattie is too much of a carthorse to play that role - big and physically strong but not particularly athletic and lacking pace.
  • Options
    Don't know how many pens are in there but being a Saints player I doubt if there were that many!!!

I think that Everton have misused Beattie to be fair, they have not got a lot of width in their team whereas with Saints they bombed in crosses from McCann, Bridge, Telfer and Oakley and he scored a lot of goals in the air.

He is not international class but still a decent Prem player who is too good to play CCC at this stage. I feel if he played in a side with decent wide men then he'd be a real handful.