Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

pubs closing rumours.

over the weekend i have heard from 3 people who have told me about different pubs closing down or landlords not renewing their leases.
the pubs in question are;
park tavern- definately closed on sunday. they had a closing party saturday night.
royal eltham- rumour it's closed.
royal tavern- recently sold on after late license was refused. new owners didn't last too long and now closed.
glenmore arms- rumour lease not being renewed.
roses- not renewing lease. building may be sold.

i don't know how near the truth these rumours are and 1 or 2 may have closed anyhow. but when i heard that roses is closed (recently camra pub of the year x 2 years) it has got me wondering about whether the smoking ban has already begun to put doubts into people investing in pubs.
this isn't an attempt to bring the whole smoking debate up again, (although it was a good thread with both sides well argued), but just to ask if anyone has heard similar rumours about those pubs or if the same is happening all over.

Comments

• Options
    where's roses mate ?
  • Options
    Hare St Woolwich?
  • Options
    its a shame if roses has shut down.. one of the only decent boozers in woolwich..

anyone remember years ago when they had that round pool table?
  • Options
    Roses in across the road from the Waterfront in Woolwich, its about 50 yards up on the right. Ended up there a couple of times last season coming home from aways games to meet a mate, on both occasions there was no more than 5 people in there. Pubs have been losings punters for years and the no smoking law has little effect on these recent closures. There is a lease for sale sign up on the Glenmore.
  • Options
    There's a huge redevelopment scheme planned for the area around Rose's in Woolwich, which will no doubt have some bearing on its future. Funny little place, but about the only pub in Woolwich with any charm to it.

Never heard of the others, no idea where they are (although the Royal Eltham must have a clue in its name somewhere...)
  • Options
    good ridance to the royal eltham , scary dump of a pub.

park tavern was always alright if you were a local if not then forget it.

royal tavern has been full of trouble making scum ever since the crossways shut which was itslelf an alright boozer till the king and queen shut .
  • Options
    Went past the Horse and Groom on Saturday to see what was happening with it and they were refurbishing, looked in the window and saw a sign saying 'NO UNDER 21'S, NO ID NO ENTRY'. Being 18 and a regular visitor to the H&G even on non-matchdays, i went into a state of rage!! Does anyone know the new landlord so i can tell him to get his house in order and put it back to the actual legal age of drinking? (Well, I'll try and put it that nicely but i cant guarantee i wont say the f word a few times!!)
  • Options
    I don't think you'll have any problems on matchday Crispy...
  • Options
    Probs not but im getting fed up of pubs and clubs going up to over 21's just cause young twats cause trouble, i just get pissed and go home and im happy, now i wont be able to go in my local when i want. Couldnt get in the cactus pit either because there were 18 and 19 year olds causing trouble and they moved the age limit up, if there gonna keep up with this they may as well just make the legal age 21!
  • Options
    21s is to scare the 16 and 17 year olds off, you'll be fine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i think that no under 21s has been up for donkeys. and it certainly doesnt mean match day it would mean any other day of the week on non match days.

would be nice tho to keep out all the 18 and 19 year olds.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    would be nice tho to keep out all the 18 and 19 year olds.

lol i must be getting old as I do agree LOL
  • Options
    Im not denying that 18 and 19 year olds are a pain in the arse nowadays but im 18 and i feel that im sensible enough to go out and enjoy a few beers with mates without fear of getting kicked out because i aint the type to go and cause trouble
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CrispyCAFC[/cite]Went past the Horse and Groom on Saturday to see what was happening with it and they were refurbishing, looked in the window and saw a sign saying 'NO UNDER 21'S, NO ID NO ENTRY'. Being 18 and a regular visitor to the H&G even on non-matchdays, i went into a state of rage!! Does anyone know the new landlord so i can tell him to get his house in order and put it back to the actual legal age of drinking? (Well, I'll try and put it that nicely but i cant guarantee i wont say the f word a few times!!)

Good job it's not No under 25's as Riscardo might struggle to get in.
  • Options
    Rose's has been sold - it was the old owners' last day last week. Don't know what's happening with it, though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CrispyCAFC[/cite]Went past the Horse and Groom on Saturday to see what was happening with it and they were refurbishing, looked in the window and saw a sign saying 'NO UNDER 21'S, NO ID NO ENTRY'. Being 18 and a regular visitor to the H&G even on non-matchdays, i went into a state of rage!! Does anyone know the new landlord so i can tell him to get his house in order and put it back to the actual legal age of drinking? (Well, I'll try and put it that nicely but i cant guarantee i wont say the f word a few times!!)

It may well be that the matter is pretty much out of his hands.

While much was spouted about 24 hours drinking and the like, the new licensing laws actually give the Police and Local Authorities loads more powers than they had under the old laws. I don't go in the H&G very often, did it have a problem with underage drinking? Could be that this is something that has been imposed by the Police or Local Authority.

I was on a licensing seminar recently and underage drinking is the current big thing. There are a number of new laws that have recently come in specifically to deal with underage drinking and they carry some very hefty penalties if you get caught serving any one underage. Could explain why more places are going over 21's.
  • Options
    hasnt there been a rise in drinking related crimes though, the opposite of what they hoped for..?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]hasnt there been a rise in drinking related crimes though, the opposite of what they hoped for..?

What you need to take into account is that the figures don't show that whole picture. When the new laws first came in, the govenment spent millions putting extra Police out on the streets so it's quite possible that it's not that there is more crime it's just that more people are getting nicked for it due to the increase in police numbers.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    reported crime vs arrests then? I maintain the targets should be for the former not the latter...
  • Options
    This is all very sad.
    I love pubs, real ones, and there are just so few left.
    The Park Tavern was a real pub, not one I frequented but it was real. Eltham has now lost that and The Castle, Kings Arms, Castle, Welcome Inn, Crossways, Yorkshire Grey, Dover Patrol and Man of Kent over the past 10 years or so.
    Ok so maybe none of those were your favs but they were pubs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    and the greyhound as well