Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ref at Gillingham on Saturday

edited July 2007 in General Charlton
Has he started shaving yet? He looks about twelve years old.

Comments

• Options
    The sending off he did was a complete joke despite players from both sides pointing out it was only a friendly.
  • Options
    he might have been getting assessed - if so he had no choice - I know it makes no sense whatsoever but when you are being assessed ( it very likely he was) you have to ref by the book.

Blame the men above I say
  • Options
    Too right Ledge, after all it was a friendly for him as well and if he's begin assessed he would have to do what he'd normally do in a competitive match. I'm sure he would have told the players this before the game.
  • Options
    The Gillingham fans are obviously moaning, but I feel this "it's a friendly" lark is rubbish. If a player commits a professional foul, shouldn't matter if it's a friendly or not... he should be sent off. Why should the rules be different for friendly games?
  • Options
    It does sound harsh and you'd like to think the ref might show some leniency for a friendly but you make a very good point Ledge. No need to blame anyone, I guess it was the right thing to do.
    Perhaps in a friendly you could have the option of replacing a sent off player if the managers agree - since 11 vs 10 doesn't do us or them any favours.
  • Options
    The other side of the argument is, if it was only a friendly, why did the player feel the need to pull him back anyway?
  • Options
    The ref should have told Gillingham to substitute him - that's what usually happens. It worked for us when Poll told Pards to remove Alex Song last season!
  • Options
    The ref should have told Jill's manager to substitute the player immediately - as he was effectively being sent off.

That way the punishment fits the crime:

Charlton get the goal scoring chance of a penalty kick, the player is removed from the game but without receiving a suspension later, and the 'friendly' game can continue without playing out the last 20 minutes uncompetitively.
  • Options
    Did they have any subs left by then?