Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Songs you miss

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
Having just seen an advert using

When skies are grey - as it's music I really miss that song at the Valley

And I will add

Show me the way to go home

I know it was a song of a certain time but I miss it

and to some extent although it does get the odd airing

Goodbye Horse

Any others we should re-instate - I am a follwer now - So unless someone else can be bothered to start I won't join in.

Comments

• Show me the way to go home
    I'm tired and i want to go to bed
    We had a little ground seven seasons ago
    and we got this sh1t instead.
    Wherever we may roam
    the Valley is our home
    And you'll always hear us singing this song
    Show me the way to go home
  • For some reason I get all nostalgic for Goodbye Horse and Yippeeaiay Yippeeaioh
  • Goodbye Horse got an ok sounding on Monday, the chavvy kids didn't know it mind, which is a sad sad thing
  • Come down south have ten pints
  • Speaking of chavvy kids, I had to pull one up on Monday for singing "Super Charlton, coming in". Otherwise he'll never learn.
  • Talking of getting the words wrong has anyone else ever picked up the wrong words and had to be corrected. I remember going to a match when younger and learning a song that i practiced in my room all week till the next match, I turned up with me dad and was itching for this song to get an airing and eventually it came and i joined in with........... 'by far the greatest team in all of tennesse' i was aloud to continue this for about half season before me dad grandad finally pulled the cord on me and told me the real words, apparently they had found this quite funny and so had aloud me to continue.
    probably was not to far from the truth, we might of been.
  • LOL, great stuff. I've never heard anyone sing Come Down South instead of Go Down Pub either.

Not Charlton, but on a similar theme i'd love to mention that my brother as a little un used to sing Bananarama's 'guilty as a girl can be' as 'guilty as a sausage bean', but i know he'll be reading this, so i won't.

:-)
  • Is there anyone out there who can come up with some new stuff, there is some right old toilet on the club website forum. Someone must have musical talent.
  • Maybe I better give up this singing lark then as i seem to get 90% wrong. one that occasionally takes off which is sung to the tune to hey jude with lots la's and charlton at the end.
  • Where's Two-Sheds when you need him?..lol
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2006
    Songs I would like to hear soon from Charlton fans include

one - nill, one, nill
    Easy, easy (old style and without silly arms being waved)
    Now you're going to believe us, the reds are staying up
    It's just like watching Brazil
    5 - 0 to the Londoners
    We want six, we want six

and one new one

Come on you Addicks

I like the Hey Jude song but can't remember us singing it.
  • Hey Jude Charlton is very rare,

also rare is when we have sung 'Top of the league, Charlton' to it

How about 'I was booorn under the Covered End;
  • On the wrong words theme,my mate offered the following version of 'oh South London is wonderful' -
    'Oh Sossy Yurl has won the pools.'

When I quizzed him about how that fitted in with the line about being full of tits etc he said matter of factly, 'well he's obviously got loads of money now he's won the pools so he'd have all the girls round him wouldn't he?' Makes sense!This was in our Selhurst days and he blamed his blunder on not being able to hear the words properly as too few people were singing.Anyway,the tale has such legend amongst us that South London is still referred to as 'Sossy.'
  • Or "we all live at the back of the Covered End" to the tune of yellow submarine.
  • Wem-ber-ley , Wem-ber-ley , we're the famous Charlton FC and we're going to Wem-ber-ley
  • [cite] ns_eb_rj_s?:[/cite]Is there anyone out there who can come up with some new stuff, there is some right old toilet on the club website forum. Someone must have musical talent.

I am not claiming music talent but these lyrics popped into my head a while back:

I stood as a boy,
    On the terraces plain.
    And now as a man,
    I stand here again.
    They took this away -
    Across London we roamed.
    But we found our way back,
    For the Valley's our home.

Probably could do with a second verse or ignoring completely! I know that new songs rarely take off down the Valley, but I'd love to have some more songs to sing down there.

PS: Hello from a new forum member.
  • i actually quite like that ! But then again, i'm an old sentamentalist !

welcome BTW. Judging by your entry gambit, we appear to have a mutual acquantance. Flash g1t. ?-)
  • To the tune of Rasputin by Boney M:

Ra, Ra, Radostin
    Charlton's greatest tackling machine

(needs a bit of work:-) )
  • "Judging by your entry gambit, we appear to have a mutual acquantance. Flash g1t. ?-)"

Ask him whether he has test driven any other "Porch"s of late in Sidcup. Emphasize the porch (as in front of a house) part - you may get a funny story out of him!
  • The whole of the valley singing "Come on you Reds" (twice). What is strange tho is that we still sing come on you reds at away games even tho we are playing in our away kit and if the home team is in red.....??

I am sure we could replace reds with Addicks?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2006
    How about a nostalgic 2nd verse to Valley Floyd Road? I'm sure it can be improved on to scan better???

Led by the legendary Curbishley
    We had Hunt, Kinsella & big, fat Youdsiee,
    Sir Clive, Brown & Rufus
    (But Readfern was dire)
    Singing Valley Floyd Road
    My only desire

or how about this as a tribute to one of my favourite ever CAFC players??

Bag-heri whoah-oh
    Bag-heri whoah-oh
    Is he driving mini-cabs?
    Or serving up kebabs?
  • i remember someone came up with a 2nd verse of VFR, but it was rubbish :-)
  • Pearls before swine :-)

And a third verse and they are both works of genius IMHO.
  • What about the Cupboard End choir ......
  • Vaguely remember a couple of blokes singing at an away game in the Selhurst era 'One S in Seven' instead of 'One SE7' dunno what that was all about.
  • i remember a bloke ringing up the sunday night show once saying he had taught his that
    'oh south london' was full of chips, granny's and Charlton'