Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de france drugs shambles

Yet again more drugs problems, what is it with the tour de france, will now face sponsorship and advertising problems, should we stage this event again. Are all cyclists on drugs?

Comments

• Options
    Are all cyclists on drugs?

In a word, YES! Some get caught, most don't because they keep the levels of what they're taking within the legal limits ie the limits set by the governing body that the body can produce naturally of substances like testosterone and EPO. http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/epo.html

When the doctors get the dosses all wrong the rider goes out of those limits and gets done.

It's obviously a lot more complex than that but I don't want to send you to sleep.

btw, my view is that, as long as everyone stays within the legal limit, it actually makes it a more even playing field, like that F1 race where they all drive the same car?
  • Options
    Oh I don't know, that Kazhakstani guy who changed all his blood over while riding up a mountain, sitting on a razor blade and wearing lycra, deserves the utmost respect.

I can't even make a right hand turn, while free wheeling downhill with a kagoul and a set of bicycle clips on.
  • Options
    Not all of them are on drugs, but the problem is knowing who is, and catching them. The masking agents hide a lot of the drug takers, it's amazing the number of cyclists and athletes for that matter who suffer from asthma, it just happens that one of the drugs to treat asthma is also a masking agent for some steroids.
  • Options
    Much like in society it will be nigh on impossible to get rid of drugs completely. on a purely sporting level I would remove the restrictions and allow anyone to take any measures to improve performance, because the testers will always be a long way behind the folks coming up with the drugs, mainly because there is a lot more money available to them. The problem will be that some of the drugs have damaging side effects and young competitors will be pressured to take them without being told the implications in later life on taking them. The sponsors and tv companies may be the key here. Without them the sport will be far less appealing and they could be the people to apply the pressure needed to do anything about it, although it reality they would probably prefer it if there was no testing done at all as it is a quicker and easier 'solution'
  • Options
    i think german tv has already pulled their coverage of the farce.
  • Options
    I wonder if its a coincidence that they go through Erith , then a week later they're all high as a kite