Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Annoying visual TV cliches

Are there any lazy, tedious TV angles that repeatedly irritate you? I'll kick off with these:
1. A handful of Scousers waving their scarves trying to recreate 1977 next to that geezer with all the badges. Anyone who's been there knows how false the myth that they're deafening at every home game really is.
2. Fans streaming out before the final whistle, especially if it's a game affecting relegation. Sometimes it's just the usual sad early-leavers, but can be made to look synmolic of the club's malaise.
3. The angst-ridden fan just before the final whistle; perhaps with sobbing girlfriend. How do they find one among 25000 fans?
4. Roman f***ing Abramovic! Why? He's just not news any more. We don't see close-ups of Richard Murray every week.
5. Brazilian babes in bikinis - oh OK, that one's not really annoying.

Comments

• Options
    Oops! Synmolic probably played for Hadjuk Split
  • Options
    6. trying to make out what a great game its been when clearly it wasn't
    7. Hearing the crowd cheer, but never getting to see the streaker / pitch invader
  • Options
    Then there's Brian Marwood's uncanny powers of prediction, eg. "There. I said that might happen," as Drogba scores or Watford don't. My! What knowledge 25 years in the game can bring you. Some of the B-team coverage of those ppv games makes you realise how well Tyler / Gray do the feature games.
  • Options
    one thing that bugs me is when commentators/analysts "predict" a substitution is immenent as though he knows exactly what the manager is thinking.
    the fact that the sub has been warming up and is now putting his shin pads on off camera has not influenced his prediction.
  • Options
    Close ups of fat northerners with their tops off and bellys out in mid-February.

Put it away lads.
  • Options
    Sky's obsession with finding tears when someone is getting relegated. If there is a 40-yard bloke balling his eyes out then that's fair game, but hunting the whole ground trying to find a sobbing seven-year old is out of order in my book.
  • Options
    oh and people from the North East being branded 'the best supporters in the country', the same 'best supporters' who desered their clubs in masses in the 80s and early 90s.
  • Options
    Glad that came up. We're constantly told how "passionate" north-east fans are. Obviously those following Bournemouth and Torquay to the likes of Carlisle don't care much. Mindless generalisation - are we really supposed to believe that not wearing a shirt in February makes those dullards more committed to their team? Spot on AFKA; what huge passionate masses we used to witness at Ayersome Park with the floodlight pylons swaying in the sleet. And while we're ranting about those dark pre- "Premiership" days when football wasn't sexy, sub-10,000 crowds at Chelsea weren't unknown - and nobody could blame being priced out.
  • Options
    The pre-match visual clues they give as to where a match is held. If it's Charlton, they'll show a snippet of the Barrier and/or the dome; Blackpool - The Tower and/or a tram; Southend - The Pier, and so on. Here's a clue as to where it is, just look at which team's name is listed first. Now get on with the match.

The same mind numbing visual placements happen in films too. London - Tower Bridge; Paris - Eiffel Tower; New York - Manhattan skyline and/or Brooklyn Bridge; San Francisco - Transamerica Pyramid and/or a tram.... Cut the cliches and get on with it.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]The pre-match visual clues they give as to where a match is held. If it's Charlton, they'll show a snippet of the Barrier and/or the dome; Blackpool - The Tower and/or a tram; Southend - The Pier, and so on. Here's a clue as to where it is, just look at which team's name is listed first. Now get on with the match.

The same mind numbing visual placements happen in films too. London - Tower Bridge; Paris - Eiffel Tower; New York - Manhattan skyline and/or Brooklyn Bridge; San Francisco - Transamerica Pyramid and/or a tram.... Cut the cliches and get on with it.
    Showing local landmarks in films and sports events are known contiguous events, they're designed to give the viewer a sense of place associated with the event or next scene, not everyone will have the same sensory perception of place as you may have and these visual clues can help them, deaf people and people with dementia find them particularly helpful...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    - When the camera pans on the crowd during a break in play and those fans in shot nudge each other point to the big screen and start smiling, jumping up and down and waving manically as they savour their 15 seconds of fame.....despite their team being 3-0 down and about to be relegated or go out of a competition. This was particularly grating in the world cup.

- Close ups of "WAGs" that have attended a game to watch their latest goldmine in between texting their agents. If I want to see 3rd rate perma tanned dolly birds I'd buy Heat magazine.

- Close ups of dignitaries or celeb fans like Hugh Grant who although never expressed an interest in football before euro 96 now mysteriously have no problem in securing tickets for sell out games that the average supporter can only dream of.

- Shots of 50,000 geordies in replica shirts who have convinced themselves it is "their time" after they score against Wigan upon Keegan/ Shearer/ Barry Venison's return to SJP.

- Any close up of Ian Dowie
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    Showing local landmarks in films and sports events are known contiguous events, they're designed to give the viewer a sense of place associated with the event or next scene, not everyone will have the same sensory perception of place as you may have and these visual clues can help them, deaf people and people with dementia find them particularly helpful...
    Well, I live and learn. I thought in films they did it as a marketing trick; a film based in America as a 2 minute scene shot in Paris (cue obligatory shot of traffic going round the Arc D'Triumph), throw in minor speaking roles for a couple of French actors and bingo, you've just doubled DVD sales in France.
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]- When the camera pans on the crowd during a break in play and those fans in shot nudge each other point to the big screen and start smiling, jumping up and down and waving manically as they savour their 15 seconds of fame.....despite their team being 3-0 down and about to be relegated or go out of a competition. This was particularly grating in the world cup.
    I don't mind this much so much as the way that the very instant the people recognise themselves on the big screen they cut the shot. If they are going to allow people fifteen seconds of fame at least let them genuinely have it rather than tease them. It comes across as a form of voyeurism with the cameraman spying on people but turning away the second they are caught.
  • Options
    Mr Portsmouth

westwood_796149c.jpg

Urrrgghh