Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Curbs on Ljunberg

"Freddie brings Champions League experience, being captain of Sweden and that he is versatile but the biggest thing is that there is a hunger there."

He's still on about versatility. When will someone tell him that he doesn't have to buy players that can play in 5 positions any more?

Comments

• another injury prone overpaid underperformer, take em down curbs....
  • and they're always "hungry" - don't these other clubs feed 'em ?
  • hope he is as hungry as Jeffers was when Curbs signed him...
  • Oh I forgot to add big reputation...
  • bothered.
  • According to the Times today, they're offering him £3million to rip up his contract. His contract apparently has 3 years left and is worth £3.5million a year...

Hmmmm, tough choice that one!
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]According to the Times today, they're offering him £3million to rip up his contract. His contract apparently has 3 years left and is worth £3.5million a year...

If he's lucky then he can get another megadeal but yeah, why not just sit it out at Upton Park?

Interested to know why Wham are doing this? Have the Icelanders decided to tighten the purse strings?
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]According to the Times today, they're offering him £3million to rip up his contract. His contract apparently has 3 years left and is worth £3.5million a year...

I'd do a "Cory"
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Interested to know why Wham are doing this? Have the Icelanders decided to tighten the purse strings?

According to the Times;

"The Barclays Premier League club decided to rein in their transfer spending earlier in the season and are keen to reduce their wage bill"

Here's the full article for those interested;

"West Ham United have offered Fredrik Ljungberg £3million to leave Upton Park after one season. The Barclays Premier League club decided to rein in their transfer spending earlier in the season and are keen to reduce their wage bill. The Sweden midfield player has three years remaining on the four-year contract he signed when he joined the club from Arsenal last summer. The compensation package is less than his salary of about £3.9million a year - £75,000 a week.

Ljungberg, 31, has made 25 league appearances this season but has not been able to recapture the goalscoring knack he had several seasons ago. The loss of some of his pace, the lack of a creative midfield player and West Ham's regimented style have contributed to him scoring only twice this season. He suffered a cracked rib in the 2-2 draw against Newcastle United two weeks ago.

West Ham could make similar compensation offers to Lucas Neill and Luís Boa Morte, the forward, who are among the higher-earning players. The club have been looking for a new right back to replace Neill, the Australia player who earns about £65,000 a week and has a year left on his contract. West Ham released Roy Carroll, the goalkeeper, in similar fashion last summer.

The offer of payoffs to players is not unusual, but it is extraordinary after only one year. Players are not obliged to accept the proposal, but if they do so they can move as a free agent to another club. Winston Bogarde sat out his four-year contract at Chelsea, where he earned £40,000 a week, and refused to accept compensation to leave. The former Holland defender made 12 appearances, only four of them starts, effectively earning £693,000 per appearance. He spent much of his time training with the youth team."
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite] Winston Bogarde sat out his four-year contract at Chelsea, where he earned £40,000 a week, and refused to accept compensation to leave. The former Holland defender made 12 appearances, only four of them starts, effectively earning £693,000 per appearance. He spent much of his time training with the youth team."
    Heard that before but its so so funny!
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks, seems a long time since the takeover and the arrival of the two argentine players which was to herald West Ham challenging for the Champions League.
  • my spelling is (as we know) sh*t but please arrange this sentance for me

Lundberg --sh*t- and--WHU--and-- give --Curbs-- couldnt-- a.
  • I would guess that Ljungberg just laughed when asked.
  • [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]I would guess that Ljungberg just laughed when asked.

all the way to the bank
  • They gave an injury-prone 30+ year old a contract for 75k a week for FOUR years? I think Mr Ljungberg and his agent saw Curbs coming...
  • But they are offering to pay him off .....£3 million.

Take it, Freddie boy, and then sign for QPR for big potatoes.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]But they are offering to pay him off .....£3 million.

Take it, Freddie boy, and then sign for QPR for big potatoes.

or sign for us, and play for nothing.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Winston Bogarde sat out his four-year contract at Chelsea, where he earned £40,000 a week, and refused to accept compensation to leave. The former Holland defender made 12 appearances, only four of them starts, effectively earning £693,000 per appearance. He spent much of his time training with the youth team."
    Heard that before but its so so funny!

He used to fly in from Holland everyday for training and then fly back home.
  • Does anybody else see the delicious irony in this?

Here we have Curbs, the manager who looked after Charlton's money like it was his own, never spent all his transfer budget, and spend years travelling the length and breadth of the country turning over stone after stone looking for gems at bargain prices; goes to back to the club he supports and then merrily hands out somebody else's money by the barrowload to purchase players who are past their sell by date or serious sicknotes wasting his club squillions of Icelandic Krona.

You couldn't make it up.
  • But he kept West Ham up and has done ok.

Some of the injuries have been bad luck - Dyer for example.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]But he kept West Ham up and has done ok.

Some of the injuries have been bad luck - Dyer for example.

Oh I'm firmly a Curbs supporter and I think he's done a good job at West Ham, I just find the irony of the different spending approaches funny.
  • Sure, but Curbs made a virtue out of a necessity at Charlton, also when it came to spending money at Charlton (Darren Bent aside) he wasn't that good. His real skill might just have been in finding good quality players who were under-appreciated elsewhere.
  • how much did they sign him for?
  • Perhaps the actual injury to Dyer was unlucky, but the mere fact that Dyer spent the year crocked can't have been a surprise to anyone!

That said, comparing West Ham then and now would seem to be a testament to the management.
  • Anyone who offers a four-year deal to a 30 year old midfielder at 75,000 per week is criminally insane.
    The reality of Premiership finances are beginning to bite West Ham's new owners (who have only been there 18 months or so) and they are starting to realise the financial burden of running a Premiership club.
    They made a lot of desperate bids to get players to come when they were in the shit (Lucas Neil on 65,000 per week, please, and Boa Morte on a reported 45,000 per week) and now they are paying the price, tough shit as far as I am concerned.
    I know I might get hammered by Oooaahhmortimer for this but I have to say that I would prefer being where we are in the CCC and paying reasonable wages than paying greedy scum like Lucas Neil or Luis Boa Morte those sort of wages.
    In fact, I think that the lower down the leagues you go the more integrity and honesty you find.
  • unfortunately ormy the football world is a bit too much supply and demand for most of these players so i don't think you can blame the clubs or players for paying/earning these ridiculous wages(as long as the club can afford it) the sky money has obviously made this possible
    i know we all would love every player to play for charlton cos they supported them and came thru our youth set up and hope that they wouldn't want to treble their wages by going anywhere else but that's not gonna happen and as the game stands at the moment(who knows how long b4 the sky money stops) if we are to progress as a club and realistically to move to the 'next level' (upwards!) we will have to eventually pay joke wages etc to get there, as the game stands at the moment
    if jonjo goes on to be as good as parker/bowyer to keep him we'd have to improve all round as a club and to fulfill his ambitions that would mean paying top whack for some players or as we all know will probably happen he'll move on like parker/bowyer for financial gain and to a 'bigger' club
    to call players like neil and boa morte greedy scum is a bit harsh cos i'm pretty sure most people given the chance to improve their families future in the way they have would do, a bit like andy reid and i wouldn't call him greedy scum
    the dream route to success doesn't exist, at the moment, will there ever be another wimbledon type dream story, i doubt it in the current climate, so for me i'd watch us wherever we are but i'd prefer it in a packed stadium in the best league in the world with some 'greedy scum' playing for us rather than in the rymans with 11 charlton loving less than capable youth team progressed players.....
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Anyone who offers a four-year deal to a 30 year old midfielder at 75,000 per week is criminally insane.
    The reality of Premiership finances are beginning to bite West Ham's new owners (who have only been there 18 months or so) and they are starting to realise the financial burden of running a Premiership club.
    They made a lot of desperate bids to get players to come when they were in the shit (Lucas Neil on 65,000 per week, please, and Boa Morte on a reported 45,000 per week) and now they are paying the price, tough shit as far as I am concerned.
    I know I might get hammered by Oooaahhmortimer for this but I have to say that I would prefer being where we are in the CCC and paying reasonable wages than paying greedy scum like Lucas Neil or Luis Boa Morte those sort of wages.
    In fact, I think that the lower down the leagues you go the more integrity and honesty you find.[/quote]

I take your point about the likes of Lucas Neill being greedy, but really the fault lies with West Ham who signed these players/offered them these deals, I doubt I'd have turned down that kind of contract, especially if I was a run-of-the-mill premiership footballer.

More fool WHU for offering stupid money.
  • According to the BBC West Ham have an annual wage bill of £50m, despite turning over £57.3m.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]hope he is as hungry as Jeffers was when Curbs signed him...

No, no, no......Jeffers was THIRSTY, not hungry.
  • Sorry Oooaahhhh but I remember Neill on TV over here smirking at the interviewer when he was asked why he had turned down Liverpool (and Champions League football) for bottom of the table West Ham.
    He smirked his way through it with some bullshit about how he admired West Ham's history and traditions and it was "nothing to do with the money" - totally contemptuous of anyone with a brain.
    I admit that I may be harsh in lumping Boa Morte in with Neil but the sort of greed that the bloke displayed last year just turned my guts.
    How can any professional footballer turn down LIVERPOOL in favor of bottom of the table West Ham? Money, that's why and in my book that makes him a compete twat.