Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

favourite sports commentators

after the recent colemanballs thread, which sports commentators do you instantly recognise through their voice?
who are your favourites past or present?
i cant decide between tms's brian johnston and henry bloefield (i am too young to remember john arlott but have heard recordings).

Comments

• Options
    Brian moore past of course
  • Options
    Jonathon Pearce for me all the way. Doesn't have the greatest vocabulary in the world but his excitement and enthusiasm are infectious!
  • Options
    Murray Walker... totally engrossed in his job and was prone to the occasional gaff.

Formula 1 misses him badly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Jonathon Pearce for me all the way. Doesn't have the greatest vocabulary in the world but his excitement and enthusiasm are infectious!

I'm with you on this- so enthusiastic- especially in his Capital 'old days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Jonathon Pearce for me all the way. Doesn't have the greatest vocabulary in the world but his excitement and enthusiasm are infectious!

Are you joking? A know nothing hysterical Palace fan who has made a career out of screaming the same thing three times down the mic. A triumph of (lack of ) style over content.
  • Options
    David Lloyd for me
  • Options
    peter o'sullevan. brian johnston was great too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]

Are you joking? A know nothing hysterical Palace fan who has made a career out of screaming the same thing three times down the mic. A triumph of (lack of ) style over content.

He's a Bristol City fan, I think you'll find. I've heard him say so himself.
  • Options
    Stuart Hall - Legend, and a great bloke 'away from the mike' as well.
  • Options
    that bird from MOTD - i know who she is
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    KB ;-)
  • Options
    Richie Benaud for me.
  • Options
    Echo Richie benaud! BTW anyone ever heard of 'The 12th Man' its a comedy audio cd of a bunch of aussie comedians doing the comentary team in aus, Tony Grieg, Bill Lawrie, Richie (the boss) one of the Chappels, but i tell ya it is some of the funniest comedy i have ever listed to! Some of the sri lankan names are hillarious eg Ramatunga downathroata, LoanRangers Andisilva and my fave de'yafeellike acurry d'yafancycomingout2dinner lolol. I tell ya its gold, pure gold! I will try to bring some in and i will upload it to hear, anyone who knows cricket will love it.

Also i like that John Gwynn! He is great!
  • Options
    I think theres an Indian umpire in the 12th man called Mahatmacoat.
  • Options
    Sid Waddell is another one for me with his endless classic quotes

"The greatest comeback since Lazarus."
    "You couldn't get more excitement here if Elvis Presley walked in eating a chip sandwich!"
    "Keith Deller is like Long John Silver - he's badly in need of another leg"
    "He's twitching more than a one legged ferret!"
    "Rod is now looking like Kevin Costner when told the final cost of Waterworld."

Plus he also wrote Jossy's Giants!
  • Options
    David Duffield - great cycling commentator on Eurosport - chapeau!

Peter O'Sullevan - National Hunt racing, it was said he could have commented on the Charge of the Light Brigade...

Johnners, Murray Walker, John Arlott...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]David Duffield - great cycling commentator on Eurosport - chapeau!

quote]

All he talks about is cheese and wine!
  • Options
    John Gwynn - legend. love his match reports on Soccer Saturday.
  • Options
    Hugh Johns died this week. He commentated on the World Cup final for ITV, but everyone had the BBC on as usual. Didn't think he was much cop myself, but he stuck in my mind as the bloke who did the obscure provincial games on the Big Match in the 1970s.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Blowers. No-one beats Henry Blofeld for amusement value. One bit he did about dumplings on TMS a few weeks ago with Viv Richards had me and the rest of the TMS commentary team in absolute hysterical fits. The man is an absolute legend. Benaud is also superb and - for what it's worth - I think John McEnroe is an excellent tennis commentator.

Football wise it begins - and, sadly - ends with the late great Brian Moore - although Stuart Hall is mildly entertaining - what with him being as mad as a box of lightbulbs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dan Maskall - I Say!

What abooot that Geordie Dorts Commenteta! Sid Waddall
  • Options
    1 peice of commentary no-one has mentioned was harry carpenter on the bruno v tyson fight. the surprise in his voice when "and bruno's hurt him" was followed by something along the lines of "go on frank. finish him off"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Murray Walker... totally engrossed in his job and was prone to the occasional gaff.

He's doing F1 for Five Live this weekend.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Echo Richie benaud! BTW anyone ever heard of 'The 12th Man' its a comedy audio cd of a bunch of aussie comedians doing the comentary team in aus, Tony Grieg, Bill Lawrie, Richie (the boss) one of the Chappels, but i tell ya it is some of the funniest comedy i have ever listed to! Some of the sri lankan names are hillarious eg Ramatunga downathroata, LoanRangers Andisilva and my fave de'yafeellike acurry d'yafancycomingout2dinner lolol. I tell ya its gold, pure gold! I will try to bring some in and i will upload it to hear, anyone who knows cricket will love it.

Also i like that John Gwynn! He is great![/quote]
    I've herd it ,
    great cd and i ihave to agree richie benaud....legend
  • Options
    Arlott and Johnners for evoking the atmosphere plus Fred Trueman for amusement value. It was so obvious that he considered himself better than every other fast bowler that any praise of other quickies was through gritted teeth. Technical input and education: Boycott, Benaud and Trevor Bailey.

Might be biased because he used to coach me but Stuart Storey has a nice blend of knowledge and commentary skills.

I also used to like Eddie Waring even though I prefer Rugby Union to Rugby League.

Footballwise Kenneth Wolstenholme and early Motty.
  • Options
    Richie Benaud, Michael Atherton, David Duffield and Sid Waddell
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Murray Walker... totally engrossed in his job and was prone to the occasional gaff.

'Murrayisms'

"Jos Verstappen is a fighter in the each of the way!"
    "And just to clarify, Häkkinen leads and has yet to stop, Coulthard leads and has yet to stop"
    "Now we go into lap 53, the penultimate last lap but one."
    "Excuse me while I interrupt myself..."
    "With half the race gone, there's half the race still to go."
    "If the gloves weren't off before—and they were—they sure are now!"
    "That's a good stop. Just under 10 seconds. Call it 9.7 in round figures."
    "Now he must not go the wrong way round the circuit and unless he can spin himself stationary through 360 degrees I fail to see how he can avoid doing so."
    "Now Laffite is as close to Surer as Surer is to Laffite."
    "There's a difference of only one second between these two cars ...one... that's how long a second is"
    " 'If' is a very long word in Formula One; in fact, 'if' is F1 spelled backwards."
    " Watch the lights appear to countdown the start! —One light! —Two lights! —Three lights! —Four lights! —Five laps!"
    "The interesting thing about this circuit is that it has inclines; not just up, but down as well."
    "This has been a mediocre season for Nelson Piquet, as he is now known, and always has been."
    "And the track temperature has in fact risen in degrees!"
    "And here comes Damon Hill in the Williams. This car is absolutely unique—except for the one following it, which is identical."
    "Do my eyes deceive me or is Senna's Lotus sounding a bit rough?"
    "Tambay's hopes, which were nil before, are now absolutely zero."
    "Alboreto into the pits and I'm going to stop the startwatch!"
    "And it's a sad ending, albeit a happy one, at Montreal for today's Grand Prix"
    "It's the first time Schumacher's won here since 1959" (Michael Schumacher was born in 1969)
    "Schumacher in the McLaren, Häkkinen in the Ferrari." (At the time, Schumacher was a Ferrari driver and Häkkinen was a McLaren driver)
    (Approaching Bernie Ecclestone) "Bernie, it's some 17 years since you bought McLaren, you've had some good times, you've had some bad times, what do you remember best?" Bernie replies: "I don't remember buying McLaren..." Murray: "I've done it again, haven't I?"[5]
    On Gerhard Berger's Ferrari failing at Suzuka 93 "That's Ayrton Berger!"
    "Mansell knows exactly where Senna is because he can see him in his earphone."
    "Seven of the previous champions are on the starting line, and four of them are Michael Schumacher"
    "And we have had 5 races so far this year, Brazil, Argentina, Imola, Schumacher and Monaco!"
    "Anything can happen in Formula 1, and it usually does!"
    "Mansell is slowing it down, taking it easy. Oh no he isn't! It's a new lap record!"
    "AND Alboreto's gone off, Alboreto off and into the barrier... Now, I have to tell you that Michele Alboreto did not infact qualify for this race, so how we could have seen him go off I don't know... It seems some recorded coverage from yesterday has slipped in to the live transmission"
  • Options
    Peter Jones is my all time favourite. I also liked Barry Davies, shame he got pushed aside at the Beeb.
    Richie Benaud has, apart from my Dad the most constant male voice in my life! I litteraly grew up with his tones, it was good to catch him over the winter on the Ashes now he doesn't come over here anymore.
    These days CMJ is my fav cricket commentator.
    Jonathan Pearce is excellent and I would challenge the comment above about his vocabulary. Underused by the BBC and ditched by 5Live because he dared to stand up to the idiot that is Alan "Know Nothing **nt" Green.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]1 peice of commentary no-one has mentioned was harry carpenter on the bruno v tyson fight. the surprise in his voice when "and bruno's hurt him" was followed by something along the lines of "go on frank. finish him off"

"My God he's won the title back at 32!"

Harry Carpenter again when Ali beat Foreman in the "rumble in the jungle."

These days 32 is positively young in the heavyweight division. It shows how times change.