Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MK Dons new stadium

Opens in 15 days time, and sadly looks quite nice :-(

http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/

Comments

• How many does it hold?looks very good
  • Hopefully it'll send them bust
  • Hopefully it'll be the nicest ground in the Conference by next summer.
  • Whats with the ill feeling towards MK Dons?

Wimbledon were going broke, there was a shortage of viable ground options in South London, land is alot cheaper in Milton Keynes than it is in London and theres no Football club up there. Wise business, even if it does upset the traditionalists.

They're hardly Palace, and Chelsea have done worse for football than MK Dons.
  • I think Chelsea have done quite a lot for football actually, or will do in the long term, they've also made the PL a lot more competitive.

Also, lets say Charlton get bought out and moved to Canterbury, would that be ok with you?
  • Would I follow Charlton to Canterbury? If it kept the club solvent, then yeah. Wimbledon didn't have much of a choice, given their financial status.
  • But it's not Wimbledon is it, its MK Dons, the same was it wouldnt be Charlton, it would be Canterbury United.
  • Indeed, but you couldn't keep the name Wimbledon in Milton Keynes. Wimbledon would have gone bust without the move anyway, so it was a logical solution all round.
  • Has anyone met or know of an MK Dons fan?.I know a couple of ex-Wimbledon who dont even follow AFC.
  • [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Whats with the ill feeling towards MK Dons?

Wimbledon were going broke, there was a shortage of viable ground options in South London, land is alot cheaper in Milton Keynes than it is in London and theres no Football club up there. Wise business, even if it does upset the traditionalists.

They're hardly Palace, and Chelsea have done worse for football than MK Dons.

Crikey. You sound like a Palace fan 20 years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Indeed, but you couldn't keep the name Wimbledon in Milton Keynes. Wimbledon would have gone bust without the move anyway, so it was a logical solution all round.

your attempts to provoke a reaction, despite denials, are starting to get a bit too obvious....
  • AFKA

I'm just saying that without the move they would have gone bust. So why the hatred towards them? Hardly trying to provoke reactions from people.
  • So why didn't they go bust, because they got investors, surely those same people could have simply invested the money into Wimbledon and continued to ground share? Instead they chose the way the involved destroying a football club, something that would devastate any of us if it ever happened to CAFC.
  • [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]AFKA

I'm just saying that without the move they would have gone bust. So why the hatred towards them? Hardly trying to provoke reactions from people.

You're Ron Noades in disguise, aren't you?
  • No. I'm not Ron Noades in disguise.
  • Looks good
  • It was wrong to move a club so far from its locality. End of.

Who knows if WFC would have gone bust if they had returned to Merton? AFCW, for all the arrogance of some of their fans and the fact that the Mighty Bromley beat them in the play offs, are thriving at the ground they acquired from Kingstonian and are drawing crowds that would not be out of place in Div 4.

If you put aside the injustice of the move and the weaknesses of the FA in caving into the MK Dons owners it is an interesting experiment. Can you parachute a club into an area and build up support? Certainly their crowds are no worse than many other Div 4 sides. With a new ground and a large catchment area they may be able to build their own supporter base over time. If they had moved when the team was in the Prem or even Div 1 that would have been a much quicker process. Most teams that have moved to new grounds (other than Millwall) have seen an increase in attendance.

It seems that MK Dons have given up their claims to the WFC titles and trophies and these have been returned to the borough of Merton. In return AFCW seem to have relaxed their stance and have "allowed" MK Dons to join the Federation of Football Supporters.