Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old-school gymnastics fantastics

Is the apparent disregard that is being given to old-skool fitness techniques these days.

Its all crunches, swiss ball and machines.

Whatever happened to:

press ups
proper sit ups with your feet under the settee
star jumps
squat thrusts.

Could you imagine doing star jumps down your David Lloyd ?? They would throw you out.

When was the last time you did an actual press up ? How many do you reckon you could do ?

I reckon i would struggle to get past 7...

Comments

• I did 60 this morning, you weakling....lol
  • I was in fitness first in Acton a couple of weeks back and there was a fella breakdancing! He was attempting the windmill badly , I was gonna give him some pointers
  • On me hols the "animatation" team not only dragged you up to play everything from water polo to fletches (darts), but if you cocked up they made you do press ups. I had to do two lots of twenty in the space of a minute for twice nearly drowning a German - fair play I thought! Did them ok but then had a mini heart attack when I got back to my sun lounger.
    I am now back in the gym trying to extend my life until at least 45.
  • I can do about 80 press ups most days straight off, used to be able to do 100 easy. I think Age is kicking in now though ! Don't believe in going to the Gym have never done so & unlikely to even try it. I go out running at least three times a week whether in bright sunshine or shabbing it down with rain, nothing better than running in the elements. Then a few sit ups & press ups to warm down when you get home. It has managed to stave off the Middle aged Beer spread thus far.
  • I've got a place in next year's marathon so I better get my skates on and do some running....I'm 14 stone at the moment, very heavy for me....
  • three to four hundred
  • [cite] Oracle:[/cite]I've got a place in next year's marathon so I better get my skates on and do some running

Too obvious you'd never get away with it, although it might be worth trying these though ...

... they might just work :-)
  • seeing someone do a star jump / squat thrust combo always makes me laugh.

the problem i have doing sit ups is that i always want to break wind halfway through.
  • Johnny - is that particular exercise known as a 'Burpee' or have I just made that up?!
  • the silly combo or the windypops one ?

don't know
  • Sponsored links:

• Yup Last line, that would be a Burpee. Twas the punishment dished out by my own form tutor at school. Needless to say i did quite a few!
  • how many do reckon you could do O4-MCS ?

I reckon you would struggle to get past 7 as well.

I'm gonna have a go when i get home and see how many i can do without stopping. It would be very suprised if i got to double figures.
  • [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]how many do reckon you could do O4-MCS ?

I reckon you would struggle to get past 7 as well.

I'm gonna have a go when i get home and see how many i can do without stopping. It would be very suprised if i got to double figures.

Mate i reckon about 2, max, then i would die a long painful death lol, i moaned about that stinking long walk to the ground! Dont do walking me!
  • Or Standing on Tubes Geez...?
  • do they still have the old monkey bars and climbing ropes in school sports halls ?
  • I used to really envy the kids who could shin up the ropes in seconds.
    1905 tended to slowly plod up about 3 feet and then come down in record time - how i didnt break anything is a miracle.
  • [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]do they still have the old monkey bars and climbing ropes in school sports halls ?

Who you askin bart??
  • [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]how many do reckon you could do O4-MCS ?

Still haven't done this, will definately give it a go at weekend but convinced i won't get past 15 unless someone leaves a pork pie on the floor.

I've also set monday as my smoking date before i get a hundred disappointed looks tomorrow...
  • That's it Bart keep putting it back mate ;-)
  • great. i've developed a 6"9 mother !!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2006
    lol

I have learnt everything one needs to know about nagging from my Mrs.