Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Come Back Curbs All Is Forgiven

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
Yes we may not have played the most attractive football, but at least he learnt from his mistakes.

After we were relegated in 98/99 he stated that maybe he had been a little naive in trying to play expansive football and that if / when we came back up we'd have to be tighter and harder to break down. From then on we won the Championship and never looked like getting relegated, but that wasn't enough for some of our fans who expected a club of our stature to be challenging for the UEFA places year in year out.

Maybe now some of the people who told me I didnt know what I was talking (mostly those on NA to be honest) about when I tried to tell you that if you don't concede you don't lose football matches will see this as both goals we conceded last night were totally avoidable and this seems to be becoming a common theme this year! Carry on like this and were down.

Someone needs to have a word in IDs shell like and tell him to solidify the team. It might be boring, but it wont cost us £25m when the new TV deals comes out next season.

Comments

• Options
    It was individual errors that scost us the game rather than the way we played.....first goal nobody closed Mcbride down, the second Diarrawa (sp) was asleep....
  • Options
    I posted more than once when the "Curbs out" merchants were at their loudest that we would not fully appreciate Curbs until he has gone.

I fear that I am going to be proved right.

That said it is still too early to get on Dowie's back when you consider that every one of HIS signings (bar JFH and Faye) has been injured. That is appalling luck for any manager.

However if we are still bottom 3 after, say, 14 games ie a third of the season, I will be calling for a change and if Curbs is still out of work I hope, having had a break, he would consider coming back refreshed to dig us out of the s**t.
  • Options
    Absolute rubbish as usual Charlton Dan.
    The reason we are in this mess is down to Curbishley and the way he ran down the squad leaving us with the weakest squad out of any of the teams in the Prem and got out to save his reputation.

El Kak (fitting name), Hughes and M Bent are all great Curbs signings and they are the reasons we're struggling - along with a tough start thanks to the fixture list.

Dowie has tried to remedy it by bringing in some players we desperately needed ie tacking midfielder Faye and dominant centre-back Diawara and it should all be ok over the season.

Don't fall into the trap that the lazy media do and view Curbs through rose-tinted glasses...
  • Options
    Agree with you.. except El Kak

:)
  • Options
    [cite] kinveachyaddick:[/cite]Absolute rubbish as usual Charlton Dan

Excuse me? Im quoting Curbs himself and he did tighten it up when we came back up and we stayed up every season quite easily did we not?

Curbs tried to get rid of El Kak and ID brought him back...

M Bent has hardly played so you cant blame him. Hughes is a decent squad player and wouldnt be in the side if we had other options there.

So next time you try and tell me Im talking "total rubbish as usual" give it some thought eh?
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I have to disagree Dan ... it is because of Curbishley players that we are not doing well. We had gone really stagnant and I see no reason at all to think that our relegation form since Christmas would have miraculously changed this season if Curbs was still here.

I hope you are not suggesting a negative approach to Saturday's game, I have had enough of that the last two seasons thank you very much. For sure Kish in for Hughes would make us a lot more solid and I'd agree with that.

I am still very much behind Dowie and the team and looking forward to the rest of the season.
  • Options
    Well we'll have to agree to disagree.

Not at all mate, solidity doesn't have to mean boring. Look at Chelsea. They play attractive football, but are solid at the back (granted they have much more talent at their disposal)
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I suppose I could pose the question, why were so many quality players keen to get away from Charlton with Curbs? Why did Smertin go, why did Jensen get out, why did M**phy p*ss off, why did Luke Young try to leave, why did Jerome Thomas want to leave?

Add Konch and Euell to that list too.
  • Options
    I can't believe that it would be much better under Curbs.

Dowie can't change Hasslebaink and Herman missing two free headers in two games, both go in, and we're on 5 points, got a result out of Arsenal, and a decent point at Fulham
  • Options
    I think Pouso could be the box to box passing player who gets Reid and Thomas moving and feeds Bent and JFH but as I type I realise that I'm pinning my hopes on a players whose on loan and has managed one half of prem football.

Should have stuck with music. Bands never let you down and if they turn crap you can just listen to the old stuff or a different band.

Someone post up some five chioces or something to cheer me up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dowie or Curbs
    Dowie or Curbs
    Dowie or Curbs
    Dowie or Curbs
    Dowie or Curbs
  • Options
    I agree we need to be more solid, which is something Kish would give over Hughes who was strangely anonymous last night, even better hopefully Pouso is ready. It does look like we are going to struggle to keep clean sheets but hopefull Sorondo and/or Traore will be back soon and we should, hopefully, be a lot more solid at the back.
  • Options
    i think both Dan and Kinveachy are both right, yet both wrong.

Curbishley was most definately one of the main reasons we are in our current position, but to suggest he is the sole reason is wrong. We have since spent very good money and brought in a number of players, 5 of the starting 11 have been signed this summer, so its not all Curbs old squad.

But no one likes 'i told you so' messages when the chips are down, particularly when its still early in the season, they just wind you up. The one point Dan makes that is true, is that after our run, Curbs would of gone there to have got a 0-0 last night, and would likely of achieved it. It would of been dull and crap, but we would of been a point better off.
  • Options
    We needed a change of management, the last two seasons Charlton under Curbs were getting stale and a bit predictable and dare I say it boring.

Dowie is a good manager, but doesn't have a fully fit side at his disposal yet, despite the results I can see what he is trying to achieve. Last night other than a ten minute spell after Jensen came on we were the better side, but lacked a cutting edge, JFH and Bent don't seem to combine that well.

Diawarra looked knackered and was at fault for Jensen's goal but in a match or two he'll be ok, other than that he had a good game. Ditto Reid, neither went missing, but neither look superstars, but they could both become good solid players. Reid didn't look match fit and in the centre of midfield we need a bit more bite, hopefully that'll be Pouso's job. Hughes was our worst player, way too anonymous.

The side worked hard and didn't give up, not even at 2-0 down, the spirit is there.
  • Options
    Let's have a look at the squad Curbs left us with when he headed off into the sunset:
    Myhre, Andersen, HH, Young, El Kak, Sorondo, Perry, Fortune, Kish, Holland, Hughes, Romm, Ambrose, Thomas, M Bent, D Bent, JJ, Lisbie, Bartlett

To my mind that is the poorest squad since we were first promoted to the Prem. and we would have been dead certs for relegation. Only one person can be blamed for that and he knew the writing was on the wall so he got out.

Dowie has correctly identified the areas we were weak in (centre-half and centre-mid) and tried to sign some athletic, dynamic players as he saw last season how teams like Bolton, Blackburn etc. were outmuscling us

We were hurt last night by Jensen, a quality player and one of a long list of quality performers - Konchesky, Murphy, Smertin, dare I say Euell - who Curbs fell out with and then allowed to leave. They were replaced with the likes of the journeyman himself Hughes and the abysmal M Bent.

I say again you are talking absolute rubbish as usual if you think things would be better under Curbs.
    There's no way 1500 would have been there last night for a start!
  • Options
    Get a grip. he left of his own accord and realised that he ahd taken Charlton as far as he can. What he has done for Charlton over the years, we should at least respect his decision to leave and move on - like he has.
  • Options
    If Curbs had been given that money at the end of the season would he have done better?
  • Options
    i know its easy to say Razil but we have to stop the "ifs" and get on with it
  • Options
    Agreed, see my other post though, I think we are missing a Jensen/Murphy type player to feed the forwards and take the pressure off the wingers. Is Reid is the answer? Not so far in my opinion.
  • Options
    I think Ambrose can be that player but i don't think Dowie fancies him. Ooo Err.

I think thats it, we are a killer pass away from being a decent outfit. How many times were we 20 yards out last night with no clue at all?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite] kinveachyaddick:[/cite]Let's have a look at the squad Curbs left us with when he headed off into the sunset:
    Myhre, Andersen, HH, Young, El Kak, Sorondo, Perry, Fortune, Kish, Holland, Hughes, Romm, Ambrose, Thomas, M Bent, D Bent, JJ, Lisbie, Bartlett

I say again you are talking absolute rubbish as usual if you think things would be better under Curbs.
    There's no way 1500 would have been there last night for a start!

EL Kak had been farmed out to Qatar. Sorondo was on loan and was then signed by ID. I watched Perry at the weekend and he was much better than either El Kak or Fortune. Oh and you forgot Gibbs.

Well I and AFKA believe we would have been a least a point better off and I'm sure we wouldn't have conceded three against West Ham under Curbs. Having the lead and a man sent off he would have shut up shop.

Konch joined his childhood club having been told he wasn't guaranteed to play LB, which was a good decision in my eyes cos his positional play is pony. Smertin took his family back to Russia. Murphy was dire and had a handful of good games. Euell isn't the player he was once. I'd take off your rose tinted glasses if I were you.......

Interesting that you feel you have to start throwing a few insults around to back up your argument!!
  • Options
    As WSS said, we really have to stop these IF arguments now, they are going to get us nowhere other than splitting the ranks, which is the last thing we need.
  • Options
    [cite] WestStandSinger:[/cite]

I think thats it, we are a killer pass away from being a decent outfit. How many times were we 20 yards out last night with no clue at all?!

Spot on.
  • Options
    EL Kak had been farmed out to Qatar. Sorondo was on loan and was then signed by ID

Sorondo joined full time before ID and anyway he played well under him at Palace when he was on-loan there. The guy has never been fully fit since he joined us so to an extent he's an unknown quantity.

If we hadn't got El K back from Qatar we really would have been in trouble - remember Faye played at least two games as an emergency CB.

To follow up WSS's point...we need a creative midfielder, someone to play behind the strikers, too often we got the ball there last night and ran out of ideas. Hopefully Reid can develop into this player? Maybe Ambrose? Or do we start making enquiries about Sidwell again?
  • Options
    oy that was my point thankyou very much.. lol..
  • Options
    Take all the arguments about players aside.

Curbs knew how to close out a game. It wasnt often pretty but always effective.

We would have had another 3 points - Villa, Pompey and Fulham.

Dowie has won 9 games out of 46 in the Prem, I think that says it all.
  • Options
    [cite] razil:[/cite]Agreed, see my other post though, I think we are missing a Jensen/Murphy type player to feed the forwards and take the pressure off the wingers. Is Reid is the answer? Not so far in my opinion.

Bolanos might have been, but he has to manage with what he has.
  • Options
    Curbs had gone stall and as a club we were no better a side last season than we had been 2 or 3 seasons previously, if anything we were worse. I am totally convinced that had Curbs stayed we would have been in relegation battle.
  • Options
    we should have kept curbs till february,when we would of been safe from relegation as usual,then asked him to step aside and let dowie loose to do whatever he liked.
  • Options
    Great theory but come on- As much as i think AC is one of the most significant factors in the history of our club, he always said that he would know when it was time to go- I'm sure, and he intimates it heavily in his book, that he knew that at the end of the 2004/5 season. He wasn't going to stay for this season, and it was a meeting of minds with Richard Murray when he said that he wouldn't sign a new contract he forced the issue with him. Likewise, RM making it very obvious that he wanted more than a 12 month commitment forced the issue with Curbs-

It's history now- move on!