Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Souley's Agent

edited July 2007 in Rumours
Looks like he may have jumped the gun. Pretty much says in SLP that he now wants to sit down with CAFC to discuss what they want to do as Souley's wages are high and he doesn't know if CAFC want to keep paying them. Also that the player himslef would be happy to continue playing for the club. Appears as if the agent has made some assumptions and has seen a few £ signs flicker before his eyes before consulting with Diawara.

I hope he stays. Will be more than a rock in the CCC. He will develop into a fine Prem player.

Comments

• If we can reduce his wages, I definitely want him to stay.
  • I doubt he will willingly take a pay cut and very much doubt we can recoup even half what we paid for him. Apparently Borussia Dortmund are interested, but probably not willing to pay £3M or so - parhaps a loan to a Premier League club might be a good option for us, we save on his wages and there's a chance of his value getting up a bit.
  • Think that he'll be great in the "2nd Division", which will give him time to settle. Then, he'll be one of those players that will give us "1st Division" class when we go back up.
  • Why should he take a pay cut when it was the other new signings from last summer who failed to provide the goals , stay on the pitch or be available.

He was quality at times - when you look at our back 5, we have replaced the keeper because we had to but the rest looked good once Pardew sorted it out.

I don't know what the number look like with the parachute money and half(?) of the Darren Bent money coming in but the club should focus on strengthening the midfield and staying in the top 6 ALL the way up to Christmas
  • edited July 2007
    Top 2 till the end of the season?
  • Don't rate him. At the start I thought he looked good with pace and aggression but then saw that he never stood up and lost his man time and time again. (See Wycombe) Looks great attacking the ball when no one near him or making a recovering tackle after he's let some one ghost past him but his positional play is terrible IMHO and he doesn't win his shate of 50/50 balls.

Would only be sorry to lose out financially on him. Gibbs is twice the player he is. ;-)
  • Is Gibbs back training with us Henry?
  • Been training in the States all summer. Hope to show him at Welling.
  • Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I hope for your sake that Gibbs is all you're making him out to be Ben or you are gonna be left with one seriously eggy face
  • So Henry doesn't rate him because of Wycombe !!!

Only Scott Carson came out of that game (and the Saturday before vs Liverpool) with any self-respect.

And I seem to remember our chairman referring to Diawara that night using Dowie's description of the "most expensive defender you've never heard of"

Some of his tackling reminded me of Rufus, covering his team mates more times than I can remember. So for me he was a more than adequate replacement for Chris Perry - who I also rated as a solid centre back.

We have lost out financially because the board were unable to head hunt a decent succesor to Curbishley - Billy Davies anyone? Plus the fact that in 7 years of having the Sky money we were only able to sign one decent striker - now departed to the Spuds
  • Sponsored links:

• well said red !

Apart from a couple of sliced clearances a thouhj Diawa was one of our best players last season - so much so I voted for him as our POTY. You have to remember that he has never played in our league(s), probably doesn't speak much English and ws ridiculed by his own chairman as being an overpriced nobody - how woulf you fare if that happen to you??

I rate him very highly & would love him to stay - allied to the fact that we'd be lucky to receive much more than £2 M I think it would be a waste to see him leave. He very much reminds me of Rufus - pacy & a great tackler. Just needs to leave the gloves at home !!!
  • Just needs a successful run in the team so his confidence can grow... hopefully if we get a string of decent results and the team remebers how to win again then his confidence will grow... i rember him making a superb last defender challensge and him then sending a 60 yard diagonal balll to our left mdifielder(thomas I think)... superb ball... he has potential.. he just needs to play in a successful team for a while and hell come good i think...
  • "most expensive defender you've never heard of" - Quote

That's not right. After the Wycombe debacle Murray said that he had been told before signing him(presumably by Dowie, although this was not actually said) that Diawara was, "The best defender that you have never heard of."

Which, when you think about it, makes no sense whatsoever!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: seriously_red[/cite]So Henry doesn't rate him because of Wycombe !!!

Not what I said at all. I mearly gave Wycombe as the most glaring example of when he was unable to impose himself on a forward or read the game.

The last ditch tackles (see Boro on Yakubu) were often after he had lost position and so allowed the ball to be played behind him.

He flattered to decieve when attacking a ball played towards him cos he got good distance on a header. Anything played around him on the ground and he was lost.

The fact the he didn't play many games at the end of the season despite being fit must tell you something.

Yes, it was his first season in England and he joined a struggling team with three different managers so maybe he can improve. He needs to.

Let's see if he wants to play for us in the CCC.
  • Now that we have sold Darren Bent and lost a few others on June 30th I had hoped that the cashing in and clear-out would have ended - or put another way we should be looking forward to the forthcoming promotion campaign and not rehashing the low points of last season. My point is that board members (and I'm afraid that include you Henry) should not be seen criticising players -

After all it's not like anyone is saying the club has gone into freefall since Henry joined the board...

Now there's an idea ! lol
  • could have sworn it was you who was re-hashing his performances from last season.

And the free fall thing. Very good. Not heard that one before. : - (
  • I agree with much of what Henry says above. My concern was that Diawara had a terrible habit of panicking and diving into a rash challenge on the edge of our box when there was no need to and giving away a lot of free kicks, you can't do that in the Premiership. Like I have said before, he did improve on his Wigan/Wycombe displays but he could not have gotten much worse after those performances. He MIGHT get a move to the continent but why would anyone in the Premiership buy him? He played for Sochaux in France who are hardly giants and then to us for a crazy fee so he is not exactly steeped in pedigree.
  • edited July 2007
    That fee does now look LUDICROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christ ... we really put a lot of trust oin that doughnut dowie who basically almost killed the club........ the only positive is that it united the fans......
  • I know Mascot, when you think that Everton did not pay much more than that for Lescott who looks real quality then it makes it even more painful. Plus, Pompey got Sol Campbell on a free, although his wages would have been huge and Boro did not pay all that much for Woodgate although his wages would be massive too.

Spurs also got Dawson for a reasonably low fee of around 4 million.....aarghhhhhhh!!!!!
  • Swings and roundabouts with transfer fees - what did we pay for Marcus vs Darren Bent?!!! Luke Young looked expensive but we've had four years out of him... Jeffers stopped plaing once one more game was going to cost £250-500K and now look at Blackburn holding out for £1M from Ipswich.. because everyone knows they've just picked up a bonus for Bent

If you're desparate - and our squad last summer was - and you can't pay £2M + a year in wages then you have to shop around - and as many have said Diawara was not to blame for the fee.

I really hope he stays around because we need to keep quality - assuming we go straight back up then we are going to have another mountain to climb - Diawara would certainly be in my first XV1 but how many others would - too early to say right now. I think if anyone is worried about last ditch tackles then El K has left the building!

Bottom line was that Dowie tried changing half of the first X1 overnight but for me only Reid and Diawara made the grade
  • Sponsored links:

• I like Diawara, but my problem with him was he seemed to struggle a little for a big man during close contact with other big strikers. In the Championship there is going to be even more of that.

If a top half prem club was interested in a loan, like Salad said it may be ideal as it could raise his value if he did well, he has long enough left on his contract for that not to be impacted, and with the lesser wage bill it might free up some space for a more needed position.
  • Today's South London Press reports that Diawara is "now expected to stay", but that Stoke are still hoping to sign Fortune.

Good news, I'd say.
  • can't see Fortune going now unless we've got someone else coming in.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]can't see Fortune going now unless we've got someone else coming in.
    agreed, we need 4 capable central defenders
  • Gibbs?
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Gibbs?

Who ?

Oh isn't that Henry Irving's Love child ?
  • must have been on a jaunt to the US on business one time..
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]can't see Fortune going now unless we've got someone else coming in.
    agreed, we need 4 capable central defenders

Bougerra, McCarthy, Diawara, Gibbs plus Samedo plus Sankofa (better there than at right back). If the money is right I'd let Fortune go.