Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Derby County | Sat 19 Oct | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Derby County
Saturday 19th October 2019 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Stephen Martin

Introduction
Football returns to the Valley this weekend following the latest International Break - A month ago this would be considered as a hindrance, ending our form meaning we’d obtain just five points from the fifteen available - This time round though and it could be a break that'll have been welcomed, our last match against Fulham left us with no Left-Back so its been a chance for tired / injured bodies to rest and recover - This Saturday we welcome Derby County to the Valley, is it time for the Addicks to go on another run of form? - Let’s hope so!!

The Opposition
Name: Derby County | Manager: Philip Cocu
League Position: 13th

The hardest job for any Manager is surely lifting your players after suffering the heartache of losing a Play-Off Final; Only last week the news was released that Jack Ross at Sunderland had been relieved of his duties whilst in the Championship; Derby County continue to try and recover from their own Wembley loss.

Its certainly not been an easy job, for starters it was pretty obvious that Chelsea would come calling for Frank Lampard so the Rams would be forced to spend another summer looking for a new Manager - Coming into the job would be another ex-Legend of the 90s / 00s - Philip Cocu a midfielder by trade would have a career spanning the likes of FC Barcelona and PSV Eindhoven... The fallout though of replacing his Captain (Richard Keogh) to a well-documented injury won’t have aided our opponents this month as they look to turn their stuttering form into something that can actually challenge at the right end of the table.

As both Charlton and Derby have learnt though, if your successful in the loan market then you stand a chance!! - Yet if you can’t quite clinch promotion how do you recover!! - Thankfully its not a lesson the Addicks had to learn last summer; Derby on the other hand have had to deal with Mason Mount, Harry Wilson and Player of the Year: Fikayo Tomori returning to their parent clubs - Of course they've got the high profiled: Wayne Rooney returning to these shores from the MLS in January and whilst he wont play any minutes against Charlton this season, it'll be interesting to see what impact the Striker will bring.

Charlton Team News
As for the Charlton squad itself though; Lee confirmed at the start of the week that its only Chuks Aneke that is likely to miss this game (not including; Lyle Taylor and Lewis Page) – Ben Purrington would limp off against the Swans with a groin strain yet will be back in the heart of Defence this Saturday!!...

Further forward and we may get to see more of the Brighton signings; Beram Kayal and Tamar Hemed have both failed to impress with their lack of minutes, that could hopefully start to change with both now back in contention, although the latter may be forced to wait as another appears to have stolen his place!!

Phillips
Solly | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
Cullen | Pratley | Williams
Gallagher
Bonne | Leko

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Sarr | Oshilaja | Field | Kayal | Hemed | Forster-Caskey

Prediction
Once again, we enter a period which will see three games in eight days - Derby County though appear to be a team not like the one from last season, of course they dont have the same players but the loss of Richard Keogh looks set to hit them hard... There should hopefully be no pity from the Charlton players on Saturday, its an opportunity to go for the kill and get all three points!!

Comments

• Options

Hope we can get something out of this one. Would be surprised to see Jonny start considering he had a couple of games for Wales this week.

If Oztumer does start, then he really needs a good performance. I feel like he's been poor in every game bar the first 45 against Forest.

• Options
    2-1 Charlton - I can see Field playing instead of Pratley for a bit more legs, bit harsh saying Hemed and Kayal haven't impressed.. they haven't really been fit enough yet and their class will show once they are both match fit and integrated when Bowyer and co see fit. Tough game but I think we needed the break as our players looked tired/ knackered.
  • Options
    as writ, Derby will miss mad Keogh who's been Cap'n and defensive rock for about 40 years.
    Derby ..  too many changes of manager and players, too much money badly spent, too much interference from their very wealthy owner perhaps, too little bottle when it gets really tough .. Oh how they miss Clough and Mackay ((:>)
     I won't be there for this one but am looking forward to the Christmas time game at their tidy stadium.  

Bit harsh on Sarr if he's omitted, I'd give Purry another few days recovery period, he's too important to rush back half baked. Otherwise I am in agreement with our master forecaster @ForeverAddickted's tasty selection

CAFC 3 v Derby County 1
  • Options
    I think Field and Leko will be deployed in a delicate manner because neither will be able to play against West Bromwich Albion.
    I certainly believe both will start on Saturday.
  • Options
    Another good preview FA, gonna go 2 - 1 to us for this one. Gallagher and Pearce with the goals.
  • Options
    Slightly nervous about this match. Not because of the opposition or our league position, but more for how it will set us up for the rest of the week. Get 3 points and then the Brizzle and WBA games are bonus matches. Lose against Derby and the pressure is on for those away matches. Our previous 3 games in 8 day run saw us come out with 4 points, I'd be happy with the same again.

Bowyer will be rotating the squad across those 3 games, but we have decent depth considering Oztumer and Matthews are missing from your 18 (and Lapslie if he's fit). We do need Hemed and Kayal available for the WBA squad (with Leko and Field not available) so that will also be a major factor
  • Options
    Yeah found it difficult to leave out Matthews and Oztumer to be honest

After JFC's performance against Fulham I didnt want to drop him for Erhun; As for Matthews he might be on the bench instead of Oshilaja but would expect him to be rested and so play against Bristol City
  • Options
    Great preview as usual FA. 
    With three games in quick succession coming up it's good to have a few returning from injury. 
    On paper this looks to be the easiest of the three although saying that no game will be that easy in this league. 
    2.1 Charlton in a tough faught game. 
  • Options
    Have you heard this FA:

LB: “Hemed and Kayal have trained this week, so it’s good to have them back out there, but this weekend might be too early for them because they were already playing catch up.”
    #cafc

That answers the questions on them. Always hopeful so go for 2-0 win. Clean sheet would be good
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Have you heard this FA:

LB: “Hemed and Kayal have trained this week, so it’s good to have them back out there, but this weekend might be too early for them because they were already playing catch up.”
    #cafc

That answers the questions on them. Always hopeful so go for 2-0 win. Clean sheet would be good
    Yeah I frustratingly uploaded the Preview before seeing Bowyer's comments
  • Options
    I liked that back five at Fulham with JFC as left wing back. It just looked so much more composed and balanced and we looked less overhauled in midfield against a very high quality Fulham side.

I would like to see it deployed again but in LB we trust.

2-1 Charlton  (Cullen and Bonne for us)
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Have you heard this FA:

#cafc

I assume Matthews will be included on bench
  • Options
    LB: “I’ll have a walkie-talkie to the bench so the only difference will be that Jacko will be shouting the instructions!” #cafc
  • Options
    First trip to the Valley this season so looking forward to it!

Charlton win 1-0. Bonne to keep up his brilliant progress.
  • Options
    2 -0. Bonne and Gallagher 
  • Options
    This will be a tricky home game for the Addicks; Derby are dangerous on the road.

It should be another three points but probably not one of our better performances as some players try to keep some energy back for the matches later in the week.

Charlton 2-0 ... Gallagher and BFG II with the goals.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think Field and Leko will be deployed in a delicate manner because neither will be able to play against West Bromwich Albion.
    Good point this. Bow loves to Rotate and so would expect Field and Leko from the start saturday to then have others fresh for mid week.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Have you heard this FA:

#cafc

ross1 said:
    Have you heard this FA:

#cafc

Reckon that means they will be on the bench to try and get some minutes.
  • Options
    No idea why but I’ve got a bad feeling. 0 - 2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Good point this. Bow loves to Rotate and so would expect Field and Leko from the start saturday to then have others fresh for mid week.
    I think they’re a shoe in to start in midweek due to not being able to play at West Brom. I also do think that Kayal and Hemed, especially Hemed, will be on the bench on Saturday.
  • Options
    Perhaps, I am getting old and indecisive, but every game we play I can foresee a win, a draw or a defeat. This one could easily be 2-1, 1-1 or 1-2. My prediction is, therefore, 2-3 goals with both sides scoring.
  • Options
    Quite confident although I’d be more so with Jonny starting which I think is unlikely. Need a big game from little Ozzy. 
  • Options
    Perhaps, I am getting old and indecisive, but every game we play I can foresee a win, a draw or a defeat. This one could easily be 2-1, 1-1 or 1-2. My prediction is, therefore, 2-3 goals with both sides scoring.
    I'm same. 100%.
  • Options
    I wouldnt change too much from the excellent point at Fulham. Purrington in for Sarr would probably be my only change. JFC is not my favourite player but he had a great game last time out.....although I understand we might not want to be so defensive at home.

1-1. With the scummy 2 getting both goals.
  • Options
    Tight but hoping we can sneak it with a 1-0. I am going for a Pearce headed from a corner. Gonna be another tense backs to the wall last 20 minutes. COYRs
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I think the County under their well-loved Spondon-born hero Frank Lampard (cut me and I bleed Trent water) will be too strong for us.  I can only forsee a 5-0 defeat.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    seth plum said:
    I think they’re a shoe in to start in midweek due to not being able to play at West Brom. I also do think that Kayal and Hemed, especially Hemed, will be on the bench on Saturday.
    Got confused in my head. Thought west Brom was midweek.... 

Leko to do saturda and weds then miss Saturday. Field to just play mid week.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Felling good about the Addicks at the moment...  Think I am due a kick in the Duchâtelet's!

0-1