Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Edinburgh advice

Me and my better half are off to Edinburgh shortly for four days and I just wanted to seek some recommendations.

I've booked into the fish and chip restaurant that in Leith that Tom Kerridge visited recently as that looks very good.

Has anyone got any suggestions for other restaurants ( reasonably priced ) and a decent bar that would offer some good gins.

Any advise on places to visit also wlecome.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Great City, do the hop on hop off bus tours, Castle, Holyrood House (Royal Palace), Royal yacht Britannia to name but a few of the highlights, enjoy.
  • Options
    The Globe on George Street has a good gin selection. 
  • Options
    Brilliant city far better than Glasgow which is a toilet. 
  • Options
    Phil, if you are into your gins, then head first to The Gin Company on North Bridge, that will whet you appetite and they will point you in the right direction for the best bars serving the best gins.
    Restaurants are a plenty and you will find whatever suits your taste and budget easily enough. It 
    Google the sights etc... you can find most of what's on offer easily enough without paying for tours.... do it yourself is my advice as there's plenty to see..... check out the sights where JK Rowling got her ideas from is quite interesting and gets you to see and feel some of the old Edinburgh.

• Options
    Choose Life ....
  • Options
    Don’t mention football or rugby...
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Best thing to do in Edinburgh? Get the train to Glasgow.

joking aside, Mary Queens close is interesting if you’re into history, An underground village basically. 
  • Options
    Talk about the Rugby World Cup down the pub and ask, aren't the home side doing well?
  • Options
    Phil said:
    Me and my better half are off to Edinburgh shortly for four days and I just wanted to seek some recommendations.

I've booked into the fish and chip restaurant that in Leith that Tom Kerridge visited recently as that looks very good.

Has anyone got any suggestions for other restaurants ( reasonably priced ) and a decent bar that would offer some good gins.

Any advise on places to visit also wlecome.

Thanks in advance.
    Go to the Grass Market between Princes Street and the castle.  A good night out to be had.
  • Options
    Glasgow is very earthy, but the people are 'brand new'.

Edinburgh is very decent though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In fairness I was there for 3 days and England were in town so locals weren’t exactly that welcoming. 
  • Options

In fairness I was there for 3 days and England were in town so locals weren’t exactly that welcoming. 
    I done the sweaties v England at Hampden in '89.

The locals said any other day than v the Auld Enemy and things are fine.  I can vouch for this with numerous visits and have found the locals everywhere all great.
  • Options
    The Cafe Royal, best pub in Edinburgh. A minutes walk from the Balmoral Hotel at the Leith end of Princes Street. I would also recommend the Dome on George Street. Both decent to eat in too.
  • Options
    If the royal yacht brittania is still there it's worth a visit in leith... Great pubs on the Royal mile but best is deacon brodies about half way up... If you fancy a cheap breakfast there is a lovely little place called snack attack near the station...

Castle is also a must with great views of the city... But to top it off take a train to Cowdenbeath and visit the Mecca of Scottish football... Central Park... Home of the mighty blue Brazil.... 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    RedChaser said:
    Great City, do the hop on hop off bus tours, Castle, Holyrood House (Royal Palace), Royal yacht Britannia to name but a few of the highlights, enjoy.
    I agree with this. The Edinburgh Rendezvous in Queen Street is a good Chinese or The Dome in George Street. I can suggest a few pubs but you won't go far wrong in the Grassmarket or Rose Street. Where are you staying?

Heads & Tales Gin Bar is in Rutland Place at the other end of Princess Street to the Cafe Royal but near the chinese I mentioned
  • Options
    If the royal yacht brittania is still there it's worth a visit in leith... Great pubs on the Royal mile but best is deacon brodies about half way up... If you fancy a cheap breakfast there is a lovely little place called snack attack near the station...

Castle is also a must with great views of the city... But to top it off take a train to Cowdenbeath and visit the Mecca of Scottish football... Central Park... Home of the mighty blue Brazil.... 
    Then stay for the banger racing in the evening.
  • Options
    In Rose Street there are lots of pubs but some of the traditional ones have closed and are now eateries. When I lived up there it was a challenge to go from one end to the other having a pint in each one without falling over... Most failed... 
  • Options

I've eaten on board the Royal Yacht Britannia... Very nice it was too
  • Options

I've eaten on board the Royal Yacht Britannia... Very nice it was too
    I have too but only a sarnie as I worked on it fitting it out... Took an engine out and replaced it.... 
  • Options
    Did a thoroughly enjoyable ghost walk round the City.

Stopped at several local hostelries to add to the evening.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    AllysArmy said:
    Best thing to do in Edinburgh? Get the train to Glasgow.

joking aside, Mary Queens close is interesting if you’re into history, An underground village basically. 
    Mary Kings Close may be a better bet  :)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated.
    Will endeavour to do as many as we can!
  • Options
    Holyrood distillery opened up in July - whisky and gin, if that's your thing
  • Options
    https://chaophraya.co.uk/edinburgh/

loved this place when I was up there with work
  • Options
    Have done a few business trips to Edinburgh and been taken out many times by my hosts there but don't have local knowledge.

+1 for Rose Street (& often some live music)
    +1 Grassmarket - plenty of bars

I also liked the Howie's on Victoria Terrace for traditional Scottish - nice terrace with other options too.
  • Options
    Glad you enjoyed Phil...Lived close to if for 6 years and didn't take advantage when I was there.
  • Options
    Phil said:
    Thanks again for all the suggestions.
    we had a great time made all the better by the warm and friendly welcome everywhere we went.
    we did a lot of walking, seemingly always uphill!!
    managed to visit the castle, the underground area in King Mary Close, Royal Yacht Britannia, Edinburgh Dungeons.
    in addition, went to the Stand comedy club which was pretty good.
    Cafe Royal was excellent and quite rightly very busy. 
    Had the best fish and chips ever in the Fishmarket, Newhaven.
    i can thoroughly recommend an Edinburgh visit. What a fantastic city!

Did you grab a drink in Deacon brodies at all and of course see the mighty cowden,,,They were at home saturday and duly lost.
  • Options
    Sadly not to either. I wasn’t there on Saturday. I would love to have taken in a game anywhere but doubt the missus would have been up for it!
  • Options
    Off there for st Andrews day weekend... Went to uni there many years ago. Looking forward to it