Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    £96 for a ticket.

Seriously where do they get these prices from.

Be very surprised if it sells out at that price
  • Options
    £96 for a ticket.

Keeps the riff raff out!
  • Options
    People say that every year but every year these dinners sell out.

Not for me but there's enough people out there willing and able to pay that much.
  • Options
    £96 for a ticket.

Very few of the people who go actually pay for their own ticket. These nights aren’t for the likes of most of us.

They've found a formula that gets them to sell enough tables and know they have within that some regular companies / individuals who will support and make their auctions achieve well.   
  • Options
    These events are not arranged for ordinary fans hence the prohibitive pricing.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    These events are not arranged for ordinary fans hence the prohibitive pricing.
    Just not true

There was an event this week that cost £10

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d5fefed72891/celebrate-the-60s-and-70s-with-an-evening-through-the-decades

That is within the price range of just about any fan.

There will be two more similar event, I presume at similar prices.

The dinner is more expensive so people can choose whether to go or not.

£96 for a ticket.

Very few of the people who go actually pay for their own ticket. These nights aren’t for the likes of most of us.

They've found a formula that gets them to sell enough tables and know they have within that some regular companies / individuals who will support and make their auctions achieve well.   
    Not sure how true that is.

It's not my thing but I know people who do go and do buy there own tickets.  Of course, there are corporate tables too but it's still someone at the top of that company deciding to spend the money.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I don’t go so don’t know for sure, but my understanding is you are much more likely to get 10 individuals (either wedged or can flush it through their company expenses) pay £900 each for 10 tables than get 100 people pay £95 each. That’s why the price is relatively a moot point, as they know they have a core of individuals that will support that regardless of whether that table is £600 or £900. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't pay £95 for vegetarian food that turns out to be an irritated afterthought of grey slop.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I wouldn't pay £95 for vegetarian food that turns out to be an irritated afterthought of grey slop.

Me neither...match ticket £25, round trip rail tickets for some northern ground £65, meat pie with no meat in it £5....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ok.
    Any idea what the vegetarian option is...for this or any other club event?
    I can never discover what is on offer on the website.
    When the meat offer is (sometimes) specified, and at best vegetarian is something (a problem?) that is not mentioned at all  or is vague or unspecified, it suggests to me that catering for veggies is a very grudging afterthought.
    That might be all well and good generally, but not for a meal costing nearly a hundred quid
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Yes, it's expensive but it is a once in a lifetime event, even the youngest of us won't make the next one. I enjoy these dinners for the occasion, even though my cancer surgery prevents me from eating much. I would say though, that it's now unfair to say to the vegetarian option is slop. Have always been a meat eater but some of our group are veggies, even vegans, and they have praised their option. Sometimes the meat eaters even choose it as it sounds so nice.
    I agree its once in a lifetime, just a shame they dont make it more accessible for people, seriously in this day and age how many people can afford £96 for one dinner.

Take it down to £40-£50 and make it more accessible for majority of fans
  • Options
    To be fair they do these evenings fairly regularly, this anniversary might be “once in a lifetime” but the experience isn’t. 

Really not my sort of thing but if tickets sell well then there is clearly a market for it so fair play. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Ok.
    Any idea what the vegetarian option is...for this or any other club event?
    I can never discover what is on offer on the website.
    When the meat offer is (sometimes) specified, and at best vegetarian is something (a problem?) that is not mentioned at all  or is vague or unspecified, it suggests to me that catering for veggies is a very grudging afterthought.
    That might be all well and good generally, but not for a meal costing nearly a hundred quid
    I may be wrong, but I believe when they announce hospitality in their various lounges for matches that the vegetarian option is now included as well as the meat one, Seth. Have not seen any menus for this event yet.
  • Options
    The minimum wage for 16-17 year olds is £4.35 an hour. A lot of our enthusiastic support is in that age group. For 18-20 it is £6.15 an hour, £7.70 for 21-24 year olds, and £8.21 over 25.
    The club knows this stuff full well judging by the pay rate advertised for a new media technology person (who had to be a graduate) for around that number.
    So a 16-17 year old would have to work 22 hours just to pay for a ticket. Over 25's nearly 12 hours.
    If these kinds of sacrifices are demanded, then at the very least the food ought to be of a Ritz standard, with more than one choice, including for vegans and vegetarians.
    The reality from my perspective is that the event is aimed at being exclusive and for rich old carnivores/omnivores.

• Options
    I attended a POTY once!
    Admittedly GHF paid! 🙂
    Is my point about the relationship between wages and ticket prices invalid?
  • Options
    You do make me laugh Seth. 

Every year without fail fail you end up in some meaningless debate about an event you have zero likelihood in attending. 
    If they are not going to put on a couple of decent veggie options we will never know.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    seth plum said:
    The minimum wage for 16-17 year olds is £4.35 an hour. A lot of our enthusiastic support is in that age group. For 18-20 it is £6.15 an hour, £7.70 for 21-24 year olds, and £8.21 over 25.
    The club knows this stuff full well judging by the pay rate advertised for a new media technology person (who had to be a graduate) for around that number.
    So a 16-17 year old would have to work 22 hours just to pay for a ticket. Over 25's nearly 12 hours.
    If these kinds of sacrifices are demanded, then at the very least the food ought to be of a Ritz standard, with more than one choice, including for vegans and vegetarians.
    The reality from my perspective is that the event is aimed at being exclusive and for rich old carnivores/omnivores.

I've been "biting my lip", but as there's no sign of an end to your relentless criticism, I think it's not unreasonable to mention that you even complain about the cost of printing a match ticket, which possibly costs somewhere between 2p and 5p. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

I've been "biting my lip", but as there's no sign of an end to your relentless criticism, I think it's not unreasonable to mention that you even complain about the cost of printing a match ticket, which possibly costs somewhere between 2p and 5p. 
    It's even worse if you're in a last minute hurry and your printer has no ink...or paper...or no printer!
    Pointing out a relationship between the ticket price and wages is relentless criticism is it?
    OK. Carry on.
  • Options
    What you call whinging I call a mixture of opinion and feedback.
    Year after year.
  • Options
    But as Hants Addick explained it's misinformed opinion based on out of date assumptions.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I attended a POTY once!
    Admittedly GHF paid! 🙂
    Is my point about the relationship between wages and ticket prices invalid?

Yes, and a brilliant night it was!! I booked a table because it was the 60th anniversary of my first Charlton game, and it was a privilege to invite some real Addicks stalwarts to share the evening. The whole event was a celebration, and on the night nothing gave me greater pleasure than to hear you say how much you really had enjoyed it, your first such attendance I believe.

We live in the land of It Is What It Is - these occasions can be enjoyed simply for what they are. I'm no fan of mass catering but I've always found the food and the service very acceptable, with a lot of credit due to unsung club trojans such as Brigitte who do all they can to give us a good evening.

It's a 100% pure Addicks celebration, no more, no less. Enjoy!!

• Options
    edited October 2019
    seth plum said:
    Year after year.
    The vast majority of which is negative.

My feedback is that it might be worth trying to enjoy life, you know have a bit of fun, rather than providing constant negative feedback.
    Particularly on events that you possibly wouldn't even go to, even if the cost was £20.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Year after year.
    The vast majority of which is negative.

My feedback is that might be worth trying to enjoy life, you know have a bit of fun, rather than providing constant negative feedback. Particularly on events that you possibly wouldn't even go to, even if the cost was £20.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I would dispute your use of the word constant, and I imagine we have very different ideas about what constitutes fun.
    You have even added a bit of speculation about me, you needn't have taken the trouble.
    Either way it is a distraction from my points about wages, ticket prices, and vegetarian food. It is easier to push back against the person making the points than the points themselves and I fully understand you doing so.
  • Options
    But as Hants Addick explained it's misinformed opinion based on out of date assumptions.

My attempts to update my assumptions have included emailing the new catering company about vegetarian offers at the Valley, and looking at the Charlton site regarding vegetarian options at events.
    Unsuccessful attempts, although to be fair the prices of events are usually prominent, I remain curious about what you get for the money.
  • Options

It's less about what is laid on for the money than what each guest takes from the event. I remember you being very engaged with the proceedings and being the bit of a dark horse that you can be,  despite your rookie status you nevertheless arranged for me to receive a special presentation.  Of course that in no way invalidates your views, which are admirably sincere and consistent, but it does give an extra dimension. 

So, what you get out of the night depends very much what you put in - it's little or nothing to do with money and everything to do with being a true Addick. I'm hoping that @Rossman92 will join me as my guest - let's just await his verdict!!