Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ex-League Grounds

2»

Comments

• Options
    Yes Bramall Lane was a 3 sided football ground until the 1970s, football at the top of the picture, the cricket pavilion at the bottom. A 4th stand was added in the 70s, the rest of the cricket ground is now a car park

• Options
    Thought you had missed a couple of obvious ones but then realised they quite match your criteria. The Oval was used for the first 20 FA Cup finals and then, more recently, the Millenium Stadium was used while Wembley was being rebuilt. Don't think either of those have been used for League games though. 
  • Options
    @redman - The Millenium Stadium is a good shout because the League Play Off Finals were played there. This sometimes comes up with Wembley despite Orient and now Spurs having played home League games there, and I'm interested in people's views. On the one hand you could argue that Wembley is briefly a League ground every May, but on the other hand it is a neutral venue. One team is nominated the 'home' team so the dressing rooms etc can be allocated, but it's not considered to be a genuine 'home' game for that team. Wembley has not been included as a current ground by us or the 92 Club but I'm interested in what people think about it. I wouldn't change the name of the site because '92' is kind of iconic now, but it's definitely worth thinking about.

@killerandflash - great pictures and it looks as though people would have had a very distant view of the pitch when they hit their record crowd of 68,287 against Leeds in 1936!
  • Options
    @LenGlover - I've had a look at the map of Park Avenue that Paul Smith produced and compared it against the current Google Maps satellite view and it does look as though some of the pitch is still being used. I suppose there's an argument to say the Better Gym built on the other part is also used for sport but I don't think we can count that! I'm going to leave it in the list for old times sake.

As for grounds with cricket on one side and football on the other, I think Bramall Lane was like that the first time I went to see Sheff Utd, although I might be mis-remembering? The County Ground was the oddity, with cricket and football both played on the same pitch. I went to the Charlton cup game in the '80s and there was a rope down one touchline for us to stand behind because we were actually standing on part of the cricket outfield.
    Well I definitely had some 'sport' on the centre circle of Park Avenue back in 1979 one Saturday night with a local Bratford lass.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    @LenGlover - I've had a look at the map of Park Avenue that Paul Smith produced and compared it against the current Google Maps satellite view and it does look as though some of the pitch is still being used. I suppose there's an argument to say the Better Gym built on the other part is also used for sport but I don't think we can count that! I'm going to leave it in the list for old times sake.

As for grounds with cricket on one side and football on the other, I think Bramall Lane was like that the first time I went to see Sheff Utd, although I might be mis-remembering? The County Ground was the oddity, with cricket and football both played on the same pitch. I went to the Charlton cup game in the '80s and there was a rope down one touchline for us to stand behind because we were actually standing on part of the cricket outfield.
    No, Bramall Lane was one big field, and the football pitch had the cricket square on one side and three stands around the rest (like Northampton). First time I went in 1968, it was like that. They then built the new main stand on the cricket pitch.  

Edit - Sorry, just seen the pic confirming this.
  • Options
    Didn't Barnet get kicked out of their original stadium? Was that also the Hive?
  • Options
    Does Gigg Lane count, seeing as Bury are no longer a league club? Or are you just going on clubs as of the beginning of the season?
  • Options
    That was Underhill. They weren't exactly kicked out as they wanted to leave Underhill anyway, but wanted to move to Copthall where instead Saracens went so Barnet built up their Hive facility
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Notts County used to play at Trent Bridge for a while whilst they were a League Club...
  • Options
    Underhill
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @lordromford - we are counting Gigg Lane for this season but it will be greyed out on the wallchart. As has been discussed elsewhere on this forum and beyond, the EFL's inability to protect and care for its member clubs is shabby in the extreme. In our view they should have given Bury a suspended season while a new owner is found and the club built up again. It would not have been difficult to then arrange for them to start next season in League 2. In my opinion the EFL needs to get the message that the Premier League money has not only skewed that competition but also had a knock-on effect in their own. They need to accept that clubs are more likely to go bust, and just abandoning them is also abandoning the wider community who support each club. We're all football fans to a greater or lesser extent and no-one wants to see another club lost.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Selhurst Park was the temporary home of Charlton Athletic and then Wimbledon, but is no longer used for sport of any kind.
    Yes it is...

• Options
    Let's see if Wilfred tries that in their next game.