Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

O'Neill's Blackheath

2»

Comments

• Options
    O'Neill's was great on a Friday back in the Premieship days, Youds was a regular

• Options
    Summer time outside the Hare and Billet,  16 years old gawping at the crumpet, without the faintest of hopes of pulling...  1979, those were the days!
    You could have been the bit of rough for the posh totty.
    Well mate... there's rough and then there is rough!
  • Options
    Always prefered Princess, Railway (Furkin) and Hare and Billet. Never personally got on with O'neills or the Crown, but my mates seemed to like em though
    The Railway is filthy, plus littered with beers regularly 'off'.

Hare n Billet is the best by a mile.
    Is that Italian manageress still there? Covered in tattoos and massive chest.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Always prefered Princess, Railway (Furkin) and Hare and Billet. Never personally got on with O'neills or the Crown, but my mates seemed to like em though

No idea.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

No idea.
    You sure Elfs? 😜
  • Options
    Natalia. Yes, I believe she is. 

Still the best pub in Blackheath but is nowhere near as good as it was a few years back. Used to be one of the best pubs in London for the quality and variety of beer. Was run by a really nice bunch too. Sadly the manager was kicked out for having lock-ins (which may have clouded my judgement of the place.)
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Still the best pub in Blackheath but is nowhere near as good as it was a few years back. Used to be one of the best pubs in London for the quality and variety of beer. Was run by a really nice bunch too. Sadly the manager was kicked out for having lock-ins (which may have clouded my judgement of the place.)
    No! That’s very sad to hear.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Yeah. Still some good people there though. Natalia runs a tight ship. I like a loose ship personally, especially when it comes to pubs.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    iaitch said:

No idea.
    You sure Elfs? 😜
    Not about the tatts anyway.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Vincenzo said:

Yeah. Still some good people there though. Natalia runs a tight ship. I like a loose ship personally, especially when it comes to pubs.
    It was always somewhere people in my old profession went with someone they didn’t want to be seen with. Hubby & I would regularly bump into rather embarrassed looking work colleagues there lol 
    We just went for the ale!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Vincenzo said:

It was always somewhere people in my old profession went with someone they didn’t want to be seen with. Hubby & I would regularly bump into rather embarrassed looking work colleagues there lol 
    We just went for the ale!
    Yeah.....if you say so. :|
  • Options
    O'Neill's was great on a Friday back in the Premieship days, Youds was a regular

And Sasa Ilic,  saw him in there a few times.
  • Options

I got talking to the ex-landlord from the Hare and Billet (70s/80s), she said, back then, Blackheath was quite a regular destination for stag-dos with many ending up at the Hare and Billet at the end of the night.  She recalled that one group stripped the groom-to-be naked and threw him as far in to the pond outside as they could.  What they didn’t realise is, the pond is lined with decades worth of beer glasses that customers have chucked in over the years.  When the stag eventually crawled back out he was covered in blood pouring from dozens of lacerations.  An ambulance had to be called.  I hope he wasn’t getting married the next day, it might have taken some explaining.
  • Options
    Remember sneaking past the security guard in the Clarendon and drinking through till daylight hours in the Nautical Bar a few times. 

• Options
    edited October 2019
    _MrDick said:
    used to be the Three Tuns  .. great pub .. 40 years ago
    Really ?
    I lived in Blackheath 40 years ago and it was the worst. Full of old men.
    Ahem ... I was an underage drinker in the mid-70’s and was a frequent visitor (4 nights a week) until Olive and Charlie retired in 1988. It was not long after that it became O’Neills. You must’ve gone in on a night me and my mates, the two football teams, Squeeze, Jools Holland and various others weren’t in there.

Kate Bush was a regular back in the day.
    Is that true @SoundAsa£? Did you ever see her there, or did you hear that?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Vincenzo said:
    _MrDick said:
    Really ?
    Ahem ... I was an underage drinker in the mid-70’s and was a frequent visitor (4 nights a week) until Olive and Charlie retired in 1988. It was not long after that it became O’Neills. You must’ve gone in on a night me and my mates, the two football teams, Squeeze, Jools Holland and various others weren’t in there.

Absolutely true.....at that time I wasn’t often there and didn’t ‘knowingly’ see her myself but it was common knowledge that she was or had been a regular. Though whether it was before, during or after her rise to fame I’m not sure..........probably before she really hit the big time I’d say.
    She and her crowd knocked around in the village for quite a while and were well known faces on the Blackheath scene.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    _MrDick said:
    Really ?

Absolutely true.....at that time I wasn’t often there and didn’t ‘knowingly’ see her myself but it was common knowledge that she was or had been a regular. Though whether it was before, during or after her rise to fame I’m not sure..........probably before she really hit the big time I’d say.
    She and her crowd knocked around in the village for quite a while and were well known faces on the Blackheath scene.
    I lived in Blackheath up until 1987 and was out drinking over Blackheath Village 3 or 4 nights a week, for 10 years, between 78 & 87.

Our group of up to 20 were pretty much all music fans.
    I never heard Kate Bush mentioned, which seems a bit strange if it was common knowledge.

Mind you, as you say, Wuthering Heights charted in January 78, so she could have stopped going, about the time I started.
    However, if she stopped going at age 19, she couldn't have knocked around for much more than a year or two.

(I don't disbelieve what someone told you).
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    _MrDick said:
    Really ?

I lived in Blackheath up until 1987 and was out drinking over Blackheath Village 3 or 4 nights a week, for 10 years, between 78 & 87.

I never heard Kate Bush mentioned, which seems a bit strange if it was common knowledge.

Mind you, as you say, Wuthering Heights charted in January 78, so she could have stopped going, about the time I started.
    However, if she stopped going at age 19, she couldn't have knocked around for much more than a year or two.

She might have seen you in there mate and walked straight back out.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    _MrDick said:
    Really ?

Well at least she would have seen me :-)
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    _MrDick said:
    Really ?

I think she used to go there at one time before she was a celeb with a group of friends and it was known by quite a few when she hit the big time that she had knocked around in the village for a while, that’s how I and others got to know about it, just a teenage haunt for her and some friends.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I used to live next door but one to Chris Difford & Chris & Glen Tilbrook used to drink in the village, although I never saw them. I was on nodding terms with Jool's younger twin brothers Christopher & Richard who went to Invicta infants.

Jools lived above the barbers at Westcombe Hill, The Standard, in those days.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I used to live next door but one to Chris Difford & Chris & Glen Tilbrook used to drink in the village, although I never saw them. I was on nodding terms with Jool's younger twin brothers Christopher & Richard who went to Invicta infants.

Jools lived above the barbers at Westcombe Hill, The Standard, in those days.
    And he went to Shooters Hill Grammar school I believe.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Vincenzo said:
    _MrDick said:
    Really ?

I think she used to go there at one time before she was a celeb with a group of friends and it was known by quite a few when she hit the big time that she had knocked around in the village for a while, that’s how I and others got to know about it, just a teenage haunt for her and some friends.
    Thanks for the info. I'm doing a podcast about her soon, so that's quite useful. Interviewed a couple of members of her original band (KT Bush Band) in Dirty South yesterday - the pub where she played her first gig, back when it was the Rose of Lee.

Quite plausible she would have gone to the Tuns as she studied at Blackheath Conservatoire from 1970-76.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    _MrDick said:
    Really ?

Well at least she would have seen me :-)
    Very true lofty.