Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Czech Republic / Bulgaria

Comments

• Haven’t lost a qualifier for over 10 years. 
    Has to happen eventually
  • BR3red said:
    Haven’t lost a qualifier for over 10 years. 
    Really ? Blimey 😳
    Ukraine 1-0 England, 10 October 2009.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Like when in a group with Croatia and Spain in nations league? 
    The comments about the Nations League being the International version of the CheckaTrade Trophy will be along in a minute
  • 1 poor performance and the part time fans will go into melt down. It’s been really really poor but it’s not the end of the world.
    Mate we haven't beaten anybody whos a top team for years. Belgium beat us twice and deservedly so. We are average at best. 
  • BR3red said:
    Haven’t lost a qualifier for over 10 years. 
    Really ? Blimey 😳
    Yup. Last qualifying defeat was in Ukraine. 10/10/2009
  • You have to say this has been really poor from England. There is no escaping that.
  • 1 poor performance and the part time fans will go into melt down. It’s been really really poor but it’s not the end of the world.
    Mate we haven't beaten anybody whos a top team for years. Belgium beat us twice and deservedly so. We are average at best. 
    Spain... 3-2 in their own backyard
  • RedChaser said:
    Don't think I'd better watch tonight as I've jinxed two games watched on stream today already. Our U23's away to QPR today conceded an injury time penalty to draw 3-3 and England U21's have just conceded in injury time to a Slovenia free kick in the D for 2-2. Connor Gallagher came on with 30 mins to go and did ok.
    Oh well that's my hat trick today, night all 😴
  • Congrats Czech Republic!!

Didnt play us off the park but did enough to stop us from managing to control the game and so drag it into a scrap

Defeat will help in the long run as wont paper over the cracks
  • Not good enough i'm afraid. Got what we deserved.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2019
    Once again they get caught out pissing around at the back. Pickford should have sent it to Row Z in the lead up to their winner. 
  • Laddick01 said:
    Lol’d again. These may be the worst second seed in the competition, and they’ve been better than us.

Southgate doesn’t have a working system, if we go in to a tournament like this we might as well book our flight home before the WF’s.
    So the last results in this Group and the Nations League have been down to pure luck?

I'll agree with you that we've looked rubbish tonight - Every game you say Southgate lacks tactical nous, must be nice to get it right once in a while 
    Spain away was a great result. In my mind that’s where it ends. 

We lost to an OK Croatia side after being gifted the easiest WC run we’ve ever had.
    We lost to a Netherlands side with a great core, but one that lacked any attacking threat. 

Outside of that weve we’ve really not played many top sides under Southgate. I’m not denying that he’s managed to galvanise the national side and make us play as a unit, but he now has a lot of quality at his disposal and should not be losing 2-1 against the Czech’s
  • edited October 2019
    You do have to wonder when you have Kane, Sterling and Sancho up front who are probably worth 100m each, why do we look so toothless up front?
  • Did Rashford kick the ball? Not digging him out btw
  • Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Lol’d again. These may be the worst second seed in the competition, and they’ve been better than us.

Southgate doesn’t have a working system, if we go in to a tournament like this we might as well book our flight home before the WF’s.
    So the last results in this Group and the Nations League have been down to pure luck?

I'll agree with you that we've looked rubbish tonight - Every game you say Southgate lacks tactical nous, must be nice to get it right once in a while 
    Spain away was a great result. In my mind that’s where it ends. 

We lost to an OK Croatia side after being gifted the easiest WC run we’ve ever had.
    We lost to a Netherlands side with a great core, but one that lacked any attacking threat. 

Outside of that weve we’ve really not played many top sides under Southgate. I’m not denying that he’s managed to galvanise the national side and make us play as a unit, but he now has a lot of quality at his disposal and should not be losing 2-1 against the Czech’s
    For me its still be the ability to annihilate teams under Southgate

First time tonight we've not scored four goals in this Group... Now I know the teams are a bunch of piss but thats the same every qualifying group

Its why I dont get the mockery of "It was only Panama" when we beat them 6-0

For years we've struggled against these teams, have seen performances that were 10x worse than how we played tonight under recent Managers: Algeria in the World Cup | Montenegro away | the whole of the 2014 World Cup yet pretty much under Southgate we've learnt to brush teams like this aside

As mentioned already; its been 10-years since we lost a Qualifying game... Had to happen again eventually

The only event like that that'll never happen is a Charlton win over Millwall, am sorry to break it to everyone but thats the truth
  • edited October 2019
    You do have to wonder when you have Kane, Sterling and Sancho up front who are probably worth 100m each, why do we look so toothless up front?
    The question is, how many times did the Midfield feed them the ball

Henderson and Rice just didnt link up with Mount ahead of them who couldnt create for those front three

God knows why the two CDM's got left on the pitch with Mount taken off

Sorry Southgate but that in my eyes was a poor call - In terms of Rice at the moment it feels as though he's playing to save face and so not embarrass ourselves in front of the Irish by making such a big effort to get the player in the first place, its going to look damned awkward if we then suddenly didnt play him at all
  • edited October 2019
    It's a fair enough point that an off game had to come around eventually but I wouldn't be shocked if we are similarly awful against Bulgaria. This wasn't just a bit of bad luck that can cause a dodgy result, the home side deserved their win. That's concerning.

I just hope I'm wrong and we record a 4-0/5-0 victory and we can forget about this sorry performance in Prague.
  • Sterling did ok with scraps. Pickford kept us in it.

As for the rest poor.
  • I reckon we'll be fine in Bulgaria (partly thanks to their Stadium ban)

Play like tonight in Kosovo next month though after their performance at St. Mary's?

If that happens its not going to be 10-years before we lose again
  • Sponsored links:

• BR3red said:
    Did Rashford kick the ball? Not digging him out btw
    I dont think so...
  • I don't always watch England games but what does Rice offer? He seems average
  • Defence was not up to it, don’t rate Henderson and Rice or Keane either, don’t know if Taa and Chilwell were injured, but rose and tripier don’t look up to it.
  • edited October 2019
    imo the nations league means nothing.  as far as i know we didn't even win it.

if we do it against a top team in an actual tournament then it means something but we haven't beaten a decent top team for years in a proper tournament. the major question should be why? we shouldn't be happy with a semi final defeat against Croatia (the first team we met who is half decent) why are our players so poor when they are the highest paid at their job. 
  • Michael Keane does seem to be Southgate's "best of the rest" CB with Stones injured and Gomez not playing, but is he really the best choice?

Just looking at the teams with tight defences, the likes of Burnley and (sorry) Palace, is Keane really better than Tarkowski or even Gary Cahill?
  • imo the nations league means nothing.  as far as i know we didn't even win it.

if we do it against a top team in an actual tournament then it means something but we haven't beaten a decent top team for years in a proper tournament. the major question should be why? we shouldn't be happy with a semi final defeat against Croatia (the first team we met who is half decent) why are our players so poor when they are the highest paid at their job. 
    Why? Because football is the most competitive sport in the world. We have no right to win anything, but we can compete and the last World Cup we did. Knockout football is very difficult and against Croatia we weren’t up to it. However, if you was to change international football to a league format, then there’s no doubting I think we would be in the top 6.
  • Why play two DMs when the full backs barely entered the last third? Henderson has always been toilet and has played only 7 games for Liverpool this season.
  • imo the nations league means nothing.  as far as i know we didn't even win it.

Why? Because football is the most competitive sport in the world. We have no right to win anything, but we can compete and the last World Cup we did. Knockout football is very difficult and against Croatia we weren’t up to it. However, if you was to change international football to a league format, then there’s no doubting I think we would be in the top 6.
    i know we have no divine right to win a tournament but what i cant stand is that we are celebrating a disappointing performance against an ok Croatia team.  it was a good summer because of the draw we got and the way we played was alot better than when we played under previous managers to the point we are saying southgate and the players did a good job. which they did up to a telling moment. they got found out by two teams who were easily better than them and neither went on to win the tournament.

i know we have no divine right to win a tournament but what i cant stand is that we are celebrating a disappointing performance against an ok Croatia team.  it was a good summer because of the draw we got and the way we played was alot better than when we played under previous managers to the point we are saying southgate and the players did a good job. which they did up to a telling moment. they got found out by two teams who were easily better than them and neither went on to win the tournament.
    Because they both got beat by the best team in the world. You’re saying we aren’t good we are just above average which I don’t think is fair.