Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Czech Republic / Bulgaria

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    The Bulgarians should have walked off when the fourth goal went in. 
  • Options
    Barney Ronay tried to have a go at the whiff of hypocrisy from our side, but that particular article got taken down quickly. Instead he seems to have laid the ball off to Marina Hyde who finishes with deadly Kane like precision.

Uncomfortable read, which is exactly  why she wrote it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/16/bulgaria-england-black-white-raheem-sterling-sofia?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    Texts from my Bulgarian buddy in Sofia this morning. Some excerpts "I apologize for our racist public and congratulations for the score" after I replied, he writes back "Thank you that you understand that Bulgarian football hooligans do not represent the rest of Bulgarians but they still bring big shame for my country"

the thing is that this buddy, not the football mad one, has nevertheless been to a Charlton game with me. It was at the old Toolbox in Feb 1992. We could hardly put a team out and gave a debut to Jermain Darlington. He hardly touched the ball, and was subbed after 70 mins. He had to walk around three quarters of the perimeter and the whole Toolbox rose to acclaim him as he passed. Everyone, in every stand, they booed him because of the colour of his skin.

I was there and I didn't rise or boo. I have no doubt that he got some unwarranted and, ultimately, disgusting stick from the stands. However your disingenuity, in claiming that it was 'everyone, in every stand', would be akin to me claiming that every Charlton fan, including you, supported the actions of the 7 Charlton fans that were arrested for the singing of glorifying and idolising songs about the murder of Stephen Lawrence.

• Options
    Having been involved in football policing in both domestic and European leagues UEFA aren’t the slightest bit interested in dealing with racism or any kind of intolerable behaviour by supporters. They will use token gestures and expect countries associations and police to deal with it.
    Thats fine for us, as we do try and are still trying.
    But I have seen first hand the collusion between clubs supporters, stewards and police who are quite happy for this to continue.

It will only ever change if our teams refuse to take part in matches/tournaments where there is clearly still a problem.

Can’t see that happening, any time soon.
  • Options
    Barney Ronay tried to have a go at the whiff of hypocrisy from our side, but that particular article got taken down quickly. Instead he seems to have laid the ball off to Marina Hyde who finishes with deadly Kane like precision.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/16/bulgaria-england-black-white-raheem-sterling-sofia?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
    Nobody is claiming things are perfect in the UK - it's a bit tiresome trotting out this type of article whenever there is a problem abroad. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    there are laws in the UK against abuse re race,relgion etc it is enforced ---- i have no idea if they have the same law in Bulgaria ,i doubt they do.Or maybe its there but appears low down on the legal agenda. 
  • Options

Nobody is claiming things are perfect in the UK - it's a bit tiresome trotting out this type of article whenever there is a problem abroad. 
    I think it is a good thing as we have to be alert to where we could be in danger of sanction going forwards. We may not be at risk through racist chants which is a very good thing, but we have to be careful at things that may be political too, especially if it is deemed offensive by others.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Texts from my Bulgarian buddy in Sofia this morning. Some excerpts "I apologize for our racist public and congratulations for the score" after I replied, he writes back "Thank you that you understand that Bulgarian football hooligans do not represent the rest of Bulgarians but they still bring big shame for my country"

the thing is that this buddy, not the football mad one, has nevertheless been to a Charlton game with me. It was at the old Toolbox in Feb 1992. We could hardly put a team out and gave a debut to Jermain Darlington. He hardly touched the ball, and was subbed after 70 mins. He had to walk around three quarters of the perimeter and the whole Toolbox rose to acclaim him as he passed. Everyone, in every stand, they booed him because of the colour of his skin.

I was there and I didn't rise or boo. I have no doubt that he got some unwarranted and, ultimately, disgusting stick from the stands. However your disingenuity, in claiming that it was 'everyone, in every stand', would be akin to me claiming that every Charlton fan, including you, supported the actions of the 7 Charlton fans that were arrested for the singing of glorifying and idolising songs about the murder of Stephen Lawrence.

Bully for you. If you were there, you could have no doubt. It was shocking, not because it was at the Toolbox, but that it was coming from all three sides. Even I thought - up til then - that such shit would only come from the PondLife End. The only time I have heard such a reception from all home sides of the ground for a subbed player at Charlton was when that piece of shit  Muscat was subbed trying to play against us for Wolves. 

Mind you I perhaps was technically incorrect in referring to the Toolbox, as this was, as I am sure you recall, before the time when Paphitis came along and declared Millwall to be a Family Club, only for the Spanner incident to happen a few weeks later. Coincidentally the Reading keeper on the day who was kindly donated the tool was Boris Mihailov. Yep, the same bloke who resigned this week as head of their FA. Hadn't realised that until just now, and not seen it mentioned anywhere in current coverage. Puts a slightly different shade on his comments about England pre-match....

Edit..sadly that isn't correct about Mihailov. The spanner was thrown in 1994, before he joined them. Damn. Guardian would have loved that. :-)

But its generally interesting that he played in England in the mid 90s
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    4 have been arrested - but that i would imagine is all for show. 

i was in Marseilles with the Russian ultras kicking fuck out of people for no reason and witnessed it 1st hand

people went to wc last year and wasn't a sniff of this becuase the government would not stand for there country being embarrassed. 
    Bit harsh of you to kick the f out of people for no reason alongside your Russian Ultra mates.
    Grammar police.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bully for you. If you were there, you could have no doubt. It was shocking, not because it was at the Toolbox, but that it was coming from all three sides. Even I thought - up til then - that such shit would only come from the PondLife End. The only time I have heard such a reception from all home sides of the ground for a subbed player at Charlton was when that piece of shit  Muscat was subbed trying to play against us for Wolves. 

Mind you I perhaps was technically incorrect in referring to the Toolbox, as this was, as I am sure you recall, before the time when Paphitis came along and declared Millwall to be a Family Club, only for the Spanner incident to happen a few weeks later. Coincidentally the Reading keeper on the day who was kindly donated the tool was Boris Mihailov. Yep, the same bloke who resigned this week as head of their FA. Hadn't realised that until just now, and not seen it mentioned anywhere in current coverage. Puts a slightly different shade on his comments about England pre-match....
    Hyperbole followed by a diversion.

Brilliant. You win.
  • Options

Bulgaria v England: Police arrest six following racist abuse at Euro qualifier

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50066016

• Options

Brilliant. You win.
    Now from whom could I have possibly learnt such a tactic? :-)

PS see my edit above, Mihailov wasn't the victim of the second most notorious Spanner in football (no 1 is obviously Pat van den Hauwe)
  • Options

Brilliant. You win.
    Now from whom could I have possibly learnt such a tactic? :-)

PS see my edit above, Mihailov wasn't the victim of the second most notorious Spanner in football (no 1 is obviously Pat van den Hauwe)
    I'm honoure........

Nope, not doing it. You've won.
  • Options

Brilliant. You win.
    Fallacy fallacy. Assuming that an argument is invalid because it's logically fallacious and making no other such rebuttal.

(However, I've not actually read the above, full disclaimer. So maybe the argument is invalid, but to dismiss out of hand like this is in itself an unconstructive way to go about things).
  • Options

Edit..sadly that isn't correct about Mihailov. The spanner was thrown in 1994, before he joined them. Damn. Guardian would have loved that. :-)

But its generally interesting that he played in England in the mid 90s
    The spanner incident happened 3 years before Paphtis took charge
  • Options
    If there is one person who can really make the Bulgarians get a grip, its Hristo Stoichkov - him and Mihailov ( and Kishi) were teammates at Euro 96...

• Options
    Five more Bulgarians arrested
  • Options
    Bulgaria manager has resigned
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bulgaria manager has resigned
    Good, bloke’s a disgrace
  • Options
    Have to say the way the government and Bulgarian FA has reacted....... whilst I suspect there is some pressure coming from UEFA and maybe even beyond, the response has been very decisive.
  • Options

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50212951 

Punishment as expected really.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    "Bulgaria have been ordered to play two matches behind closed doors - one suspended for two years

Bulgaria have also been fined 75,000 euros (£65,000) by Uefa."

Laughable really, especially considering they were already on a partial stadium ban for previous racist abuse.

So they have a stadium closure for a game that is meaningless anyway and get a tiny fine. Why is 1 game suspended for 2 years? Make them play their possible play off qualifier in an empty stadium too.

• Options
    Pathetic punishment but who really expected anything else?

The FA’s usual spineless response is a disgrace too.
  • Options
    Good to know that Bendtner's pants and their commercial influence are still worth a bigger fine than racism, when they are taking a hard line.

Money > all
  • Options
    And quite rightly so.  Nothing dodgy to see here!