Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Swansea City | Wednesday 3 October | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Oztumer shows that he is a gifted player but hasn't really had a great effect yet. But he needs time, he has only had  a small number of starts.
  • One shot on target if I’m not mistaken, from which we actually scored.
    Matched them all over the pitch, apart from the final third where we were virtually non existent.

No surprise really though. We only have one real quality striker and he's out for the foreseeable. Thought Bonne had a fair game but he's young and really (IMHO) isn't quite ready for the first team. I'm sure I remember reading when he first signed that the management team regarded him as 'one for the future'. Wouldn't mind betting once LT is fit he will be loaned out to a Div 1 or 2 club.
  • Only one point to make on the match.

Basically this was a Premier League team versus a League One team, but for a few months if you get my drift.... 
  • The lads left it all out there and the quality showed, especially in Celina who you can see winning Swansea games with moments of driving at defenders. 

A draw would have been fair but I'm not gutted at a loss as like others have said, this is a step up in genuine quality and play.

The way Swansea sat back to soak up pressure and defend and then had 5 minute spells of slick quick passing, was pretty impressive to watch.

Thin margins in this league and sloppy defending or not quick enough out to press a shot on goal can be punished easily. 

I was impressed with Matthews to be honest, great last ditch tackle near the end and in general looks comfortable going forward and putting a decent ball in. He hasn't played for a while and has needed the arm round the shoulder approach from Bowyer, which has served others so well.

We move the ball and switch well but we need more coordination to break through these stubborn and well drilled back lines. We look a little lost as soon as the numbers flood back, an issue found with a lack of Taylor up top.

Thought I saw more of Bonne than I have of Hemed in games so far and so hoping he keeps learning and surprises with a few goals before the year is out. 

I must say Pearce and Lockyer have been so brilliant to watch, I am gutted that Pearce isn't just a couple of years younger so we could enjoy those two in their primes at the same time. Pearce dragging their striker up was brilliant, he had been doing it a fair few times and it is always pathetic to see. 

No terrible performances in my opinion, but we came up against a very decent outfit.

Onto the next one, which has been terribly planned by TV. 
  • I was disappointed ted to lose and thought it was a shame we didn’t bring in Williams on 60 minutes, I think if we had, we might not have gone behind. Otherwise quite a decent showing by us against a strong team.

as others have said a draw would have been a good result. 
  • Swansea will I think win the league and going toe to toe with them but falling short was no disgrace. It’s certainly now very clear just how important Lyle Taylor is to this team. Without him we don’t look threatening enough and the goals are drying up. I always felt that we started in a way that we couldn’t keep up and the league table is now starting to look more in line with what we would all expect. The massive positives are that it looks to me that we are a comfortable mid table team and I think we all would have accepted that before the season.
  • Classic away performance on the night from Swansea, if you were a fan you'd be very pleased. Contained us barring the first 20, got the equaliser and basically said give it your best shot which then wasn't very much sadly for us.
    The diamond has worked well for the most part under Bows but on games when we need to seize initiative, the lack of width is a real problem, especially when both full backs cut back every opportunity and play it back to Pearce/Lockyer.
    Would like to see more 4-3-3 at some points, with both Oztumer and Williams either side of the CF, driving at opposition full backs.
    Also think that would suit our midfield- Gallagher and Cullen in particular, offers them flexibility.
    Saying that, don't think Bows is a fan of 4-3-3
  • Deserved win for the best team we've played this season.

Pressed us everywhere out of possession and moved the ball weLl in possession.

No shame in that defeat. We worked hard as usual but neither No.10 (Ozzie or Johnny) could get a grip on the game.

Hard work, organisation and guts gets you so far but we lacked that little bit more. Had a go at the end but couldn't fashion another clear chance after our early go.

I thought we missed Solly, Pratley and of course Taylor but even with them not sure we would have won. We lived with them but were 2nd best.

Still, ten games in, we're 8th, hard to beat and with players to come in.

Odd fact of the day.

The back line wore the "right" numbers: 1, 2, 3, 5 & 6
    I think the “right numbers” point is being liked by everyone over 50!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Belated PWR.

I did feel prior to the game that there might be a danger of 'after the Lord Mayor's show' with this match and a look at the scoreline in isolation would support that opinion it could be argued.

However it would be a misleading impression. We came out of the blocks firing and Leko hit a fierce shot after a couple of minutes to give us the lead. (Thanks to South Eastern / Network Rail / @MrLargo/ @cantersaddick @Len\'s_little_girl missed the goal!). Once I got her into the ground a minute or two later we enjoyed a spell of beautiful football from Charlton reminiscent of the Forest game. Unfortunately, like the Forest game, we got nothing out of that spell of dominance and Swansea came into it more and more and begun to look dangerous. They then scored from a deflected shot which took the ball beyond the diving Dillon's despairing grasp and it remained 1-1 until half time.

In the second half Swansea came out like they meant it and Dillon Phillips made a magnificent save only for Swansea to get the loose ball, cross it and slot it in. Luckily for us the lino decreed that the ball was out before the cross so the 'goal' was disallowed. However that was a big warning of what was to come as Swansea got into their stride and demonstrated why they are a top six side. We tried to compete manfully but eventually they got their second which had looked like it was coming. Again, as is typical of this team, we tried to get ourselves back in it but lacked that cutting edge and never seriously worked their goalkeeper whilst Swansea never really looked stretched despite our best efforts.

I must confess to feeling a little despondent as I thought we were worth a draw but this is an unforgiving division. Depending on whether your glass is half full or half empty we have 3 points from 2 matches aginst top six teams. Alternatively we have 3 points from 4 matches which is relegation form. Take your pick.

I cannot criticise the team as I felt they gave their all which is all I can ask. I just hope the goal difference doesn't suffer too much away at Fulham on Saturday.

COYR

• LenGlover said:
    Belated PWR.

I did feel prior to the game that there might be a danger of 'after the Lord Mayor's show' with this match and a look at the scoreline in isolation would support that opinion it could be argued.

However it would be a misleading impression. We came out of the blocks firing and Leko hit a fierce shot after a couple of minutes to give us the lead. (Thanks to South Eastern / Network Rail / @MrLargo/ @cantersaddick @Len\'s_little_girl missed the goal!). 

Some proper Mamma Mia shit going on there? ;)
  • Been very disappointed in Oztumer so far, he desperately needs something, a goal, a cracking assist to get his career going again. Indeed can't help thinking that Morgan would have been more effective
    I’d say that’s slightly harsh, it was his third start and many said how well he played in the first of those. Two games in which he wasn’t great isn’t much to go on. 

He’s not had a run of games and like many of the squad is new to this level - being a bit part player in a Parkinson team means he’s not much more experienced at this level than a lot of our squad.
  • They were clearly the fitter team, constantly pressing right up to the end. 

Great finish from Leko and a great start... Shame we couldn’t keep the tempo going. Most of our build up play and attacking movers were so slow, and easily readable. 

Purrington pissed me off tonight, couldn’t string a pass for love or money, and Ayew run riot over him all game. Wing back really is our Achilles heel. Admittedly haven’t watched the highlights but from covered end, their first goal looked really slow.. and maybe Dillon was caught flat footed? 

I did think Chuks was impressive when he came on, he was constantly moving around and won pretty much every flick on he faced.. I’d like to see him starting with Leko running in behind.
    Purrington has been playing with an injury because of our lack of squad depth. I am frankly amazed and impressed that he has managed to sustain the level he has in the circumstances against top 6 opposition.

I just hope the fact he was substituted does not mean a long lay off. Page won't be back anytime soon and even if he is he'll be gone again after a few minutes on previous form.

• Heard on TV sports programme that it was Ayew's first goal since 2016, good of us wasn't it
  • thought a draw would of been fair but they properly shaded it. Aneke i think made a difference when he came on and I think seemed to make them unformattable and looked our best bet to break a good defence. 

Bonne I thought was going to smash one in the roof of the net near the end but the ball seemed to get stuck in his feet. I like him though and offers more at present than Hemed has done to date. 

Leko I thought did some nice stuff and did well coming to get the ball and his pace does scare teams. Gallagher was brilliant for the first 20 min he is going to be a top top player. 

Still really enjoyable game and can't fault the effort and desire of this team which makes me always believe a goal was coming last night. I thought Aneke was fouled and should of been a Pen his presence does cause problems and would like to see more of him but in Bowyer i trust. 

If you would of told me we would be 8th with 17 points after 10 games I would if snapped your hand off before the season started so my glass is defiantly half full. 

• Surprised to read the criticism of Bonne. He's played two games for us as has Hemed.

I know which one I prefer on the form shown.
  • Due to Thameslink disruption, missed the opening goal. Got to my seat on 4 minutes. Thought it was a fast, direct, entertaining game. From the half hour they increasingly took control. Looked to me that they were unlucky not to be given a goal just after half time. Ayew was very good for them throughout. We scuttled about and kept going creating as we did several half chances but as with other games we didn't convert them into goals. 

I can't be critical about any of the players. It seemed to me that they all did their best. Bowyer, Jackson (and Gallen) are to be commended for building a squad that fights it way through games. But...the reality is that most other clubs at this level have stronger squads than we do. (13 out of the 24 teams in the Championship have been in the Premiership at some point in the last 10 years, and most of them have either kept many of their Premiership players or have made better use of their parachute payments than we did in 2007-2009). I think there will be a lot of results like this in 2019-2020, but we should be ok. 
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:
    Heard on TV sports programme that it was Ayew's first goal since 2016, good of us wasn't it
    It was his first goal for Swansea since 2016. Since then he's been on loan (and scored) for Weat Ham & Fenebache. Puts it into context a bit.....esp when you consider where our strikers have been playing since 2016. 
  • LenGlover said:
    They were clearly the fitter team, constantly pressing right up to the end. 

Great finish from Leko and a great start... Shame we couldn’t keep the tempo going. Most of our build up play and attacking movers were so slow, and easily readable. 

Purrington pissed me off tonight, couldn’t string a pass for love or money, and Ayew run riot over him all game. Wing back really is our Achilles heel. Admittedly haven’t watched the highlights but from covered end, their first goal looked really slow.. and maybe Dillon was caught flat footed? 

I did think Chuks was impressive when he came on, he was constantly moving around and won pretty much every flick on he faced.. I’d like to see him starting with Leko running in behind.
    Purrington has been playing with an injury because of our lack of squad depth. I am frankly amazed and impressed that he has managed to sustain the level he has in the circumstances against top 6 opposition.

I just hope the fact he was substituted does not mean a long lay off. Page won't be back anytime soon and even if he is he'll be gone again after a few minutes on previous form.

To be fair, we can't really moan about a lack of squad depth this season. We've got two in every position and you can't really ask for more than that. Some of those players could be higher quality - I'm not convinced that Bonne or Leko would have been the two Bowyer would have chosen if his budget was higher - but we do have the depth. The issue is just that Page continues to break down whenever he gets close to a return and now reliable Ben Purrington is carrying an injury that he can't rest. 
  • Scoham said:
    Been very disappointed in Oztumer so far, he desperately needs something, a goal, a cracking assist to get his career going again. Indeed can't help thinking that Morgan would have been more effective
    I’d say that’s slightly harsh, it was his third start and many said how well he played in the first of those. Two games in which he wasn’t great isn’t much to go on. 

He’s not had a run of games and like many of the squad is new to this level - being a bit part player in a Parkinson team means he’s not much more experienced at this level than a lot of our squad.
    Good against Forest, anonymous vs Brum and Swansea. He's certainly not stood out as someone to throw on from the bench to change things either.

Nor writing him off, but suggesting that he's not made the sort of early impression he'd have hoped to make.
  • stonemuse said:

https://twitter.com/frfootballed/status/1179523230685700097?s=21

I’ve been to a lot of Football Grounds in England, very nearly 100 in total.

The Valley is going straight into the 5 best I’ve ever been to.

Brilliant atmosphere from the North Stand all game, a great view from my seat, and an overall fantastic experience.

#cafc

I've been to over 80 grounds myself. 
    Totally agree with what you say.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Appreciate LB sees the players every day in training but for me Aneke must start Saturday 
    Do we want to make our first substitution after 30 minutes?

Chucks simply isn't fit enough to start unfortunately. 
  • I thought we played well, but Swansea were slightly better.
    2 decent teams.
    I'm amazed how many people scored Cullen above Gallagher.
    Gallagher was excellent.
    Cullen blew hot & cold, sometimes good, other times giving the ball away regularly.
  • Disappointed but sanguine atm. 

We have a pretty decent back 4 & a midfield that is on par with anyone else in this League. Unfortunately that is where it stops. Without Taylor our attack is mid League 1 at best. Not their fault......blame the owner. We are in a dodgy run of games atm & we'll just have to dig deep & try to pick up points where we can. 

On the negative side though......as someone posted earlier, our shots at goal tally is very poor. I think I could have played in goal for Swansea tonight. Carney at Fulham has scored FOUR goals from outside the box so far this season......I doubt we will get 4 all season. I dont give monkeys about EG & stats on where it's best to score from. Just shoot for Christ sake  !!!!

As for individual performances tonight ; I thought Gallagher , Lockyer & Field stood out, with Oztumer showing why he didnt play much for a poor Bolton side last season. He did a lot of running but very ineffectual with the ball. Thought Chuks did ok when he came on & had a decent penalty shout......not sure he did much wrong & can only think the ref blew for a high foot. 

Onto Saturday. I'll put my prediction in now - 4-0 loss. Cairny from distance & at least one from Mitrovic.
    Our midfield isn't on a par with anyone in this league, which is one of the reasons we have had the fewest shots.
    A bigger reason being that we only have one good striker and he's not fit.