Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Swansea City | Wednesday 3 October | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Started really brightly playing good football but gradually Swansea came into the game and were very slick in there passing and movement.

Don't get the criticism for Matthews showed promise and was up against a very good winger, will be a good addition once fully fit.

Pen for Aneke looked it to me?

Our main problem is that neither of Taylor replacements TH or MB have his movement so need to play a different way which I'm not sure we can.

Still I take the positives i expected very little from the 2 home games we got 3 and we still play some fantastic football in spells so its a mile away from losing to Oxford
  • Valiant effort against the best Championship team I have seen this season left some of our players literally on their knees at the finish .. we obviously need more slickness and penetration in attack and to sharpen up our defence from set pieces ..
     even so, the Leeds win has kept us near the top and should we lose at Fulham, that still means 3 points from games against probably the 3 best outfits in the League .. bit skewed but you no wot I meen
  • There were a lot of misplaced passes in the middle of the pitch last night which invariably meant Swansea kept the initiative. We battled hard but the goal from the corner was simply down to switching off.

Swansea were far more comfortable on the ball than us and were simply better technically. I remain unimpressed by Oztumer.
  • Agree about Oztumer - looks a bit lightweight.

Swansea were very good, so its Fulham next.

COYR!!!!
  • McCauley Bonne is just another Chris dickson, the gamble on him performing in the championship has backfired.
    Blimey he has only been here 5 minutes and was not expected to feature in the first time yet! Give him a chance.
  • Thought we were pretty good but looked knackered.

Long ball game doesn't suit any of the forward players we've got. Quick passes between the likes of Field, Cullen and Gallagher to create space are much more likely to create the kind of chances Taylor/Bonne/Aneke/Leko like - see the first 15 mins last night, and the first 45 mins against Forest.

In both cases the opposition improved their pressing game as time went on - think we need to get better at sticking to our quick passing game when that happens. We have technically gifted midfielders that are capable of doing it...
  • Thought a draw would've been a fair result, could've and should've had a penalty. Thought Aneke was a serious handful tonight would like to see him start against Fulham. Tonight was basically a free-hit after the Leeds win, we could've drawn both games and got 2 points rather than 3. We go again Saturday
  • Simonsen said:
    Disappointed as I hate losing but Swansea were just that bit better than us across the park. Not as impressive as Leeds or even Brentford in their offensive play, but what they did do was show us respect and worked incredibly hard to negate our play. In possession we were pressed all over the pitch and never got time on the ball.

Don’t really see why people need to ‘jump on negativity’ in their replies, if you read the whole thread it’s noticeable just how balanced the vast majority of views are. If you want negative, you should have checked out the Leeds site on saturday where they were actually wishing death on their own players.

we’ll keep saying it in these type of games we don’t win, but we really do miss Taylor. For 89+5 minutes we just didn’t have enough attacking to trouble a very well organised defence. Bonne will clearly put a shift in but he doesn’t seem to have much of a striker element to his game so far. I can’t remember seeing him have a created chance yet in two home games. 

Matthews for a debut and following a lay off I thought down well. Purrington whether carrying an injury or not I’m not convinced has made the step up as well as others. Lockyer continues to impress me and I think is an upgrade on Bauer.  

No one has mentioned it but I really thought Aneke deserved a pen. From a side view he done a great job getting a toe in and then got wiped out. No idea what the foul against him was for.

Christ knows what possesses some to boo at the final. Well played those in the North Upper that sung them off at the end. 
    Maybe the boos were for the ref? (I thought he was ok).

Post-Leeds, LB talked about Bonne and snap-decision making. An example was 1st half last night, he did brilliantly to kill a high ball and tried to thread a pass through to Leko. The better decision may have been to take an early shot across the keeper....be a bit more selfish.

I was impressed with Matthews. He looked balanced in terms of being able to defend one on one and play neat, tidy football. I liked the look of his delivery from wide and he might supply some good ammunition for Taylor/Hemed. The last ditch recovery tackle in the 93rd minute was a Rod Fanni special. 

Lockyer is certainly more mobile than Bauer (better in one on ones) but maybe his weakness is not being able to dominate defending corners. Overall, he continues to impress and is in the mold of say, Chris Perry. 

Maybe the time has come for Aneke to be given a start. 

An ok game, without too much penalty box action. Swansea are a really good side and there was no disgrace losing a tight game to them. There were still many positives. 
    The last ditch tackle Matthews made was pretty impressive. He had a very busy game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Simonsen said:
    Disappointed as I hate losing but Swansea were just that bit better than us across the park. Not as impressive as Leeds or even Brentford in their offensive play, but what they did do was show us respect and worked incredibly hard to negate our play. In possession we were pressed all over the pitch and never got time on the ball.

Don’t really see why people need to ‘jump on negativity’ in their replies, if you read the whole thread it’s noticeable just how balanced the vast majority of views are. If you want negative, you should have checked out the Leeds site on saturday where they were actually wishing death on their own players.

we’ll keep saying it in these type of games we don’t win, but we really do miss Taylor. For 89+5 minutes we just didn’t have enough attacking to trouble a very well organised defence. Bonne will clearly put a shift in but he doesn’t seem to have much of a striker element to his game so far. I can’t remember seeing him have a created chance yet in two home games. 

Matthews for a debut and following a lay off I thought down well. Purrington whether carrying an injury or not I’m not convinced has made the step up as well as others. Lockyer continues to impress me and I think is an upgrade on Bauer.  

No one has mentioned it but I really thought Aneke deserved a pen. From a side view he done a great job getting a toe in and then got wiped out. No idea what the foul against him was for.

Christ knows what possesses some to boo at the final. Well played those in the North Upper that sung them off at the end. 

Post-Leeds, LB talked about Bonne and snap-decision making. An example was 1st half last night, he did brilliantly to kill a high ball and tried to thread a pass through to Leko. The better decision may have been to take an early shot across the keeper....be a bit more selfish.

I was impressed with Matthews. He looked balanced in terms of being able to defend one on one and play neat, tidy football. I liked the look of his delivery from wide and he might supply some good ammunition for Taylor/Hemed. The last ditch recovery tackle in the 93rd minute was a Rod Fanni special. 

Lockyer is certainly more mobile than Bauer (better in one on ones) but maybe his weakness is not being able to dominate defending corners. Overall, he continues to impress and is in the mold of say, Chris Perry. 

An ok game, without too much penalty box action. Swansea are a really good side and there was no disgrace losing a tight game to them. There were still many positives. 
    The last ditch tackle Matthews made was pretty impressive. He had a very busy game.
    Thought it was a good debut considering he hasn't played competitively for a while. Read a comment about him being turned easily a couple of times but to me that was just quality skill by Celina. 
  • Really disappointed with Oztumer after that excellent display against Forest. Seems a bit of a passenger and didn't show enough for the ball for me. 
  • Simonsen said:

Had forgotten about that... Was absolute class

Especially as it looked as though he'd been beaten for pac
  • Swansea - good organised side who pinged the ball about well and kept possession well - will be up there at end of season - their left winger (Celina ?) looks like he will be some player in the future

We huffed and puffed a bit - ball retention was poor - quite a few stray passes - Cullen and Gallagher were a bit overrun in midfield

When Williams and Aneke came on we looked more threatening - going long ball was right call and we created some half chances, however I didn't think we would get the equaliser

My concern is that we don't sustain attacks - we get in a good position, nothing comes of it, but we don't then retain possession and press again - we are lacking quality up top, and that needs some surgery in the transfer window so that we hopefully retain Taylor and he also has a better quality partner alongside him - a cutting edge

That said, to be honest, at start of season if someone said we would get 3 points from the home matches against Leeds and Swansea, I would be happy with that

Importantly, against the top teams we have held our own, and I don't see us as relegation fodder - what would be good though is to put some of the lower teams to the sword handsomely at The Valley when they visit - that will boost confidence

• My views on some of the points raised on here.....

I think Chuks had his foot raised before being brought down by their player. Ref bottled it & took the easy option rather than give a pen.

Only booing I heard was directed at the ref as the officials approached the tunnel. A good minute after the end of the match & obvious to whom it was aimed at.

Purrington cant cross. I realise he is a defender first & foremost & I'm not expecting Beckham-like deliveries......but he invariably doesnt try to take on the defender & passes it back inside to Gallagher, Cullen etc. Certainly no Rhoys Wiggins. 
    This is exactly right - no way did Chuks foul the player, but ref took the easy option as if he didn't give the foul he would have had to give a pen. Purrington played with an injury - good on him.
  • Swansea - good organised side who pinged the ball about well and kept possession well - will be up there at end of season - their left winger (Celina ?) looks like he will be some player in the future

We huffed and puffed a bit - ball retention was poor - quite a few stray passes - Cullen and Gallagher were a bit overrun in midfield

When Williams and Aneke came on we looked more threatening - going long ball was right call and we created some half chances, however I didn't think we would get the equaliser

My concern is that we don't sustain attacks - we get in a good position, nothing comes of it, but we don't then retain possession and press again - we are lacking quality up top, and that needs some surgery in the transfer window so that we hopefully retain Taylor and he also has a better quality partner alongside him - a cutting edge

That said, to be honest, at start of season if someone said we would get 3 points from the home matches against Leeds and Swansea, I would be happy with that

Importantly, against the top teams we have held our own, and I don't see us as relegation fodder - what would be good though is to put some of the lower teams to the sword handsomely at The Valley when they visit - that will boost confidence

I can't see any really poor sides so far so it seems unlikely there will be any easy games. 
  • With Taylor on crutches I think we have a very serious problem up front which is not going away in a hurry.

I wonder if there are decent strikers out of contract that we could sign? I do not see Bonne flourishing if he has to play every game, he is obviously not ready for that. Aneke cannot run ten yards without puffing and Leko is good but not a 90m player. Hemed is not fit and probably not the right player for our system. With the tough run of games continuing into December we could be in a downward spiral very quickly, it is already 3 defeats in 4.

Time to look around for somebody else, maybe an older player who can play every other game at least.

I can't see any really poor sides so far so it seems unlikely there will be any easy games. 
    Not suggesting 'poor' or that there will be easy games - just the sides down the bottom, low on confidence etc - Stoke are a good example, should not be down there on paper, however their confidence must be shot at the moment 
  • I thought that was the best Field had played. My motm
  • Southbank said:
    With Taylor on crutches I think we have a very serious problem up front which is not going away in a hurry.

I wonder if there are decent strikers out of contract that we could sign? I do not see Bonne flourishing if he has to play every game, he is obviously not ready for that. Aneke cannot run ten yards without puffing and Leko is good but not a 90m player. Hemed is not fit and probably not the right player for our system. With the tough run of games continuing into December we could be in a downward spiral very quickly, it is already 3 defeats in 4.

Time to look around for somebody else, maybe an older player who can play every other game at least.
    The decent ones are not out of contract. We have to get Hemed fit and slot Aneke in so he gets more minutes and do the best we can from there.
  • Sponsored links:

• https://youtu.be/kAow5u4cV70

Extended highlights
    Wicked deflection for their first goal. Although Leko's was also helped in by a Swansea player too.
  • I do think we have serious problems as we have nobody that can hold the ball up at the front with Taylor out . We  are now trying to play every ball out from Phillips but as a number of managers have come out and said , that unless you are Man City you will never score a goal by keeping rolling it out to your centrehalfs
    How much better was we in the last 15 minutes when we went long and even if we did not win the header we have very fast players like Williams and Gallagher who win second ball and then we are playing in the top third of the pitch. 
    Lets hope we start playing it a bit longer as we dont have the the front players to hold the ball up without support , but  when you play it longer from the keeper, we have midfield players that have pushed further up the field.   
  • Croydon said:
    I thought we were poor. Gave the ball away so many times in midfield, lost almost every 50/50 and looked completely devoid of ideas up top. We looked tired and hopefully that’s what it was.

3 point return from Leeds and Swansea is great, let’s hopefully we can nick something at Fulham. 
    Being beaten by a better team with better players does not equate with us being poor.  Swansea gave the ball away in midfield as many times as we did.  We won a fair number of battles in midfield and what might be called 50/50s were often Premier League standard players shielding the ball taking it on the half turn and passing round the corner in one move.

Our performance would have given us a decent chance of beating a fair few teams in this division, I'm not dispondent. 
  • They were clearly the fitter team, constantly pressing right up to the end. 

Great finish from Leko and a great start... Shame we couldn’t keep the tempo going. Most of our build up play and attacking movers were so slow, and easily readable. 

Purrington pissed me off tonight, couldn’t string a pass for love or money, and Ayew run riot over him all game. Wing back really is our Achilles heel. Admittedly haven’t watched the highlights but from covered end, their first goal looked really slow.. and maybe Dillon was caught flat footed? 

I did think Chuks was impressive when he came on, he was constantly moving around and won pretty much every flick on he faced.. I’d like to see him starting with Leko running in behind.
    In hindsight, I wonder whether Purrington should really have started last night given Bowyer has been saying that he has been playing with an injury (calf strain) for a few games and essentially couldn't rest him because Lewis Page is still injured. Purrington looked a bit off the pace on Saturday against Leeds and certainly looked the same last night before he came off injured with what I understand is a groin strain to add to his calf strain.

I guess Sarr could have started at left back, but am not sure he would have coped with Ayew pace either.
  • I think Swansea will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. The left winger was particularly good, dare I say, premiership class. But we didn’t disgrace ourselves. Just didn’t have enough in the final third to overly trouble them. Might have nicked a draw at the end but I think they deserved the win. 
  • On balance Swansea were the better team...bowyer can only play with the hand he is dealt but I thought we got our tactics wrong..the game was played at 100 mph and whilst it may have looked exciting it wore us down and told in the 2nd half when Gallagher and Cullen faded a little..we did look tired and the punts upfield to bonne looked a bit predictable and naive ..can't fault our effort and Swansea are a good side ..they are def top 6 material..it's not in Lbs make up but I can't help thinking we could have got a draw from this if we would have been a bit more cagey/street wise 

Roland out 
  • Not downhearted. This time having a decent team costing millions all over the place were able to overcome our effort and willpower.
    Crucial that the players and coaches stay positive.
  • Bonne and Leko both work hard but not on the same wavelength at all which made us toothless in the final third. Thought Oztumer was very poor and surprised he didn't get hooked earlier (hopefully will improve with game time as there is a cracking player in there). That said I didn't think we played too badly but came up short against a side with more quality in the attacking third. Leko's decision making needs work as we know but would like to see how he does up top with Mount Chuks.  Positives for me were Gallagher again being to brave on the ball and wanting possession and a decent debut from Matthews.