Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Swansea City | Wednesday 3 October | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    It was a fair result because they scored 2 and we scored one. 

I hate it when we score so early... We always seem to lose after.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    McCauley Bonne is just another Chris dickson, the gamble on him performing in the championship has backfired.
    It's his second start at this level.
  • Options
    Given how we play without Taylor we need to ensure we keep him for at least the rest of the season.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    se9addick said:
    Bonne getting slated is absolutely ridiculous.
    Anyone getting slated tonight is ridiculous

All put in as best a performance as they each could and agree with Bowyer that each player gave 100% which is all we can ask

Funnily the one fault of Bonne which no one seems to have mentioned was his terrible air kick late on (seemed to jump twice over the ball), was unfortunately a great opportunity to equalise but meh! these things happen

Swansea definitely the better team - Did they deserve to win - Yes because they scored more goals than us; did we deserve a draw... Yes I think our performance merited a point as we were a threat at times as occasionally we looked like we'd put out a similar display to the one against Forest (their goal stopped that happening), sadly just couldnt break through against a strong team
    Sometimes you have to admit that we played a team.that was better than us.  There's no shame in that as long as you try your hardest. 
    Sums up what I was going to write, having watched the match on TV.   
  • Options
    McCauley Bonne is just another Chris dickson, the gamble on him performing in the championship has backfired.
    You joined this site a few days ago just to post that ?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    No shame in losing to a very slick Swansea side. Thought Matthews did pretty well against a very good winger,not many better than their number 10 in this league. Ayew caused us problems all night. Love,love,love Lockyer,getting better and better. Frustrating how many times we gave the ball away last night,mainly by faffing around with it at the back. Purringtons final ball in was awful last night,had some really good openings to put a decent cross in and i cant remember too many but he's not the only guilty one. 
    I sit in the nwq and for the life of me,i couldnt see how the ref didnt give us a penalty for the foul on Chuks. Their defender bounced off him,fell over,dragged Aneke down and the ref gives a free kick? Maybe i missed something as obviously we only see it once in the ground and i stand to be corrected if anyone had a better view of it. Overall,cant be disappointed to have 3 points from those 2 games. On to Saturday although i fear our tiredness could be our downfall. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    We were excellent for the first ten minutes, and the last 15 minutes. It was the bit in the middle that was the problem.
    Swansea were excellent during that time, constantly harrying us when we had the ball, passing around us when we didn't, winning every header, running at us with pace.
    Having said that, they were lucky with the equaliser which wasn't well struck and which took a big deflection, and, apart from the winner and a near post block,Phillips wasn't really troubled.
    I think a draw would have been a fair result in the end.
    The Premier League ref was poor. Gallagher in particular received a harsh yellow when he'd only slid in to block the clearance, and the defender reacted like he'd been shot. Clear case of conning the ref. The defender who through himself to the deck clutching his head in order to waste time (when Pearce tried to pick him up) should receive a retrospective ban.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    You didn't miss anything, Chuks was first to the falling ball their CB wasn't near it when he fell over taking Chuks out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last night was a lesson in how not to pass or cross the ball to your own player from Charlton. That played Swansea into the game.
  • Options
    Thought Chuks' foot was high and that he brought the defender down then fell over him. No pen imo. Watching online.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    We were excellent for the first ten minutes, and the last 15 minutes. It was the bit in the middle that was the problem.
    Swansea were excellent during that time, constantly harrying us when we had the ball, passing around us when we didn't, winning every header, running at us with pace.
    Having said that, they were lucky with the equaliser which wasn't well struck and which took a big deflection, and, apart from the winner and a near post block,Phillips wasn't really troubled.
    The Premier League ref was poor. Gallagher in particular received a harsh red when he'd only slid in to block the clearance, and the defender reacted like he'd been shot. Clear case of conning the ref. The defender who through himself to the deck clutching his head in order to waste time (when Pearce tried to pick him up) should receive a retrospective ban.
     Gallagher didn't get sent off?
  • Options
    You joined here on 29th September, the gamble on you writing good posts has backfired.
  • Options
    Welcome to Charlton Life
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Disappointed as I hate losing but Swansea were just that bit better than us across the park. Not as impressive as Leeds or even Brentford in their offensive play, but what they did do was show us respect and worked incredibly hard to negate our play. In possession we were pressed all over the pitch and never got time on the ball.

Don’t really see why people need to ‘jump on negativity’ in their replies, if you read the whole thread it’s noticeable just how balanced the vast majority of views are. If you want negative, you should have checked out the Leeds site on saturday where they were actually wishing death on their own players.

we’ll keep saying it in these type of games we don’t win, but we really do miss Taylor. For 89+5 minutes we just didn’t have enough attacking to trouble a very well organised defence. Bonne will clearly put a shift in but he doesn’t seem to have much of a striker element to his game so far. I can’t remember seeing him have a created chance yet in two home games. 

Matthews for a debut and following a lay off I thought down well. Purrington whether carrying an injury or not I’m not convinced has made the step up as well as others. Lockyer continues to impress me and I think is an upgrade on Bauer.  

No one has mentioned it but I really thought Aneke deserved a pen. From a side view he done a great job getting a toe in and then got wiped out. No idea what the foul against him was for.

Christ knows what possesses some to boo at the final. Well played those in the North Upper that sung them off at the end. 
    That's the game I watched, bang on the money 👍.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    You joined here on 29th September, the gamble on you writing good posts has backfired.
     It's only his first start in this league, let's not write him off just yet.
  • Options
    15,741 seems a big drop after 21,808 v Leeds but is probably a truer reflection of our core support.

Nearly 16k midweek with a medium sized away support and the game on TV is decent.  
  • Options
    15,741 seems a big drop after 21,808 v Leeds but is probably a truer reflection of our core support.

Nearly 16k midweek with a medium sized away support and the game on TV is decent.  
    The true attendance will be a lot lower than that though. There were a lot of midweek no shows and from the Trust 500 there were only what seemed around 30-50 tickets taken
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    The Premier League ref was poor. Gallagher in particular received a harsh red when he'd only slid in to block the clearance, and the defender reacted like he'd been shot. Clear case of conning the ref. The defender who through himself to the deck clutching his head in order to waste time (when Pearce tried to pick him up) should receive a retrospective ban.
     Gallagher didn't get sent off?
    Yellow, I said yellow!  ;-)
  • Options
    It was an even game but we are a bit toothless without Taylor. I thought we looked more dangerous when Aneke come on and we should have had a penalty. What infuriates me, and I know we are just as bad as other teams in this respect, is the game management. Why do refs never cover the time lost? If they did, players wouldn't do it and it detracts from what should be an exciting part of the game.
  • Options
    First time I've really felt that Bow didn't have the answer tactically. Hands were slightly tied by the options on the bench. But felt he was unable to have the positive impact on the game he usually does when needed. 

Shows how good Swansea were.
  • Options
    First time I've really felt that Bow didn't have the answer tactically. Hands were slightly tied by the options on the bench. But felt he was unable to have the positive impact on the game he usually does when needed. 

Shows how good Swansea were.
    Personally think Aneke changed the game when he came on.
  • Options
    Dhanda might've scored a crucial goal for Swansea tonight...

... but how big is his Dhanda?  ;)
    What does that even mean ?
  • Options
    My views on some of the points raised on here.....

I think Chuks had his foot raised before being brought down by their player. Ref bottled it & took the easy option rather than give a pen.

Only booing I heard was directed at the ref as the officials approached the tunnel. A good minute after the end of the match & obvious to whom it was aimed at.

Purrington cant cross. I realise he is a defender first & foremost & I'm not expecting Beckham-like deliveries......but he invariably doesnt try to take on the defender & passes it back inside to Gallagher, Cullen etc. Certainly no Rhoys Wiggins. 
  • Options
    Agree with other posters that JFC had a good cameo and helped in a period of pressure where on another day the ball would have fallen for us and we equalise.
    Very amused at Baston and his miracle recovery. Love to know what Pearce said or did to anger him. Remember that is a £15m striker we were up against and we did ok.
    Always thought feigning injury/time wasting was a bookable offence.  His reaction to Pearce was then very aggressive and also a bookable offence.  Refs let players get away with time wasting far too much (not picking out Swansea, we are masters of it) and should stamp down on it.
  • Options
    Swansea are a very good side,had this not been against us,I would have enjoyed their performance.Having said that ,we were by no means disgraced,we had plenty of the ball,but just did not have the experience at this level to break them down.
    They also only scored with a deflection and from a set piece(Our 3rd goal from corners out of the last four.)We are never going to out pass these teams,and ,much as it goes against the way Bowyer wants to play,the long ball should be used more often.We also need to shoot more,anywhere 20-25 yds out,give it a go.There is really no need to be too down after  a defeat like this,players are giving their all,and against many of the lesser teams to come they will get results.It is obvious how much the players care about this club,they looked totally distraught at the final whistle.IMO no penalty,Aneke was penalised for high boot before he was bundled over.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Not so sure about this 'lesser teams' theory, didn't Birmingham and Wigan fall into this category. Just saying like 😮.