Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Valley Atmosphere

124»

Comments

• The atmosphere for that Palace game was undermined somewhat for me by the constant use of that bloody Amarillo song which whilst vaguely amusing sung once, constantly repeated made it feel like an OAPs disco at the bingo hall rather than an intense local derby. Atmosphere that day not remotely comparable to donnies, Ipswich and even some other big home games over the years IMO
  • Play off semi v donny the best ever - hopefully more to come 
  • The atmosphere for that Palace game was undermined somewhat for me by the constant use of that bloody Amarillo song which whilst vaguely amusing sung once, constantly repeated made it feel like an OAPs disco at the bingo hall rather than an intense local derby. Atmosphere that day not remotely comparable to donnies, Ipswich and even some other big home games over the years IMO

It was the theme song of the day 'We sent the Palace down'. 
    Best Charlton one off chant ever
  • Slightly off topic to the thread title but since Bowyer took over things have changed.

We’re no longer the Charlton who concede in the 90th minute. We’re no longer the Charlton who lose games that we deserve to win (in fact we do the opposites). We’re no longer the Charlton who bottle it on big occasions. We’re no longer the Charlton who have players that don’t care about the club, instead they put their body on the line for the shirt.

The support has reacted to all of this. Hence why The Valley is electric, and even our away support is getting praised by opposing fans. This is mainly down to the way Bowyer, Jacko and co. have got us playing imo.

Long may it continue
    Top post, that's the key to it for me, because it reflects how I feel now, despite not having been to the Valley this year -yet. Suddenly I'm signed up to Valley Pass for the season and when people ask me whom I support, I don't follow the answer "Charlton" with some kind of sheepish explanation, but with considerable pride. Most Czechs know that the Championship is a strong league, as they have full internationals who play in it. And of course my neighbour, who fancies himself as a bit of a retired Ultra, knows the score now, because he came with me to Wembley. I think he was a bit sceptical before the game, but when the teams came out to that rhythmic drumming music they played, I saw his attitude change. It really was the gladiatorial English football experience which is legendary across Europe but which you don't actually get as a footie tourist at the Emirates. I'm still gutted I missed Doncaster, it looked and sounded absolutely epic, and I'm surprised if people say Ipswich 98 (which I was at) was better. 

I'll be there for Derby, can't wait, and BTW when I bought my tickets yesterday the entire row where I normally sit was already sold, bar about five seats, fortunately including the two I wanted. 

During the game we were singing let's send the palarse down.
    Then after we changed to we sent the palarse down.
    Absolutely brilliant. 
    You must be the only Charlton fan there who didn't enjoy that.
    Didn't say I didn't enjoy it, I enjoyed it very much and loved the night out afterwards winding my Palace mate up with it. 

Point I'm making though is that the atmosphere that day was carnival-like and not remotely comparable to some of the other games where there has been non-stop noise for the entire 90 minutes, people all around the ground stood up, and the feeling like the crowd were almost on the pitch desperately trying to suck the ball into the net and just creating a far more intense atmosphere. The 4-0 game at home to West Ham I seem to recall for most of the first half hour our fans were booing the entire time their players were on the ball to try and harass them into conceding possession. 

I actually thought the atmosphere at the Valley for the 2-0 Friday night game against Palace was far better than the sending them down game, because there was a lot riding on it for both teams and bragging rights rather than just us enjoying taking the piss out of them.
    Absolutely brilliant. 
    100% Rambo.

The Rommedahl last minute at Sainsburys was the most mental for celebrations as well, aside from the 2 play-off finals.

We went into the Wspoons by the clock tower after, we had a nice time.

Posting this I'm singing "Dennis, in the last minute".
    Absolutely brilliant. 
    100% Rambo.

The Rommedahl last minute at Sainsburys was the most mental for celebrations as well, aside from the 2 play-off finals.

2 play off finals hmmmm

glory boy alert 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2019
    Agreed. The air at the valley is special at the moment and its electric. Best I can remember.

For me, still the most I have still ever lost my sh** was when Jackson headed that last min goal in from a corner against QPR when we won 1-0. Closely followed by Pratleys equalizer against Doncaster in the playoffs.
    Absolutely brilliant. 
    100% Rambo.

Agreed
    Then to be told we had to stay behind after the game - what a touch !