Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Valley Atmosphere

Comments

• Long may it continue!
  • @ AKFA.
    Appears i have an issue quoting your post.
    You wasn't far off the mark, two games actually :-)
    Referencing that lot up the road probably wasn't my finest moment. 
    That was the Sunday afternoon Whitstable Bays taking over.
    However, when you look to the east/west and see synchronised clapping, it all appears a little orchestrated rather than sporadic.
    I guess i am coming across as a right miserable bastard, but it just sounds like every other game you tend to watch on TV, give or take.
    I guess if you sit in the east/west you get a better take on noise generated.

• Don't go much now as i live abroad but the atmosphere at that Ipswich play off semi final was the best i've known down there.

Apart from the premier league years and memorable games like the Lisbie hat trick v Liverpool, the 4-2 v Chelsea, 3-3 v Man Utd and the game that sent Palace down, i think one that sticks out for me was the Friday night 2-0 win v Palace when Varney scored. Great atmosphere that night, helped by the fact that half the stadium seemed to have been on the piss since lunchtime.
  • golfaddick said:ll
    Any team with a home record like we have had in recent times would be rocking 

Let’s see how good the atmosphere is when we’ve lost 6 on the bounce,  that’s when the real test will be as to how good the atmosphere is these days 
    I never know when you are bring serious or tongue in cheek. However, I can't see a LB managed team losing 6 on the trot. 
    I could see us losing five on the trot ..... and then we beat Leeds
  • Don't go much now as i live abroad but the atmosphere at that Ipswich play off semi final was the best i've known down there.

Apart from the premier league years and memorable games like the Lisbie hat trick v Liverpool, the 4-2 v Chelsea, 3-3 v Man Utd and the game that sent Palace down, i think one that sticks out for me was the Friday night 2-0 win v Palace when Varney scored. Great atmosphere that night, helped by the fact that half the stadium seemed to have been on the piss since lunchtime.
    Has Sidcup moved overseas ?!
  • edited September 2019
    Don't go much now as i live abroad but the atmosphere at that Ipswich play off semi final was the best i've known down there.

Has Sidcup moved overseas ?!
    Talking of which haven't seen Leeds_Addick posting of late 😉.
  • I said at the time that the Donny play-off match was the best I'd experienced in 40+ years of support, though agree it was also brilliant for the 98 Ipswich play-off and the Prem relegation match v Spurs - even when Defoe broke through and scored in front of the Covered End we just carried on singing VFR.

Agree with whoever mentioned last season's Accrington game too. I sit near the front of NU and the stand was physically bouncing from the time of the Taylor incident through the penalty to after the final whistle.

Had a great sing-song on Saturday too.
  • Go for it weegie
  • edited September 2019
    I must have been dreaming sat
    As I thought the valley was full and rocking
    But not according to the football league paper att 15,319 -3100 Leeds just over 12000 
    The muppets
  • For once I can't wait to play Millwall, there is no way a Bowyer side will roll over and be bullied like we usually let happen
  • Sponsored links:

• For once I can't wait to play Millwall, there is no way a Bowyer side will roll over and be bullied like we usually let happen
    Agree, my only concern is that Millwall are a high tempo physical very tall team - a game for Naby and Jason at the back.
  • Feel this is the year we take 6 points from millwall so we have none of that 'mission accomplished 'buls**t on the screens at the station 
  • I suppose LT wont be fit for the Millwall game?

A magnificent evening!
  • To quote bielsa, if the fans can give the players even 1cm extra that can make the difference to win the game. 

Think how we feel when the notice builds, players feel the same 
  • The protests are well and truly over :wink:

The atmosphere has been brilliant recently, hope it continues 
  • For me the atmosphere seemed to change when we played Blackburn not long after Bowyer took over, was a real backs against the wall, defend the one goal lead and still possibly make the play offs or concede and miss out.
  • Was that when Page scored that early goal?

yeah, good call that Chef

Nah. That was Bowyer's first game in charge, against Plymouth. Even then, there was a marked difference in atmosphere as I think the crowd could sense the players had bought into Bowyer straight away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Any team with a home record like we have had in recent times would be rocking 

Let’s see how good the atmosphere is when we’ve lost 6 on the bounce,  that’s when the real test will be as to how good the atmosphere is these days 
    That's just not true, why do you have to be so miserable all  the time.
  • I’m not talking about the big teams who win all the time but any club similar to us with the brilliant run and promotion we have had would be buzzing .
    and I’m saying let’s see how good it is when it isn’t so rosey that’s the real litmus test .

If that’s miserable , I’m sorry 

• Even from afar it is clear how much of buzz is going on at the Valley... it's feels like a golden time... and even the manner of our wins, fight, push, sweat so tense... Absolutely LOVE it 
  • So 'any' team means any team, apart from those that don't do it.

Cheer up and enjoy the good times, they won't last forever.
  • I’m not talking about the big teams who win all the time but any club similar to us with the brilliant run and promotion we have had would be buzzing .
    and I’m saying let’s see how good it is when it isn’t so rosey that’s the real litmus test .

If that’s miserable , I’m sorry 

We know what it is like when it isn't so rosey. Look before Bowyer took over. That's what it is like if you have forgotten.

Nah. That was Bowyer's first game in charge, against Plymouth. Even then, there was a marked difference in atmosphere as I think the crowd could sense the players had bought into Bowyer straight away.
    Not sure anyone could sense the players had bought into Bowyer before they’d played a game! I think that game there was just a huge relief to be rid of that fat Scouse gobshite combined with a desire to show clear support for two Charlton boys in the dugout, something that had been painfully lacking since the day CP left and much complained out.
  • I mentioned this on the West Brom ticket thread and despite being about away games, I think the general message also applies here:

“Yes, ironically the prem years killed the away support imo as it was diluted and eventually dominated in my view by the supporters clubs that had large numbers of less committed/passionate supporters. 

I used to watch Maidstone a lot too and would see young kids and old men standing on the terraces having a great time, irrespective of the action on the pitch. The same kids at Charlton would be sat watching as if in a theatre often. Kids /teenagers want to stand and have fun, be a bit naughty, let off steam etc. It was too reserved and then internally policed to stay that way. There would be boisterous groups at times but they were the minority and eventually toned down or thrown out if they didn’t comply with the status quo.

Over the last few years the number of boisterous, younger supporters has increased, perhaps aided by affordable, lower league football, ownership issues and the Bowyer affect, and just recently a tipping point has been achieved where they outnumber the former and what you see is stood up away ends, more noise and better support. It’s being noted most places we go. The impossible has been achieved.”
    All valid points. 
  • stonemuse said:
    clb74 said:
    I must of been the only one at the cardiff 5-4 home game
    That was one of the loudest games ever at the Valley 
    I'll settle for the '98 Ipswich play-off semi.
  • This this is the best consistent atmosphere, ever. It seems like everybody in the North, East and West seems to be joining in. The only times that has happened has been the two Chrissy Powell chants (Spurs, the PL relegation year when play stopped for about 10 minutes or so and we filled the gap; and the Cardiff game when we hadn’t won for 10 games, were 2-0 down after about 10 minutes and SCP was probably facing the sack) and the ‘we sent the Palace down’ game. There have been noisy seasons but not where it’s been this consistent throughout the game - 68/69 comes to mind for instance when the Covered End hit that level when you know it’s LOUD - standing in he CE then and bigger crowds that season but it was only the CE where the chanting would come from. One thing that also used to happen back then as well is the atmosphere would start to build around 20 minutes before the game.
    Nothing will beat the last 7 minutes of the palice relegation game, Ipswich aside.