Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Valley Atmosphere

Comments

• edited September 2019
    Yes, but not in recent years.

In terms of comparing the Valley with the Old Den - I have been to the Old Den and I think you are so far off the mark it is unreal. It did have an atmosphere but a nasty one. Ours is inspiring and uplifting. Doncaster fans actually enjoyed it. I know that because some told me that after the game when I wished them well next season.
  • Croydon said:
    Going to get shit on for this, but I am afraid I disagree.
    It appears to me that what is sung at Charlton is pretty much the same as many other grounds, give or take.
    Maybe I am getting old, but some of the songs that were sung in the old covered end were songs that were not repeated throughout other clubs.
    As for best atmosphere, anyone who tells me that listening to the monks chant or a packed old den can be replicated at Charlton had never visited New Cross.
    Had some great atmospheres at Charlton (usually night games), but occasion against occasion, that lot down the road take some beating regarding atmosphere.

Who's cares about the old den? We're comparing the Valley to the Valley. AFKA hasn't opened this thread saying we're the loudest fans in the country, it's merely a comparison to how we were a few years ago.

And, for what it's worth, atmosphere at the new den is dead.
    Regarding the atmosphere at the new den, although I have only been once (against us), I agree.
    regarding us now against years ago, I would have a old covered end all day long.
    quality over quantity
  • Doncaster was indeed a special night but for me nothing will ever beat the atmosphere at the Ipswich play-off game in 1998. That really was something that will live with me for ever.

What I will say is that the Allez Allez Allez chant is probably the most catchy chant I have ever heard at the Valley. It just gets everyone going. Long may it be sung. 

Generally, Exiled Addick has nailed it above. There's been loads of matches down the years (particularly night games) where the Valley has been rocking. But I agree it’s the consistency of atmosphere that seems to be different these days.
  • For me. Best Atmospheres at Valley. Charlton v Cardiff 5-4, 1st game back v pompey. opening new stand (southend?). Ipswich 98, Doncaster last season, Bowyer (from when he took over to present). 
  • Rudders22 said:
    For me. Best Atmospheres at Valley. Charlton v Cardiff 5-4, 1st game back v pompey. opening new stand (southend?). Ipswich 98, Doncaster last season, Bowyer (from when he took over to present). 
    First game back I think people are being far too governed by sentiment. It was a great occasion but it wasn’t an electric atmosphere and nothing like what we have been generating in recent times (with 2 1/2 times more fans). 
  • Derby will be my first visit to the valley this season, really cannot wait to sample the atmosphere. 
  • As above season ticket holder Lower West. But don't need blanket and flask just yet!
    Started coming in late 50's/early 60's. Season ticket since Selhurst days.
    Best atmosphere that I have ever known. Just love the Allez Allez song,
    The Jimmy Seed, Sam Bartram, CAFC. All of them! Best atmosphere that
    I have ever known. Long may it continue. All down to LB, JJ and SG.
    Can see the light at the end of the tunnel, hoping for takeover soon!
  • Sponsored links:

• The Valley has changed in the last 2 years, i couldnt get to the Donny home game (went to the away), but wish i could have been there. My son went and he said the atmosphere was hairs on the back of the neck job.
    It doesnt take long from Gobbo/Slade mediocrity to the stuff we are experiencing now, long may it continue.
  • BTW, just made me look up Russell Slade, and he is now the manager of Hereford.
  • Been going since 1996. The doncaster play off game last year was the loudest I have ever heard the valley. Especially in the first 5 minutes of the game, it was just a wall of absolute noise. Makes the hairs stand up just thinking about it.
  • Ipswich play off in 98 was loud the recent Doni one was a tad louder &  much more a triumphant climax, so gald I was there for both and subsequent Wembley victories.
  • I’ve said it before, but the atmosphere down the ground the last year or so is the best as I can ever remember in my 30-odd years going. 

I was North Upper since it was built up to a couple of years ago and have since retired to the sides. In the NU it always feels like it’s the best atmosphere ever, but I genuinely don’t think we ever made noise in the big Prem years like we are nowadays. The side stands used to rhythmically clap along but they never used to properly join in like now. 

The Doncaster play off game I don’t think will ever be beaten for atmosphere, but from Sunderland in early Jan on there’s been plenty of L1 / Champ league games that it’s been electric. 

That “Lee Bowyer’s red and white army” in the last five minutes was awesome. 

I can’t measure how sad this probably is, but Im 43 years old and I can’t think of much in life that gives you a buzz as much as the Valley proper rocking when we are winning. 

Am I going OTT? Am i getting it wrong about the Prem years?
    Two games for me that matched the current atmosphere and yes it does reflect I am an old git.

Home Semi Final Play off v Ipswich and a version of gallows humour ... home v Spurs, last home game of the Prem. Bit overall agreed the atmosphere in recent months has been fantastic.
  • It’s decent now more consistently than before  , I think Ipswich play off 98 was mental but I was 12 pints under so could be wrong .

i’d like us to be getting behind the team without needing a goal or incident to get us going but that’s me dreaming of 20k mad passionate fans who are up for it like ourselves but that’s never gonna happen clap clap clap , siddarn, pass the blanket 
    Ipswich was awesome, i was about 12 in by kick off too mind! Doncaster was different gear though, THE best atmosphere ive ever experienced at Charlton. No doubt. The noise generated since LB took over has been fucking superb.
  • Slightly off topic to the thread title but since Bowyer took over things have changed.

We’re no longer the Charlton who concede in the 90th minute. We’re no longer the Charlton who lose games that we deserve to win (in fact we do the opposites). We’re no longer the Charlton who bottle it on big occasions. We’re no longer the Charlton who have players that don’t care about the club, instead they put their body on the line for the shirt.

The support has reacted to all of this. Hence why The Valley is electric, and even our away support is getting praised by opposing fans. This is mainly down to the way Bowyer, Jacko and co. have got us playing imo.

Long may it continue
    Bowyer has a team who don't like losing and whose attitude does much to make up for any technical shortcomings.
  • clb74 said:
    I must of been the only one at the cardiff 5-4 home game
    That was a cracking atmosphere but under Bowyer the crowd are up for it more regularly.
    Yes its easier to be more up for it when youve lost 1 home league game in the past year.
  • Any team with a home record like we have had in recent times would be rocking 

Let’s see how good the atmosphere is when we’ve lost 6 on the bounce,  that’s when the real test will be as to how good the atmosphere is these days 
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:
    That was one of the loudest games ever at the Valley 
  • I think the atmosphere for home games throughout the relegation from the prem season in 98/99 the atmosphere was consistently amazing, non stop noise and most of the ground fairly involved. And seem to recall us getting a lot of praise for it from media, although it’s pretty common for newly promoted sides. I reckon that was good as now. When the north was built up it killed it a bit but it’s definitely been excellent this season. 
  • Slightly off topic to the thread title but since Bowyer took over things have changed.

We’re no longer the Charlton who concede in the 90th minute. We’re no longer the Charlton who lose games that we deserve to win (in fact we do the opposites). We’re no longer the Charlton who bottle it on big occasions. We’re no longer the Charlton who have players that don’t care about the club, instead they put their body on the line for the shirt.

The support has reacted to all of this. Hence why The Valley is electric, and even our away support is getting praised by opposing fans. This is mainly down to the way Bowyer, Jacko and co. have got us playing imo.

Long may it continue
    And why I firmly believe this is the season we beat the scum
  • edited September 2019
    stonemuse said:
    clb74 said:
    That was one of the loudest games ever at the Valley 
    Remember it well I think 
    Didn't we score 2 in 2 mins just before the break to level it at half time
    Whatever I remember it was rocking

• Portsmouth away last season was something special.
    Yes that was the best away but the one two seasons ago

Didnt go last season but echo that of the season before. Best ever away League game......and I've been to a few.
  • Any team with a home record like we have had in recent times would be rocking 

Let’s see how good the atmosphere is when we’ve lost 6 on the bounce,  that’s when the real test will be as to how good the atmosphere is these days 
    I never know when you are bring serious or tongue in cheek. However, I can't see a LB managed team losing 6 on the trot. 
  • It isn't the proms. It is not what is sung, it is how it is sung.
    That's true. I don't know why they have these opera singers doing the national anthem at big matches the fans always get to the end first.
  • edited September 2019
    This this is the best consistent atmosphere, ever. It seems like everybody in the North, East and West seems to be joining in. The only times that has happened has been the two Chrissy Powell chants (Spurs, the PL relegation year when play stopped for about 10 minutes or so and we filled the gap; and the Cardiff game when we hadn’t won for 10 games, were 2-0 down after about 10 minutes and SCP was probably facing the sack) and the ‘we sent the Palace down’ game. There have been noisy seasons but not where it’s been this consistent throughout the game - 68/69 comes to mind for instance when the Covered End hit that level when you know it’s LOUD - standing in he CE then and bigger crowds that season but it was only the CE where the chanting would come from. One thing that also used to happen back then as well is the atmosphere would start to build around 20 minutes before the game.