Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

And he's gone - £16.5m

WSSWSS
edited June 2007 in General Charlton
good luck Darren, not good luck Spuds.

England international Darren Bent has joined Tottenham Hotspur in a deal worth up to £16.5m, Charlton announced on Friday morning.

The Addicks will receive a club record fee for the striker, the club's top scorer for the past two seasons. Spurs will pay an initial £15.5m, with a further £1m dependent on a number of contingencies.

"I'd like to place on the record my appreciation for Darren's efforts on behalf of the club over the past two seasons,” said Charlton plc chairman Richard Murray.

He's been a model professional during his time at Charlton. He has been a pleasure to work with and has always represented the club magnificently, both at domestic and international level.”

He added: "Realistically, it was always going to be difficult to hang on to a player of his quality following relegation, but we feel we have negotiated the best deal possible for the club and, after a payment to Ipswich, it's a sum of money that will cushion the effects of relegation for the club.”

Bent joined Charlton in May 2004, when then manager Alan Curbishley paid an initial £2.5m to Ipswich Town.

The figure rose by a further £100,000 after his 40th appearance for the Addicks and could have risen to £3m had Bent played any senior competitive matches for England.

Despite Friday's record sale, which eclipses the £10m Chelsea paid Charlton for Scott Parker in January 2004, Charlton will not get the entire £15.5m sum.

Ipswich are entitled to 20 per cent of the profit made by Charlton on the player under a sell-on clause agreed with the Tractor Boys - meaning an initial payment of £2.58m will be heading to Portman Road.

However, the sum will enable the club to better balance its books following relegation to the Championship in May.

Under Iain Dowie, Charlton invested more than £11m last summer - using part of the coming 2007/08 season's transfer budget in the process - and since January Pardew has also purchased the likes of Madjid Bougherra, Luke Varney, Paddy McCarthy, Ben Thatcher, Yassin Moutaouakil and Martin Christensen for upwards of £5.5m. Chris Iwelumo has also been recruited on a free transfer, along with Jose Semedo.

Bent, who was handed the captain's armband by Pardew soon after the manager's Valley arrival in late December, scored 37 goals in 79 league and cup games for Charlton.

He was named player of the year in his debut season, when he finished as the country's leading English-born scorer in the top flight and made his debut for England, although many were surprised when the forward missed out on Sven Goran Eriksson's 2006 World Cup party.

Earlier this month Charlton agreed a fee for the 23-year-old forward with West Ham United, but Bent decided not to join the Hammers.

The transfer is the second piece of player activity for the Addicks in the space of 24 hours, with manager Alan Pardew snapping up out-of-contract midfielder Matt Holland on a one-year deal on Thursday.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2007
    I f**king hate Tottenham ggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Options
    Well done to the board they stuck to their guns and got what I believe is an outstanding deal for CAFC.Thanks Benty you are a model pro and it's been a pleasure watching you give everything for Charlton over the past 2 years,very refreshing in this era of prima donas.
  • Options
    £15.5 mill up front! well done to the board for getting such a good price. good luck to darren, pity you went to spuds though!
  • Options
    I'm with Shag. Why did he have to go there.

Good deal for us though I just hope he doesn't do anything for them and is injured when we have to play them next!!
  • Options
    Good deal for us, thanks for the goals, Ipswich will be pleased, let's hope the money is spent wisely.
  • Options
    Great deal for us, £12.92m in the bank, get shot of Luke Young at some point, and that'll be the Ipswich money back
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Ipswich will be pleased, let's hope the money is spent wisely.

They'll spend it on Franny Jeffers *sniggers*
  • Options
    Spurs' OS - contains photo which may offend

I wonder why this wasn't made official until this morning, yet Dazza was posing in a Spurs shirt yesterday? Another opportunity for Spurs to drop tit-bits in journalists' ears - I hate 'em. I hope they don't f*ck him up.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Congratulations to the board.... for making so many shyte decisions last year which means we have sell our best player who will only sit on the bench at the Yids.

Im ready for the flack.

ps to Darren good luck son you gave it your all for us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Congratulations to the board.... for making so many shyte decisions last year which means we have sell our best player who will only sit on the bench at the Yids.

Im ready for the flack.

but also a predictable post
  • Options
    Do you think he is worth £15.5 MILL then Pete? Personally although he did great for us he is far from the finished article.His first touch could be better as could his left foot.I think the price is excellant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We should of kept him for a year if Torres goes for 25 million quid well.
  • Options
    Get real we've been relegated and he wants premiership football.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Like Andy Johnson did with Palace eh when they were relegated?

I bet you was chuffed when Spotty went to a 'bigger' club when we was 4th in the Premiership - belive you me we would of got that 4th place that season.
  • Options
    Like so many others I am chuffed at what our board have acheived in getting us such a good price.

It is a shame that we have lost not only our best player but also a thoroughly decent bloke at the same time.

looking at the shirt has he been hoodwinked and actually joined Mark Hughes at Blackburn?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Well done to the board they stuck to their guns and got what I believe is an outstanding deal for CAFC.Thanks Benty you are a model pro and it's been a pleasure watching you give everything for Charlton over the past 2 years,very refreshing in this era of prima donas.

great post, this is a fantastic deal for us.

Varney now live on SSN
  • Options
    We got considerably more than Palace did for Johnson, and he had more form than Bent, Spurs are paying more than they did for Defoe and he was also an England player and more than they did for Berbatove, and he was an established international and goal scorer. This is a very good price, who knows what could happen in a year, if we use the money wisely we could be back in the Premiership, maybe Bent will be injured. This is a good deal.
  • Options
    An excellent price for a good player.

Served us very well and wish him all the best.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Like Andy Johnson did with Palace eh when they were relegated?

I bet you was chuffed when Spotty went to a 'bigger' club when we was 4th in the Premiership - belive you me we would of got that 4th place that season.

tong you're a melt mate. it was inevitable he was going he WANTED to go as well so keeping a player that wants to go is pointless.

and look what happened to Johnson - he LEFT for a lot less that was quoted.

You can't guarantee that 4th place - parker could ahve got injured.
  • Options
    Gutted knew it would happen sooner or later kept dreaming it would not

Well done the club good price worth more than Henry

Good luck Darren
  • Options
    im a 'melt' thats nice thanks for that ledge xx
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    very good buisness.almost as good as the £2m we got for konch.
  • Options
    I'll be even more impressed if we finally manage to dump Lisbie.
  • Options
    Sad to see him go as he was a good player and a good representative of the club. Only met him once but all I heard was that he was a good guy as well. I will take pride in his achievements with England as the call ups with most definately come now he's at a "big" club.

The fact that he turned down the West Ham deal (which was for more wages) because he felt unhappy with the club tells you all you need to know. I hope he puts 4 past the claret and blue cheats next seasons are they taunt him as "West Ham reject."

I expect the many Spurs fans who have been saying he's not all that and only worth £8 -10m will have a change of heart and he will become a bargain that they mugged us off for "only" £16.5m. Ok, just got to live with that.

Well done the club for the reminder that this money isn't a sudden windfall. Some is needed to cover the costs of Dowie and Pardew previous purchases plus other costs.

This money was already in the budget so there is not suddenly £12m to spend on yet more players - or the women's team - though I hope a few more will arrive permanently or on loan. With this deal out of the way at least that may happen sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    You said you were ready for the flak pete and thats what your post deserved.
  • Options
    so calling me a melt then how nice bye bye
  • Options
    Well done the board for not budging on the price.
  • Options
    When the Text finally arrived this morning it did not hurt half as much as I thought it would, probably cos the whole thing has been dragged out for so long.

Well done Benty good luck in your future career you will be sorely missed by everyone at CAFC. Special mention to the Board for securing the best possible deal for Charlton & Curbs of course for signing him for us in the first place which seems to have been missed on this thread thus far.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite] Special mention to the Board for securing the best possible deal for Charlton & Curbs of course for signing him for us in the first place which seems to have been missed on this thread thus far.

not allowed to say anything nice about curbs he left us with a team that eventually got relegated, he signed marcus bent, rommedahl etc...... it's all his fault;-)
  • Options
    18 years with us,then left just proved that he was never really charlton.
  • Options
    The yids make me sick!they are mugs!