Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tom Lawrence and Mason Bennett: Derby County stars charged with drink-driving

Comments

• Options
    Doubt they'll pay him willingly but a contract is a contract.

There's no benefit to Keogh in him agreeing to cancel his contract unless they pay him off 100% and pay his rehab bills.

My guess is that if it was only Keogh they'd try to dump him but hard to do that and keep the other two.

• Options
    Keogh was the club captain ....... and expected to lead by example.

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Has keogh done anything wrong? (Worthu enough for getting the sack anyways) he got drunk and got in a car as a passenger. Nothing wrong there.
    Letting someone drink drive is bad, getting in the car with them is as bad as being the driver. I am pretty sure there is legal precedent for charging passengers and rightly so. 

I'd imagine Derby are talking to their lawyers about what their options are, and will wait to see what action the police take against the drivers (and maybe the passengers). I really want the CPS (?) to throw the book at them. Footballers are selfish pricks in these situations. Imagine having enough money to not even notice that you got an Uber to Spain, let alone home, and STILL decide to drive instead. 

Given the Uber option, given the cars being laid on, I'm speculating that they wanted to race while drunk. And if so, that would be utterly unforgivable. 

Really, a passenger of a drink driver can be charge too? 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Has keogh done anything wrong? (Worthu enough for getting the sack anyways) he got drunk and got in a car as a passenger. Nothing wrong there.
    Letting someone drink drive is bad, getting in the car with them is as bad as being the driver. I am pretty sure there is legal precedent for charging passengers and rightly so. 

I'd imagine Derby are talking to their lawyers about what their options are, and will wait to see what action the police take against the drivers (and maybe the passengers). I really want the CPS (?) to throw the book at them. Footballers are selfish pricks in these situations. Imagine having enough money to not even notice that you got an Uber to Spain, let alone home, and STILL decide to drive instead. 

Given the Uber option, given the cars being laid on, I'm speculating that they wanted to race while drunk. And if so, that would be utterly unforgivable. 

I believe it is possible, if the passenger is a driver, that their licence could theoretically also be at risk - although I don't know how often this actually happens.
  • Options
    N01R4M said:
    se9addick said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

I believe it is possible, if the passenger is a driver, that their licence could theoretically also be at risk - although I don't know how often this actually happens.
    I assume that would depend if the passenger knew the driver was over the limit, and I suppose if the passenger encouraged the driver...Certainly not an issue if you had no idea

I think the court case will be very interesting, who exactly was involved, how fast they were driving, whether they were racing...
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I doubt they thought let's have 10 pints and then race each other.

From what i've read they were going to a players house who lives about 5 minutes away, so i guess they probably just thought "it's not far, i'll be fine". It's probably not the first time they've done it either given a lot of their players apparently (according to Derby's forum) drink in that pub all the time.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I doubt they thought let's have 10 pints and then race each other.

From what i've read they were going to a players house who lives about 5 minutes away, so i guess they probably just thought "it's not far, i'll be fine". It's probably not the first time they've done it either given a lot of their players apparently (according to Derby's forum) drink in that pub all the time.
    Have you seen the damage to the cars, no way were they just driving to a mates house.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't get it, only one of them could have been driving or are neither of them owning up and so they both get done?
    I thought that if you get in a car with someone you know has been drinking, you can get done the same as them
  • Options
    I don't get it, only one of them could have been driving or are neither of them owning up and so they both get done?
    I thought that if you get in a car with someone you know has been drinking, you can get done the same as them
    I honestly never knew that, sounds about right though. 

My wife is from the proper sticks in the West Country and attitudes towards drink driving seem very different down there. 
  • Options
    yeah you can my driving instructer said if you are ever silly enough to get in a car with someone whos had a drink make sure you are drunk aswell - as if you are sober and you let someone drive who has been drinking - you will lose your licence aswell. 
  • Options
    yeah you can my driving instructer said if you are ever silly enough to get in a car with someone whos had a drink make sure you are drunk aswell - as if you are sober and you let someone drive who has been drinking - you will lose your licence aswell. 
    I should be alright then.
  • Options
    Sounds like Keogh should be alright then!
  • Options
    bit O T T to call Bennet a 'star' .. from what I've seen he's a mediocre not often striking striker
  • Options
    Tom Lawrence starting tonight
    Mason Bennett on the bench
  • Options
    Good to see the Derby manager and owner taking such a tough stance against them. Both back in the side just 1 week after the incident!

Personally though Derby would at least wait until the court case before picking them again.
  • Options
    In fairness to Derby fans, a quick look on twitter shows that they can't believe it and are all against their selection
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unbelievable that he starts but Lawrence wins Derby a pen just before half time. 1-2 up against Barnsley
  • Options
    I’ve never heard that either. How could that even be proven??
  • Options

A quick search on google led me to this… Can you aid and abet a drink ... - The Drink Driving Solicitor This means that a person convicting of aiding or abetting a drink driving offence will receive a minimum 12 month driving disqualification plus a fine and they could be sent to prison or made subject to a community order.24 Aug 2016

• Options
    Wonder if Derby will now sack him? Surely their owner isn't going to continue paying his (probably quite high) wages for the next year or so.
    Most likely not, because then they would have to sack Lawrence and Bennett too, and there's no way they're letting that amount of recoupable transfer money go for nothing
    They can sack them but hold onto their registration.
  • Options
    Good to see the Derby manager and owner taking such a tough stance against them. Both back in the side just 1 week after the incident!

Personally though Derby would at least wait until the court case before picking them again.
    I suppose the Derby logic is innocent until proved guilty etc, even in a case where the evidence looks pretty clear cut

Ched Evans for example played all season until his court case, and indeed Sheffield United slumped massively after he was found guilty allowing Wednesday and Huddersfield to pip them for promotion
  • Options

Cant believe it. Hope they go down. Scummy club. None of this "wait for the trail......innocent until proven guilty" bollox. If you wrap your car round a tree & are breatherlised showing you are over the limit then that's it. There aee no "mitigating" circumstances. 
  • Options
    That’s a good lesson learnt - both played tonight after assisting in ending the captains career ( he also has himself to blame ), basically showing 0 respect to the club and manager. 

Bad bad decision from derby and they deserve everything they get and severely hope they go no where this season and the pair of them have career ending injuries. Selfish pricks. 

• Options
    Tom Lawrence called up for the Wales squad as well...