Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So bent to spuds who does pards buy next?

edited June 2007 in General Charlton
Taking into account that we have to factor into this transfer a percentage payment to Ipswich,it will be interesting to see how much the club will release for pards to spend on incoming transfers,pards has so far spent money on re-modelling the training ground,money we didn't have and has also spent well on bringing in young "future" players that curbs would not have gambled on,a significant number of staff have already been and or will be released depending on how the new team performs,i think that we need a goal keeper and central midfielder at least. the merry go round should start next week,who can we get?

Comments

• Options
    We need a some more strikers. If Varney and Iweluma don't gel or get injured we haven't got much else to call on. Eastwood still hasn't gone to Wolves as far as I know so maybe we'll get him, or we've also been linked with Ellington.

Not sure about what Midfielders we would go for but we need someone who provide service to strikers and chip in with a few goals himself - maybe we'll have to shop abroad for that one.
  • Options
    Peakie you've mentioned something very interesting there. Everybody is saying we need midfielders but i've seen very few names put forward by anyone, as to who they think we should sign, with the exception of mullins, who would get a mixed reception i think. i agree with you on the strikers as well and can see earnshaw coming and wouldn't it be lovely if norwich took big bent as part of the deal.
  • Options
    Nobody's talked about loan signings yet. I reckon we'll see two or three of those. Who'll they be though? That is the question.
  • Options
    He buys a goalkeeper and a centre-midfield player and another striker at least, and preferably someone we've heard of rather than European U21 players who may or may not turn out to be good players.
  • Options
    Don't forget we still have the maligned Marcus Bent, he is on a big wage bill (not his fault but Curbs') so I don't think we can afford another striker if he stays.

Imho, despite his tabloid headline grabbing shenanigans, he generally played well for us under Pards, despite the lack of goals. If he stays then he should be a regular and a decent player for us this season, and hopefully the goals will come of course.

Because of his inflated wages we really need to get him off the payroll, even if it is not for much of a fee - his wages will be about the same as those of Varney, Iwelumo & Dickson combined.
  • Options
    PS Actually someone last night suggested MB had a clause regarding relegation in his contract so his wages may be down a bit this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]PS Actually someone last night suggested MB had a clause regarding relegation in his contract so his wages may be down a bit this season.

I'm with you, i think he will ok at this level and put in some decent performances under pards. At Liverpool yes he did storm off down the tunnel but it could have been more frustration than a sign he does not want to be here.

We will see i have feeling he will be leading our attack come august
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I have said it before i think MB is going to score loads next year if he stays injury free and everyone will love him.
  • Options
    I think it is likely there will be a couple of centre Mids & a keeper coming in before the big kick off but cannot see much money being spent though.
  • Options
    malcolm christie is out of contract at boro.
    imo, he has been unlucky with injuries but has scored goals when fit.

worth a look?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i think we got enough strikers at the moment ,i rekon decent midfielder and a goalie
  • Options
    the mail this morning mentioned earnshaw and they're usually quite accurate in their sports reporting. Would be a decent buy for the championship but not a premiership player. It depends whether we want to build for the future or get us out of the league.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimbrannin[/cite]the mail this morning mentioned earnshaw and they're usually quite accurate in their sports reporting. Would be a decent buy for the championship but not a premiership player. It depends whether we want to build for the future or get us out of the league.
    Step by step. lets get out the division first then worry about staying up once we've done that.
  • Options
    Can`t say I am optomistic about us making anymore significant signings. The OS seems to be pushing that the Bent transfer will help offset cost of relegation and also mentions that Dowie "blew" part of this years kitty as well. Also reminds us of the Ipswich sell on fee. Reading between the lines I think they board are saying not much money left. I think we can expect a couple of loans and maybe a freebie or too ! I am sorry to say I feel that if I am right then our squad will not be up to a promotion push. Too many inexperienced and new players. Will take a good few games to get that "bedded" in.
  • Options
    According to todays...ahem....Daily Sport....we've bid 200K for Lutons Matt Spring.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]Nobody's talked about loan signings yet. I reckon we'll see two or three of those. Who'll they be though? That is the question.

Indie says that it is between us and QPR for Chelsea's Ben Sahar on loan until January
  • Options
    earnshaw aint prem quality but do u remember the hat-trick he got against us in about 15mins for west brom at the valley? that werent a good day.
  • Options
    Has Alex Song definitely gone back to Arsenal? We certainly need midfielders, who on earth do we have left, Holland, Romm, Ambrose and JT (shudder).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonchick[/cite]Has Alex Song definitely gone back to Arsenal? We certainly need midfielders, who on earth do we have left, Holland, Romm, Ambrose and JT (shudder).

and Simon Walton, Josh Wright and Harry Arter
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Charltonchick[/cite]Has Alex Song definitely gone back to Arsenal? We certainly need midfielders, who on earth do we have left, Holland, Romm, Ambrose and JT (shudder).[/quote]

and Simon Walton, Josh Wright and Harry Arter[/quote]

Very unproven at any decent level. Reid will hopefully do a job if he's not too injury prone, Faye isn't all that great...we need a midfield leader
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we can get Song in for 2m, Mullins in for 1m, Sahar on loan, Earnshaw for 3m then get rid of M. Bent for say 1m, then get say 1.5m for Thomas plus we'll save loads on their wages then we're doing ok. Just need a keeper now.......
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]If we can get Song in for 2m, Mullins in for 1m, Sahar on loan, Earnshaw for 3m then get rid of M. Bent for say 1m, then get say 1.5m for Thomas plus we'll save loads on their wages then we're doing ok. Just need a keeper now.......[/quote]

Sounds ideal! Yes, the keeper issue is a bit of a problem. Two keepers barely past puberty aren't a safe option for the tough season we're going to have next year. Not many keepers for sale at the moment though I don't think...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonchick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonchick[/cite]Has Alex Song definitely gone back to Arsenal? We certainly need midfielders, who on earth do we have left, Holland, Romm, Ambrose and JT (shudder).

and Simon Walton, Josh Wright and Harry Arter

Very unproven at any decent level. Reid will hopefully do a job if he's not too injury prone, Faye isn't all that great...we need a midfield leader

Walton isn't, played well at that level last year for Ipswich and Cardiff, Wright and Arter will get the chance in the CCC and could be the making of them
  • Options
    Mail reporting that we'll turn to Collins John if we can't land Earnshaw.
  • Options
    Surely we'd have to sell M Bent first?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TerraSalad[/cite]Surely we'd have to sell M Bent first?

Someones got to show an interest first.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Danny Dyer / Roseandcrown ...............so far, it looks like we were right about Marcus - let's hope it stays that way :-)