Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bernardo Silva tweet

Comments

• I don't think there is anything wrong with the joke per se, if it was in the context of a private conversation between a group of friends where boundaries are set. It's spectacularly naive to publish that joke in the way that he did though. 

Myself and @PaddyP17 will have jokes in private because we are friends, but I wouldn't dream of posting some of my pisstaking to him on here for example! 

Interested to hear your thoughts on that mate.
    Completely agree. This has pretty much always been my take on it, and it seems to be the general sentiment.

Instead what we've got on CL is a bit of dog whistling and people getting outraged over how people are offended on everyone's behalf, when no one actually seems offended in the first place.

As for the jokes A2TR and I crack - yeah they don't bear repeating in public, but cos we're mates and there's a defined social dynamic there, it's all good. And if a line is crossed then you briefly mention it, fair play, and you move on, because that's what friends do.
  • Perhaps going off at a tangent slightly, but I don't understand how people in Silva's position can still view posting something on Twitter as 'having a laugh with a mate' rather than 'publishing something for millions of people to read'.

There must be a WhatsApp group or similar that he could have put this on. Putting it on Twitter is a choice.
  • Interesting response from Pep over the incident...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49820205

Depends on what interesting means to you really.

A football manager defends his player who's put himself in a difficult place. Happens all the time.
  • iainment said:
    Interesting response from Pep over the incident...

Depends on what interesting means to you really.

A football manager defends his player who's put himself in a difficult place. Happens all the time.
    Could well open himself up for criticsm though
  • I think it's a case of a non-racist being ignorant of the danger of humour that de-humanises the person who is the object of the joke for it to be funny.  A racist can make exactly the same joke, not to be funny, but to reinforce and justify his de-humanisation of another person.  That unfortunately it's the world we live in and it's not always obvious what camp the joker falls into.  A racist uses the joke to cloak his true sentiments. 

It's all too easy to make an honest mistake. I once called our fitness instructor "chief" meaning boss, something I said occasionally to someone in jokey way who was giving orders and who might be being bit over-bearing.  He immediately stopped and quietly asked me not to use that word.  I was mortified and embarrassed, it had never occurred to me until then how it would be interpreted entirely differently by a black person sensitised from being the butt of racist jibes, as opposed to my white mates.

By the laws of PC, I am a racist regardless of the lack of any intent to offend or ridicule.

Great response showing common sense. It was a joke, neither of the players are offended, move on.
  • Is there actually anyone anywhere who was genuinely offended by this?  Or are people just assuming that there are people offended?

I’m still yet to actually meet a member of the PC brigade in real life I’ve only seen them online, genuinely think stories like this are whipped up by your Piers Morgan types to keep them relevant.
  • Is there actually anyone anywhere who was genuinely offended by this?  Or are people just assuming that there are people offended?

I’m still yet to actually meet a member of the PC brigade in real life I’ve only seen them online, genuinely think stories like this are whipped up by your Piers Morgan types to keep them relevant.
    Well, exactly. Some one says "well, don't think that was really that wise to say" and then the rabid right wingers jump on it saying how this confirms their wild theories how the world is going to the dogs - when actually it's just changing without them, just like the world changed without their parents generation. And they're utterly terrified.
  • Sponsored links:

Well, exactly. Some one says "well, don't think that was really that wise to say" and then the rabid right wingers jump on it saying how this confirms their wild theories how the world is going to the dogs - when actually it's just changing without them, just like the world changed without their parents generation. And they're utterly terrified.
    My post was actually a dig at both sides (an attempt to be balanced I guess) I agree that the sun readers enjoy a wacky theory on how the worlds gone soft but at the same time the holier than holy defend those who might be offended when in reality, there’s probably no sane person that is!
  • Nobody on this thread is doing either extreme. 

I have banned talk radio and news in the workplace now, two people almost came to blows over fucking leaving the EU with one calling the other a nazi and the other calling the other something equally over the top and unpleasant whilst it would have been nice to have them let off steam by thumping each other that sort of thing is frowned on in the workplace nowadays. Essentially what I'm saying is people who previously had no platform to come out with this sensationalist, extreme nonsense now have a potential audience of millions and others then lap it up by jumping on it to have an argument with a stranger on the internet 

My point about banning the radio was people end up starting open debates about stuff that doesn't need to be debated at work whereas with someone differents spotify each day we at least get to argue about musical taste rather than Darth Farage and emporer Johnson 
  • I agree with John Barnes.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/11819355/john-barnes-defends-bernardo-silva-over-benjamin-mendy-tweet

For me all this just highlights is the stupidity of posting things like this to Twitter. Stick to WhatsApp if you want to message your mates.
  • Footballers should be able to slag their mates off over twitter just like the rest of us.  Don’t agree with the “yeah but he’s in the public eye” line personally.
  • "Bernardo Silva has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association over a tweet he sent to team-mate Benjamin Mendy.

He is alleged to have committed an "aggravated breach" of FA rules because it included reference "to race and/or colour and/or ethnic origin".

Portugal playmaker Silva, 25, has until Wednesday, 9 October to respond."

• Footballers should be able to slag their mates off over twitter just like the rest of us.  Don’t agree with the “yeah but he’s in the public eye” line personally.
    With great power comes great responsibility. People with a massive following and massive reach have to be held to different standards.
    what if (say) a black player compared a white team mate to the Milky Bar Kid .. that is of course if the MBK is still extant .. would there be all this sanctimonious furore and witch hunting ?

• I understand the FA making an example of Silva, even if I don’t particularly think it was a racist comment.

What I don’t get however is how Wayne Hennessey knowingly made a Nazi salute on a night out and got away with it. Madness.
  • edited October 2019
    Footballers should be able to slag their mates off over twitter just like the rest of us.  Don’t agree with the “yeah but he’s in the public eye” line personally.
    what if (say) a black player compared a white team mate to the Milky Bar Kid .. that is of course if the MBK is still extant .. would there be all this sanctimonious furore and witch hunting ?

The cartoon character referenced doesn't exist anymore does he? The MBK is also not a lazy racial stereotype. It's simply a white kid dressed as a cowboy. 🤠
  • Laddick01 said:
    I understand the FA making an example of Silva, even if I don’t particularly think it was a racist comment.

What I don’t get however is how Wayne Hennessey knowingly made a Nazi salute on a night out and got away with it. Madness.
    The FA had a picture and words to work with when they made the decision on Silva, however the gin swigging old fools fell for Hennessey's story about throwing his voice.

All of it is madness and as I have said before it is people being offended on behalf of others that are not offended.
  • Sponsored links:

Nothing would be said. 

Absolutely diddly squat would be done. 

Nothing would be said. 
    Footballers should be able to slag their mates off over twitter just like the rest of us.  Don’t agree with the “yeah but he’s in the public eye” line personally.

Absolutely diddly squat would be done. 
    Nor should it, because they aren’t comparable situations.

Nothing would be said. 
    and quite rightly, just as should be the case with Silva who meant no malice in his humorous tweet to a friend and team mate

Quoting oneself is somewhat self-congratulatory but I may as well do it again, given my comment from September 23 seemed to elude:

I mean, the cartoon is pretty racist is it not? It builds on racist tropes that were commonly used to dehumanise black people.

This is why the Milky Bar Kid thing/Tintin (for Kevin de Bruyne) doesn't fly: neither character was part of a greater discriminatory "movement", for want of a better word.

I'd like to clarify that maybe Silva isn't racist. This looks like a joke to me. But the racism behind this cartoon is obvious, and it's monumentally stupid for someone in a position to be a role model to joke about this sort of thing publicly. 
  • Everyone has lost their SOH these days...
  • Not this again......
  • edited October 2019
    Mendy should have found a fat Billy Bunter type of character to give the banter back to Silva.

I may be the only "White person" on CL who suffered some abuse about colour ?

I was 8 years old and back home in England after 3 years in the African sun. Having olive skin I was dark, and looked mix race, even my own cousins and my uncle kepted on about it on my return. He even said to my parents had they brought the wrong kid back. My brother didn't tan like me so had no issues.

The strange thing was I didn't like it at first until we had a school football match and the same kid who called me sambo (it was 99% a white school) started calling me Pele !
    Suddenly I liked my new nickname unfortunately one English winter back in the UK and my nickname the following year was chopper Harris. The moral to this story is the offence is who you are compared to.

Ps. Till death as do part with Alf Garnett was a popular show at the time so kids just copy what they hear on TV.

• Everyone has lost their SOH these days...
    You're like this bloke but unironic
    With great power comes great responsibility. People with a massive following and massive reach have to be held to different standards.
    Disagree, he signed up to play football not Spider-Man.