Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bernardo Silva tweet

Comments

• What a joke, pc brigade having a field day with this.
  • edited September 2019

Kick It Out has called on the Football Association to act after the governing body confirmed it was investigating a tweet sent by Manchester City's Bernardo Silva.

Silva compared City team-mate Benjamin Mendy to the character on the packet of Conguitos - a sweet brand available in Spain and Portugal.

"We are extremely disappointed to see the tweet posted by Bernardo Silva," said the anti-discrimination body.

A Kick It Out statement added: "Racist stereotypes are never acceptable as 'banter', and we're shocked that someone who is a role model to millions has failed to understand the discriminatory nature of his post.

"The FA have been notified and we believe that retrospective action should be taken, including mandatory education - which is vital to challenge offensive behaviour such as this."

Getting absolutely ridiculous now. Someone please explain to me how the tweet was racist. Or how it is in any way different to Aguero being nicknamed after a Japanese cartoon character because shock of all horrors.......he looks like the character.

Did you watch the video in the 2nd post ?
    It's clearly not acceptable to many in 2019.

Ok some are offended and some aren't.
    I'm quite thick skinned, but on this occasion I can see the offence in the video even if Silva thought it was banter.

The last video posted at 10.38, clearly shows Silva needs some education in this area, if he think he can joke about people's skin colour in 2019.

I wouldn't even joke privately to a mate how Silva did in that 2nd video posted at 10.38.
  • Kick It Out has called on the Football Association to act after the governing body confirmed it was investigating a tweet sent by Manchester City's Bernardo Silva.

Silva compared City team-mate Benjamin Mendy to the character on the packet of Conguitos - a sweet brand available in Spain and Portugal.

"We are extremely disappointed to see the tweet posted by Bernardo Silva," said the anti-discrimination body.

A Kick It Out statement added: "Racist stereotypes are never acceptable as 'banter', and we're shocked that someone who is a role model to millions has failed to understand the discriminatory nature of his post.

"The FA have been notified and we believe that retrospective action should be taken, including mandatory education - which is vital to challenge offensive behaviour such as this."

Getting absolutely ridiculous now. Someone please explain to me how the tweet was racist. Or how it is in any way different to Aguero being nicknamed after a Japanese cartoon character because shock of all horrors.......he looks like the character.

I'm quite thick skinned, but on this occasion I can see the offence in the video even if Silva thought it was banter.

The last video posted at 10.38, clearly shows Silva needs some education in this area, if he think he can joke about people's skin colour in 2019.

I wouldn't even joke privately to a mate how Silva did in that 2nd video posted at 10.38.
    What does the 2nd video have to do with it (which yes i have seen).

Quite clear from the above statement that they're looking into his tweet about the cartoon character & Mendy.
  • edited September 2019
    Yeah I'm struggling to see the 'Racist stereotypes' angle from KIO here. Black human kid compared to black cartoon kid shocker!
  • Kick It Out has called on the Football Association to act after the governing body confirmed it was investigating a tweet sent by Manchester City's Bernardo Silva.

What does the 2nd video have to do with it (which yes i have seen).

Quite clear from the above statement that they're looking into his tweet about the cartoon character & Mendy.
    Context, maybe?
  • I just hope the old bill make it a priority to investigate this case rather than focusing on unimportant crimes like assaults or burglaries.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2019
  • Good job he never said the "Harrow taxi driver joke"
  • This and the haka thread...

The absolute state of some of you. 
  • This and the haka thread...

The absolute state of some of you. 

Careful, @Stu_of_Kunming will call you a racist. 

It’s been explained multiple times on this thread. There was even excessive usage of the phrase “pray tell”, you should take a look.
  • What a load of nonsense, but this is the world we live in now.  Everyone is offended by everything on everyones behalf.

It's only going to get worse too!
  • Laddick01 said:
    I mean, if we’re digging out old tweets, is this racist?

haha thats class.
  • Sponsored links:

• It says it all about the state of the world today that either everything is racist or nothing is.
  • What a load of nonsense, but this is the world we live in now.  Everyone is offended by everything on everyones behalf.

It's only going to get worse too!
    It’s PC gone mad. 
  • This thread is mental #imoffended because I feel I should be offended even though really I  not offended but don’t want anyone to know I’m not offended Incase that offends them

SNOWFLAKES where’s  James o Brian I need to call him 
  • Salad said:
    It is not okay to use negative racial stereotyping for public banter. Maybe Mendy does find it genuinely amusing, it is still not okay ... who knows, by appearing to find it funny, he might be trying to make light of something he's uncomfortable with so he can fit in with his colleagues.
    Premier League footballers are icons and role models - hence we are discussing it here - and a reasonable level of public behaviour should be expected, it seems right to me that Silva should receive some education.
    Maybe it's a bit like the education you receive when you've been caught speeding, most people are sceptical about its value beforehand but come away admitting they were in the wrong and that the education was a positive experience for them.
    Nonsense.

Anyone who follows him on social media, has seen him interviewed or has seen the City documentary on Amazon will know that Mendy is one of, if not the most popular character in the City dressing room.
  • This all seems a bit lame compared to what went on at Hartlepool v Dover at the weekend. Genuinely surprised it hasn’t had a mention.
  • Did the actual tweet have racist intentions? Absolutely not.

Does the character in the tweet have historic racist connotations? Absolutely.

Did Mendy find the tweet genuinely funny? Absolutely (he's a big boy who would speak up if he didn't. All this waffle about maybe he wanted to fit in is daft).

Should Silva have tweeted what he tweeted to a public arena? Absolutely not.

Is Twitter full of absolute pond-life? Absolutely.

Are there far too many middle aged white men that enjoy virtue signalling and preaching that they know what and how POC's think and believe? Absolutely, so stop it.

Oh my the irony. 
  • Did the actual tweet have racist intentions? Absolutely not.

Does the character in the tweet have historic racist connotations? Absolutely.

Did Mendy find the tweet genuinely funny? Absolutely (he's a big boy who would speak up if he didn't. All this waffle about maybe he wanted to fit in is daft).

Should Silva have tweeted what he tweeted to a public arena? Absolutely not.

Is Twitter full of absolute pond-life? Absolutely.

Are there far too many middle aged white men that enjoy virtue signalling and preaching that they know what and how POC's think and believe? Absolutely, so stop it.

Oh my the irony. 
    Agreeing with 5 out of the 6 statements I made isn't bad. I'll take it.