Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton-connected gig, 28th September, 100 Club.

If you're stuck for something to do after the Leeds game on September 28th then you could do much worse than head up to the 100 Club in Oxford street where three bands with Charlton connections are playing in aid of Cancer Research UK. Nothing to do with Lyle Taylor - the gig is in memory of Duncan, the drummer of the headline band who was sadly lost to cancer last year.

The first band on at 7.45 is Dalek Beach Party, featuring a Valley Party candidate who was also part of the team that brought you the Addickted fanzine. The Daleks have been described as the Masters of Twang and like the Shadows on speed - make of that what you will but they are always good value. https://youtu.be/3OkWMfI0suU 

The Rant features at least one long-term Charlton fan who went out with Miss Charlton Athletic for a while in the Selhurst days, back when that sort of thing was acceptable. (The Miss Charlton Athletic thing - playing at Selhurst was never acceptable).

Headlining will be The Wait, who older readers may remember from the Back to the Valley gig at the Tramshed. They were first on and a video of the gig is somewhere on YouTube. They feature another Valley party candidate and another who is the curator of the Charlton Scrapbook website. They supported bands like Eddie & the Hot Rods, The Icicle Works and That Petrol Emotion back in the day, as well as being on one of John Peel's infamous Roadshows down at Kent Uni.

Drumming for The Wait will be old friend Gary James from Thunder, who warmed up for the gig by drumming for Rod Stewart last weekend, so he should be match-fit.

The compere for the evening is another long-term Charlton fan, who as well as being another member of the Addickted team once represented Charlton at an FA Cup draw...

Entry is only £10 and all profits go to Cancer Research UK - tickets are available in advance from the 100 Club website - https://www.the100club.co.uk/events/the-wait/ or on the night.

If you've not been to the 100 Club before, it's worth a visit in its own right. Everyone from The Rolling Stones to the Sex Pistols have played there and it's well known as a traditional, old fashioned sweaty, noisy venue, with a bar on each side of the dance floor and the stage in the middle. One of my personal favourite places to see a band.

The bands have to stop at 11pm but the venue is staying open for an after-party for the event until 1pm. If you can make it, please do come along and support us - it should be a good evening!

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a good gig.  I drummed in a band supporting the Sex Pistols at the 100 Club in 1976...
    Glen Matlock era?
    What was that like - did you interact much with them?
  • Options
    Sounds like a good gig.  I drummed in a band supporting the Sex Pistols at the 100 Club in 1976...
    Glen Matlock era?
    Yes!  We shared the single dressing room.  Johnny Rotten sneered at our guitarist because he was wearing eye shadow!
  • Options

The bands have to stop at 11pm but the venue is staying open for an after-party for the event until 1pm. If you can make it, please do come along and support us - it should be a good evening!
    That sounds like a fantastic night and a great cause.  I hope it's a terrific success. 

But, fuck me! An after party that goes on until the following lunchtime?  That's too long for me these days...
  • Options
    My parents met at 100 Club in 1964!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

That sounds like a fantastic night and a great cause.  I hope it's a terrific success. 

But, fuck me! An after party that goes on until the following lunchtime?  That's too long for me these days...
    Ah, yes - good spot! 1am curfew.
  • Options
    Glen Matlock era?
    Yes!  We shared the single dressing room.  Johnny Rotten sneered at our guitarist because he was wearing eye shadow!

That's an impressive claim to fame! Was that at the Punk Festival with The Clash etc?
  • Options
    100 club is a good venue and I would have considered coming along, but I'm seeing Spear of Destiny at ULU (out of curiosity for old times sake).
  • Options
    I remember the Croydon Greyhound - not often you got a venue in a tower block! Saw a lot of bands there ranging from Budgie to The Jam. Everything seemed to change very quickly between ‘75 and ‘77! I never saw Canned Heat but remember their name on the fliers. The first few gigs I went to they had one row of chairs at the front. These disappeared for punk gigs... Didn’t it get shut down for structural reasons? The later fliers said ‘no pogo dancing’ I think because cracks were appearing in the ceiling of the office downstairs. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll be there. It should be a great evening and for a good cause as well