Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mercury Music Prize

Tonight

Anna Calvi  ‘Hunter’

Black Midi ‘Schlagenheim’

Cate Le Bon ‘Reward’

Dave ‘Psychodrama’

Foals ‘Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost - Part 1’

Fontaines D.C. ‘Dogrel’

IDLES ‘Joy as an Act of Resistance’

Little Simz ‘Grey Area’

NAO ‘Saturn’

SEED Ensemble ‘Driftglass’

slowthai ‘Nothing Great About Britain’

The 1975 ‘A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships’

Comments

• I have only heard of:

Dave
    Foals
    The 1975
  • edited September 2019
    Getting very old - only heard of three of them. 

*Edit* Funny enough - those ones ^^^^
  • Preferred them before they went commercial.
  • looking at the previous lists, the stand out years for me are 94,95,96

Maybe due to may age as was 23-25 in that period 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Prize#1990s
  • MrOneLung said:
    I have only heard of:

Dave
    Foals
    The 1975
    You’ll have heard more than you think, Anna Calvi’s music is played in peaky blinders
  • Difference between heard, and heard of SR... 
  • edited September 2019
    IDLES or Slowthai will win I reckon, probably the former
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkF_G-RF66M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuQG6_evFc8
  • edited September 2019
    MrOneLung said:
    looking at the previous lists, the stand out years for me are 94,95,96

Some odd decisions in retrospect, M People beating Prodigy and Paul Weller?  Roni Size beating OK Computer ?  Ms Dynamite better than The Streets Original Pirate?  
  • Big fan of Anna Calvi, a three of her albums have been mercury nominated... This for me is her weakest though. Might give the others a spin, usually a few decent ones
  • I think 'The Foals' got a mention on here a while ago .. other than that I have heard of precisely NONE of the revered nominated artistes 
  • Sponsored links:

• Felix White from The Maccabees playing guitar for Foals tonight as Yannis is injured is the stuff dreams are made of for a soppy indie idiot like me!
  • Lucky for me, I’ve heard of 7 of them 😂

I’d like IDLES to win, fantastic album, or Fontaine’s D.C., Foals also very good though. I’ve tried hard to like Slowthai but I just can’t get into it.
  • Idles for me.
    Seeing them at Ally Pally 7th December.
  • Got a tenner on IDLES to win so obviously love them to do it.

Fantastic selection of albums this year tbf, strongest for a while imo.
  • I think 'The Foals' got a mention on here a while ago .. other than that I have heard of precisely NONE of the revered nominated artistes 
    I've heard of Foals and The 1975. Even played a few of The 1975's songs recently. And I thought Foals were famous in your country? IIRC they became known around the same time as bands like Kaiser Chiefs, Hard-Fi (or maybe a couple of years later than them). I just didn't know they are still going. Anyway I'm surprised I'm slightly more familiar with these nominees than you people are.😂
  • Jessie said:
    I think 'The Foals' got a mention on here a while ago .. other than that I have heard of precisely NONE of the revered nominated artistes 
    I've heard of Foals and The 1975. Even played a few of The 1975's songs recently. And I thought Foals were famous in your country? IIRC they became known around the same time as bands like Kaiser Chiefs, Hard-Fi (or maybe a couple of years later than them). I just didn't know they are still going. Anyway I'm surprised I'm slightly more familiar with these nominees than you people are.😂
    You're right of course.
  • edited September 2019
    Jessie said:
    I think 'The Foals' got a mention on here a while ago .. other than that I have heard of precisely NONE of the revered nominated artistes 
    Jessie said:

you say 'your country' .. where are you, the States, Oz, NZ ? .. and as for familiarity with the nominees .. I regard most contemporary British music that I've heard as contrived tripe, a few very talented female artists excepted .. just listened to a couple of Fontaines DC tracks ? .. about as listenable as a miserable cat wailing as it's being tortured .. my opinion of course
  • Fontaines DC are great, can't wait to see them live :-)
  • MrOneLung said:
    looking at the previous lists, the stand out years for me are 94,95,96

Some odd decisions in retrospect, M People beating Prodigy and Paul Weller?  Roni Size beating OK Computer ?  Ms Dynamite better than The Streets Original Pirate?  
    I'm sure they were considered odd at the time! Never been entirely sure what criteria they use when coming up with the nominations, and how the judges are meant to compare such different types of music
  • Heard of 10 of these, mostly due to listening to Radio 6 on a daily basis.

These are a couple of off the wall selections:

Black Midi - Ducter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86NGJmUfRlM

Cate Le Bon - Mother’s Mother’s Magazines 

https://catelebon.bandcamp.com/track/mothers-mothers-magazines
  • Sponsored links:

• Gotta say, I like pretty much all of this. Even the more Avant Garde stuff like black midi
  • Got to be said though that the 1975 suck the hairy bag
  • Jessie said:
    Jessie said:

you say 'your country' .. where are you, the States, Oz, NZ ? .. and as for familiarity with the nominees .. I regard most contemporary British music that I've heard as contrived tripe, a few very talented female artists excepted .. just listened to a couple of Fontaines DC tracks ? .. about as listenable as a miserable cat wailing as it's being tortured .. my opinion of course
    Jessie is in China as any fule kno
  • The Little Simz is the best album of these by far but obviously the Mercury is a running gag 
  • (Obviously the watered-down, approachable, Guardian-reader-ready album won it, but Simz is the one with real bite)
  • Well, they went for another rapper, does seem like they lean towards urban sounds more
  • Glad Dave won.

Often have that playing at my house (when my son's home that is).

Clever lyricist and tells a story.