Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rugby World Cup 2019

Comments

• really looking forward to this .. Wales off to a bad start .. Rob Howley, a long standing coach and Gatland ally has been sent home to face 'irregular betting activity charges' .. the tournament is wide open .. however I expect the usual suspects, New Zealand, South Africa, England and Australia to get to the semis .. if the draw allows that is
    Is "irregular betting activity" where the punter wins?
  • Just looked it up and see we're playing the USA next week.... I didn't even know America played Rugby lol
    The USA were the reigning Olympic champions until Fiji won the sevens last time out.

They won the gold medal the last time it was held, in Paris in 1924.
  • McBobbin said:
    Probably not worth me putting a cash bet on France to accompany my sweepstake then? They are always a team who can get to the semis on a good day
    The good days for France seem well in the past.  They've been poor for quite some time.
  • England beat them 44-8 in February
  • Just looked it up and see we're playing the USA next week.... I didn't even know America played Rugby lol
    The USA were the reigning Olympic champions until Fiji won the sevens last time out.

Totally off subject but aren't France the reigning Olympic cricket champions? 
  • Am going out for 3 weeks. Seeing the French game then travelling around to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Hakone and some beach resort for a few days. Due to leave day after Semis but will stay on if we make the final. 

Cannot wait as always wanted to go to Japan.
    I hope you enjoy your trip.  It's a fascinating place but try to get out of the cities if you can.
  • Am going out for 3 weeks. Seeing the French game then travelling around to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Hakone and some beach resort for a few days. Due to leave day after Semis but will stay on if we make the final. 

Japan is a fascinating place. Lovely serene people.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Just looked it up and see we're playing the USA next week.... I didn't even know America played Rugby lol

Not quite, in the 1900 Olympics the one and only game was between GB and France, with GB winning. It's worth checking out the score card
  • McBobbin said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Just looked it up and see we're playing the USA next week.... I didn't even know America played Rugby lol

Not quite, in the 1900 Olympics the one and only game was between GB and France, with GB winning. It's worth checking out the score card
    Weren't the French team basically all British ex-pats? 
  • Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:
    Didn't see a discussion for this so thought I'd start one. 

Any thoughts, people going to be watching? I don't follow rugby beyond the five nations and world cups, so have no idea what's going on. I noticed Ireland are world no. 1 though I can't see them winning it. I've just got France in the company sweepstake, so they definitely won't be winning!
    *Six Nations 

:wink:
  • edited September 2019
    Chizz said:
    McBobbin said:
    Didn't see a discussion for this so thought I'd start one. 

Any thoughts, people going to be watching? I don't follow rugby beyond the five nations and world cups, so have no idea what's going on. I noticed Ireland are world no. 1 though I can't see them winning it. I've just got France in the company sweepstake, so they definitely won't be winning!
    *Six Nations 

:wink:

• I'm not a huge rugby fan, but major sporting world cups always perk up my interest.  Will be watching 

I hope you enjoy your trip.  It's a fascinating place but try to get out of the cities if you can.

To be honest I think we'll be too tired (and emotional) to get outside really. Going to Japan is a life ambition, am so excited.
  • Opening Ceremony is quite cool, loads of videos of rugby and Japan projected onto a model of Mount Fuji. 
  • Nervy start from Japan. 
  • argentina regularly play against a lot better nations than england and france and i think that sets them up well. 
  • I know nothing about rugby but Russia -40 points at EVENS before the game seemed a nice price.
  • Japan seem to have regressed since the last world cup. Not a good sign for the tournament a whole imo.
  • I know nothing about rugby but Russia -40 points at EVENS before the game seemed a nice price.
    They are starting to blow out of their arses. Japan will hammer them in the 2nd half.
  • Sponsored links:

• what is the point of having scrums anymore? the russians have had a few and the just chuck the ball to the back of their lot. you might as well start with a quick free kick. 
  • The Japan team don't look very Japanese 
    They are starting to blow out of their arses. Japan will hammer them in the 2nd half.
    if they are even half as fit as the commentators have been saying then they could really destroy the russians in the last 20 minutes. already getting the better of them towards the end of this half. 
  • edited September 2019
    Japan had a good coach last tournament
  • Was never a rugby fan until my son started playing aged 6, he's now 14 and we went to a few games at the last world cup. Love it now, a great game. Would absolutely love to be going to Japan always wanted to go there and will make sure I do one day. Son is gutted all the games are on during the day though. USA might do okay this tournament, it's the fastest growing sport over there and they have some players playing at a high level, unfortunately they have the hardest group so even being competitive will be a big step up for them, saw them get absolutely smashed at the last one by South Africa at the Olympic Stadium.
  • argentina regularly play against a lot better nations than england and france and i think that sets them up well. 
    Will do well to get to the QFs I reckon. If they competed in the 6 nations instead of Italy they would find themselves finishing bottom.
    Turned out to be great value.
  • Japan had a good coach last tournament
    Will England have a good coach this tournament?
  • The All Blacks have never been beaten in a World Cup pool game.  A bit of added interest for the Springbok game today.
  • The All Blacks have never been beaten in a World Cup pool game.  A bit of added interest for the Springbok game today.
    Also heard a stat today that no team beaten in a pool game has won a World Cup. 

Fancy South Africa to turn them over.