Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nazi defence of The Channel Islands ......WW2.

I am currently watching a TV documentary and I am gob smacked at what I am seeing and hearing, you learn something new everyday.
Hitler had a completely illogical thought process regarding the Islands bordering on obsession.
It became “the most heavily defended place on earth”......now I bet not many of you would have thought that for one moment, I know I didn’t.
13 miles of underground tunnels were dug.....countless anti aircraft and gun in placements built, it was virtually impregnable, with an inordinately large garrison of thousands of troops that would have been much better used elsewhere on the mainland.
It even had a small concentration camp run by The SS where around 4,000 prisoners were put to death!
Much to the irritation of his military chiefs and advisers, he was convinced that we would retake the Islands and use it as a platform to invade the rest of Europe, no amount of reasoning with him could change his mind and a small fortune was spent on armaments and  defensive measures.
The bloke was mad as a box of frogs, not a shot in anger was ever fired!

Comments

• There are many many derelict fortifications on the islands - brilliant places to visit - underground hospitals - museums - I recommend the Channel Islands as a place to holiday, as blokes (and the ladies if they wish !!) can go off at look at war stuff, plus the beaches are superb for those that want to sunbath

My son has been badgering me to go back there next year and we are looking at doing just that 

• Having spent 6 months working in Guernsey, I would add that the quality of restaurants is extremely high, I didn't have a single bad meal in all that time.
  • Spent a lot of time in Jersey and Guernsey at my last job, both fantastic places.
  • Don't tell him your name Horsfield9.
  • Jersey war tunnel museum is well worth doing if you're interested in this kind of thing
     A fascinating look at a part of the war I had no idea about.
  • Must of watched the same or similar documentary. Abandoned places I think it was. Great series. I also was astonished by the size of the underground network. 
  • first went 50 years ago with parents been back several times love the Channel Islands.

If your in Jersey go to the Dog and Sausage in St Helier its run by proper Charlton.Upstairs bar full of Charlton stuff
  • Sponsored links:

• I read recently that the reason Hitler gave the order for Allied commandos to be shot was because of a raid on the Channel Islands that went wrong  and the captured Germans were found shot with their hands tied. How true i don't know.
  • Ian Hislop made a very good documentary about the Channel Islands during the war a few years ago.
  • Anyone interested in the second world war and the Channel Islands should research the extraordinary life of Eddie Chapman, aka Agent Zigzag. 
  • Chizz said:
    Anyone interested in the second world war and the Channel Islands should research the extraordinary life of Eddie Chapman, aka Agent Zigzag. 
    Chizz said:
    Anyone interested in the second world war and the Channel Islands should research the extraordinary life of Eddie Chapman, aka Agent Zigzag. 

saw a film, Triple Cross about him (loosely) a long while back .. con man, villain, double agent and patriot

• Chizz said:
    Agent Zig Zag by Ben Macintyre is required reading on the subject.