Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dennis Edwards RIP

A mate just emailed me saying he'd heard Dennis has passed away.

Anyone know anymore details. Very sad news if true.

Comments

• Options
    Sad news, remember him well. RIP Daisy.
  • Options
    Sadly former Charlton player, Dennis Edwards passed away last Friday morning 13/09/2019 at the age of 82, after losing a short but courageous battle for recovery
    from a bad fall he had had the week prior.

This resulted in a cardiac arrest from which he did not recover. 

RIP
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Sad news indeed.

I believe his grandson posts (has posted previously) here.

Condolences to you and the rest of the family should you read this.
  • Options
    RIP Dennis, was a good player, enjoyed watching him play
  • Options
    RIP.
    A fine player.
  • Options
    Sad news,Dennis was a lovely player,very good in the air.Good bloke too,once gave me and my ,then girlfriend ,a lift up Church Lane after a game in the reserves.
  • Options

RIP - sad news indeed. Some special memories.

• Options
    That is a real shame Saw him play many a time. RIP Dennis
  • Options
    RIP Dennis
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is that ‘daisy’ Edwards?
  • Options
    RIP Dennis
  • Options
    RIP.......Dennis......RIP.
  • Options
    Very good player was Dennis, he was as good in the air as he was on the ball, I would like to give condolences to his friends and family. RIP Dennis
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    A regular when I first started as an Addick fan back in the very early 60s ..
     I consider that he was, years before the term was en vogue, all too often a scapegoat for any poor team performance, hence the nickname 'Daisy' .. 
     A member of a very good team at that tme, he was a clever inside forward in the days when referees allowed little protection to clever ball players and knee high tackles were considered fair play .. I especially remember Don Revie's Leeds, Bremner, Hunter, Cooper, Jackie Charlton and all, coming to the Valley and trying to kick Edwards off the park. They did not succeed. Alas, in the same very close game (we were vying for the top spot with Leeds), Dennis missed a penalty. Such is the life of a footballer 

R I P Gentleman Dennis
  • Options
    So sorry to hear this. Like others have said, he was one of the players when I first started going to the Valley with my dad in the very early 60s. Thanks for the very fond memories, Dennis. RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad news
    Saw a lot of Daisy - wonderful in the air and always worked hard-a real team player. Memory plays tricks but I seem to recall a towering headed goal at Villa Park - perhaps 4th or 5th Round of FA Cup
    RIP
  • Options
    A regular when I first started as an Addick fan back in the very early 60s ..
     I consider that he was, years before the term was en vogue, all too often a scapegoat for any poor team performance, hence the nickname 'Daisy' .. 
     A member of a very good team at that tme, he was a clever inside forward in the days when referees allowed little protection to clever ball players and knee high tackles were considered fair play .. I especially remember Don Revie's Leeds, Bremner, Hunter, Cooper, Jackie Charlton and all, coming to the Valley and trying to kick Edwards off the park. They did not succeed. Alas, in the same very close game (we were vying for the top spot with Leeds), Dennis missed a penalty. Such is the life of a footballer 

R I P Gentleman Dennis
    He was called Daisy because he had a habit of often falling over and ending up on the grass........’amongst the daisies.’
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP Dennis
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    RIP Dennis you played with a smile on your face and scored a few which this young fan at the time much appreciated, thanks for the memories,

Edit; Dennis played 187 league and cup games for us from 1957/8 to 1964/5 seasons scoring 66 times which was slightly better than a goal every three games. He was our top scorer in the league with 24 in 1960/61.
  • Options
    He was a lovely man, he always had time for the younger fans.
    It was my second season in 64/65 and we were playing Preston I think,
    Mike Kenning had just missed a penalty;however Dennis smashed in the next one. I think we won 3-0.
    Nothing remarkable about that I know, strange how certain events stick in your mind.
    Rip Dennis.
  • Options
    RIP Dennis
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Sad news
    Saw a lot of Daisy - wonderful in the air and always worked hard-a real team player. Memory plays tricks but I seem to recall a towering headed goal at Villa Park - perhaps 4th or 5th Round of FA Cup
    RIP
    According to the record books @Isawlearyplay he never scored in the FA cup. He notched 5 in the League Cup including a hat trick in the home 4-1 win over Stoke 1961/2. The goal in FA Cup 5th round  tie 2-1 away defeat to Villa was scored by Brian Kinsey in that same season. Hinton had Derek Dougan in his pocket that day and kept slide tackling him but got booked eventually due to the latter's theatrics.
  • Options
    I am very sorry to hear of his passing away. He was,I believe(I'll need to check the programme)in the first Charlton team I watched,a 3-0 home win over Bury. I certainly saw him play a number of times and liked him a lot. 
    My condolences to his family.