Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Referee today...

Second time he has reffed for us this season. First time was in the 2-2 against Barnsley.

His average score that day (from Statbank) was 5.50. Do we think he'll get better or worse today?

Comments

• Considering I gave him a zero and have probably skewed the data, probabaly lower
  • edited September 2019
    He was reffing in non-league two years ago.

Last season he was bouncing between League One and League Two.

This year he seems to be in the Championship predominantly - bizarre rise considering his reluctance to let the game flow and hesitancy to punish time wasting.
  • Bottled it today. Davis took Gallagher clean out just a few minutes after his altercation with Pearce. Yellow card all day... not given from that absolute fanny in black.
  • edited September 2019
    He was reffing in non-league two years ago.

Last season he was bouncing between League One and League Two.

This year he seems to be in the Championship predominantly - bizarre rise considering his reluctance to let the game flow and hesitancy to punish time wasting.
    I agree,  the ref seemed reluctant to let the game flow or play the advantage. 
  • Would love to know why Lockyer was done for a foul in the second half

Completely out muscled their player for a header, flattened the Birmingham player in the process but just easily won the ball

Thats just one of the errors he made today!!
  • I thought Bowyer showed a lot of restraint. He is supposed to be a hot head but I would have reacted worse than he did. He got sent off anyway. The laws of the game should cater for extreme ungentlemanly conduct which the Birmingham player/coach was responsible for.
  • Also blew up for Chuks, in possession, their player got hurt in a failed tackle but got a foul.
    Yeah nearly forgot about that one... Aneke kicks the ball, player comes in for a tackle (doesnt get the ball) but wins a foul

How??? - Our player has clearly just kicked the ball rather than missing it completely!!
  • I thought Bowyer showed a lot of restraint. He is supposed to be a hot head but I would have reacted worse than he did. He got sent off anyway. The laws of the game should cater for extreme ungentlemanly conduct which the Birmingham player/coach was responsible for.
    "Ungentlemanly conduct"? That phrase in the Laws of the Game was replaced many years ago by "Unsporting Behaviour". Please keep up if you are going to comment upon refereeing matters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Capitano said:
    Bottled it today. Davis took Gallagher clean out just a few minutes after his altercation with Pearce. Yellow card all day... not given from that absolute fanny in black.
    He played advantage then forgot to give Davis his second yellow at the end of that play - scandalous and he was out totallyo control for the last quarter of the game. It's not why we lost but absolutely unacceptable performance from him. He looked so far out of his depth it was embarrassing. They threw a balloon the pitch and Bow gets sent off. And what about their left back going down when the plays was 40 yards away - Oscar winning performance to get a head bandage!
  • Failed to control the game - allowed Bham to keep breaking the flow.
  • Thought the ref had a shocker today, but i refused to let the ref or Charlton ruin the day despite the fact we lost.

It was my wife’s birthday, the sun was shining and she brought her 2 brothers, young niece and mum who has dementia along, yeah the ref was crap (imo) but sometimes there are bigger things than football going on, good job I was wearing sunglasses as I had a few tears in my eye when the old Charlton showreel started up on the big screen, and it brought back memories of days gone by with former family members who had gone to matches at the valley with.

I must confess I did love seeing Johnnie Robinson, Johnnie Fortune, and Darren Bent again (and  many others) well done Charlton for organising it.
  • Constantly slowed the game in the second half, mostly due to his lack of fitness.
  • Thought he was poor all round, for both teams.
  • As I said not why we lost but hope there was a referees assesser there.
  • edited September 2019
    Their player should have been off for rugby tackling Pearce but only got a yellow and then didn't get a second yellow for taking Gallagher out. A minute later one of theirs got booked for something nowhere near as bad. 

Very inconsistent. Also didn't give a damn if freekicks were taken from where they were supposed to and when he played the advantage, he only let it run for about half a second. We should have had a freekick on the edge of the box but got a throw in.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2019
    Their guy had about three digs at Pearce in same incident as well. Serious foul play.
  • Seb has already issued an apology to the club on facebook after being told off by a steward for abusing the ref!
    The comments on that are making for some fantastic reading 😂 if anyone has the right to slag off the ref, it's Seb
  • Their player should have been off for rugby tackling Pearce but only got a yellow and then didn't get a second yellow for taking Gallagher out. A minute later one of theirs got booked for something nowhere near as bad. 

Very inconsistent. Also didn't give a damn if freekicks were taken from where they were supposed to and when he played the advantage, he only let it run for about half a second. We should have had a freekick on the edge of the box but got a throw in.
    That one really annoyed me as we were in a good position. It was a straight easy decision. Definitely a yellow and def a free kick and def should have brought pay back. Advantage was about 2 seconds. So from a position we may have a chance of scoring with a free kick, we have to take a poxy throe. Where was the justice in that, If I am right that is their no 19,  should have also picked up 2 other yellows for his bring players down. Indeed another incident on the half way line, First referring couldn't decide to give the FK and half heartly we stopped thinking he was going to give it then all of a sudden waves "play on". 
  • Sage said:
    PeterGage said:
    I thought Bowyer showed a lot of restraint. He is supposed to be a hot head but I would have reacted worse than he did. He got sent off anyway. The laws of the game should cater for extreme ungentlemanly conduct which the Birmingham player/coach was responsible for.
    "Ungentlemanly conduct"? That phrase in the Laws of the Game was replaced many years ago by "Unsporting Behaviour". Please keep up if you are going to comment upon refereeing matters.
    Rather than digging people out at their use of language when they clearly meant the same thing as unsporting behaviour, why don’t you ever enlighten us on your opinion on the referees performance?

As a referee myself, I am conscious of the fact that it’s a difficult job, but I’m not a fool to release the system is flawed and there is a serious lack of genuinely quality officials as well as a lack of officials in general. And that’s why we will continuously get poor performances. I also know that there are some ego’s involved and that does the game no good.

If you are not allowed to criticise any of the officials performances, it’s a joke and how are we ever going to improve respect when the decisions many of these referees are making exhibit incompetency and lack of understanding of the laws of the game and how football is played.

If someone is inept or not to the standard required in any walk of life, they’re going to be told and then ought to have an action plan in place to improve. Officials are no different. However, in football, because of the situation, poor officials are being rewarded and it’s damaging our game.

I am not saying he is the reason we lost today. But I am saying he was crap. 
    As a "home boycotter" (but attend away games), I am not in a position to comment upon the referees performance today; equally I am not in a position to defend him either.

The game is, of course, refereed by human beings, and as in all walks of life, mistakes will be made by human beings. I can never understand the fact that cricket umpires never get pillored in the same way that football referees do. I guess it is down to the level of stress that both football supporters and players are put in for 90 minutes  - a guess on my part 

I would disagree with you with regard to your statement that Premier League referees and EFL referees do not understand the Laws of the Game; IMO that is nonsense. 

Finally, may I respectfully ask what game -changing decisions did the ref get wrong today (ie disallowed goals, missed penalties, missed sendings off etc). Genuine question, as I was not there.

Finishing by saying again, I am not defending the referee today - I wasnt there.

Enjoy the rest of your evening 
  • All evens out over the course of the season 
  • Do you ref boys ever get offers regarding results?

everyone seems to bet on everything these days.

for what it’s worth, he’s not the worst ref we’ve had at the valley
  • PeterGage said:
    I thought Bowyer showed a lot of restraint. He is supposed to be a hot head but I would have reacted worse than he did. He got sent off anyway. The laws of the game should cater for extreme ungentlemanly conduct which the Birmingham player/coach was responsible for.
    Please watch the game if you are going to comment upon referee’s performances 

Sorry Peter, I respect and value your comments as someone who has performed at a very high level but your insistence in belittling anyone who dares to criticise any of the officials does you no favours.

(and you have a nice evening too :-) )
  • PeterGage said:
    Sage said:
    PeterGage said:
    Rather than digging people out at their use of language when they clearly meant the same thing as unsporting behaviour, why don’t you ever enlighten us on your opinion on the referees performance?

As a referee myself, I am conscious of the fact that it’s a difficult job, but I’m not a fool to release the system is flawed and there is a serious lack of genuinely quality officials as well as a lack of officials in general. And that’s why we will continuously get poor performances. I also know that there are some ego’s involved and that does the game no good.

If you are not allowed to criticise any of the officials performances, it’s a joke and how are we ever going to improve respect when the decisions many of these referees are making exhibit incompetency and lack of understanding of the laws of the game and how football is played.

If someone is inept or not to the standard required in any walk of life, they’re going to be told and then ought to have an action plan in place to improve. Officials are no different. However, in football, because of the situation, poor officials are being rewarded and it’s damaging our game.

I am not saying he is the reason we lost today. But I am saying he was crap. 
    As a "home boycotter" (but attend away games), I am not in a position to comment upon the referees performance today; equally I am not in a position to defend him either.

The game is, of course, refereed by human beings, and as in all walks of life, mistakes will be made by human beings. I can never understand the fact that cricket umpires never get pillored in the same way that football referees do. I guess it is down to the level of stress that both football supporters and players are put in for 90 minutes  - a guess on my part 

I would disagree with you with regard to your statement that Premier League referees and EFL referees do not understand the Laws of the Game; IMO that is nonsense. 

Finally, may I respectfully ask what game -changing decisions did the ref get wrong today (ie disallowed goals, missed penalties, missed sendings off etc). Genuine question, as I was not there.

Finishing by saying again, I am not defending the referee today - I wasnt there.

Enjoy the rest of your evening 
    Of course the game is refereed by human beings and mistakes will happen, just as in any walk of life. However, there is a difference between mistakes happening and the same kind of ‘mistakes’ or decisions being made which either do not follow along with the laws of the game, or they do not make any logical sense.

As you were not at the game today, I would like to refer you to the points made above regarding his decisions today. They may not have had a defining moment such as a penalty decision, but an accumulation of decisions contributed to the events of the game today. For example, he should have sent off David Davis as he fouled Gallagher late, that’s a yellow, he also got into a scuffle with Pearce which was a yellow, and he got booked for the latter. The referee missed a number of handballs, gave a free kick to Birmingham when we had possession and their player came in late on Aneke, completely ignored a late challenge on Williams but gave a free kick for a challenge where we won the ball just moments later, and then also about the Bowyer situation. A good referee goes unnoticed and has control of the game throughout.

You are entitled to disagree with me when I say many do not know and understand the laws of the game. But from my own eyes, I can see they exhibited just that they don’t. The laws of the game are continuously changing and many, many referees act as if they are going along with whatever they feel best at the time. They do not think rationally and think about applying the laws of the game in the correct way. We are a handful of games into the season and have seen so many performances and decisions which portray incompetency and a lack of understanding of the laws and applying them, both in the Premier League and EFL. We shouldn’t be having the vast array of ‘mistakes’ in the professional game if they genuinely understand and apply the laws correctly.