Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"I'm Asian, female, gay, and I love football!"

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Chunes said:
    The true British approach: If we don't talk about problems, they will just go away. 
    Not at all. But constantly highlighting  aspects of identity that are apparently completely irrelevant appears to be the opposite of progressive. 

Is there an issue with Charlton not being inclusive or welcoming to women or Asians or gay people?

Rather than the sarcy retort perhaps discuss in terms of educating me in the need for it. Snarky replies just close down the debate/ polarise people coming from different viewpoints.

I said I'm probably ignorant on it so invited some understanding.
    What I would say, unless you know what anyone has been through as an Asian, gay, female football supporting fan, it is probably not your position to comment.

Maybe she took lots of abuse at Anfield. I don't know that she did, but she might. Maybe she feels more comfortable coming to The Valley. But clearly, there's still an issue that concerns her, because she's not comfortable with her other half coming to The Valley with her.

That, in itself, shows there's still things that need to be done...
  • Options
    I am sorry who gives a shit? I saw this pop up on social media yesterday, why do we need to make a big thing about any of this, its just another person who supports a football club, it doesn't make a different on her race/sex/sexual preference. This is boring, big deal...
    How many Asian people do you see at the Valley? How many lesbians feel comfortable enough to hold hands walking to the ground?

Until we see a proportional amount of Asians coming and people feel comfortable to just be who they are without getting abuse, it's a very big deal.

My sister is from China, she was adopted at 6 months. She is now 23 and goes maybe once a season, it goes without saying she is in the minority but that's more down to us not being a big club. If we were one of the well known sides we would have more Asian supporters, not that it makes a difference in anyway.

Re: Lesbians, its exactly the same point. If people are Gay, this should not be an issue at all. By highlighting it sometimes we are creating an issue in itself. Not saying we shouldn't raise awareness, but if people treat like anyone else then going forward sometimes that is the best way to make it normality? maybe that's just my approach.

Chunes said:
    The true British approach: If we don't talk about problems, they will just go away. 

Again this is very narrow minded, its not ignorance is bliss.. its more my opinion that sometimes these things are not getting better because its highlighted or voiced, it can actually make it worse as it creates debate and friction. The headline alone makes a massive deal about something which is essentially nothing. Why do we need to label in order to move forward? We can just get on with everyday life accepting people for who they are.
  • Options
    I'm slightly scared to ask for a fear of being a bit ignorant or saying the wrong thing.  What stood out in the headline to me wasn't that she was Asian, female and liked football.  But that she is Asian and gay.   I doubt anyone at the Valley would care about her being Asian or gay, would people even notice?  Is homosexuality frowned upon in the Asian community.  

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Curb_It said:
    I'm slightly scared to ask for a fear of being a bit ignorant or saying the wrong thing.  What stood out in the headline to me wasn't that she was Asian, female and liked football.  But that she is Asian and gay.   I doubt anyone at the Valley would care about her being Asian or gay, would people even notice?  Is homosexuality frowned upon in the Asian community.  

I can only speak for my experience in South East Asia, but yea, hugely frowned upon. I imagine it's even worse in India, due to religious reasons.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I think that not being first generation, helps.

However, considering the still massive number of arranged marriages within the Indian community, I wonder how much support she had from her family to marry her current partner. If they're content, that says a huge amount about them, too.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

It’s hard for anyone to understand what the world looks like through the eyes of women and young girls who are LGBT and in minority communities. Articles like this at least show them there are options open to them, that they don’t have to be ashamed, that there’s nothing to be ashamed of, even if they face shame in their own lives.  

To us that might be obvious and not worth talking about. But we aren’t living their lives. Not everyone thinks that it’s OK and the more people speaking publicly that is, the more it becomes OK. 

Forgive the sarcy retort, there are just some posters on here who constantly complain about people being too easily offended, yet are so offended by anything that seemingly excludes the white British male. 

To be fair, I do not think that it is a question of offense, rather what is good for society. 'Another, perfectly normal human being chooses to support CAFC' - great, I am delighted, but for me it is better to think in those terms rather than put the focus on how very different someone is from someone else.

We need to be focusing on the fact that people are just people rather than brandishing around the labels to make sure we continue to focus on our differences. I find that approach very divisive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Yes.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    In female sport, there is no problem with the players or spectators being Gay or from different ethnic backgrounds in 2019.
    The ex England Captains in Hockey and football being married to females hardly raised an eyebrow. ( When England won Gold in Hockey so wasn't low profile)

I'm not sure if this is funny or sad, but I found it amusing but then I'm white(but well tanned in the summer !) and straight.

Charlton playing at Brighton a few years back, from memory either the Hamer worldie save in last minute or the Igor double when Dunk scored the late equaliser (I still feel gutted about that !)
    Seeing "We can see you holding hands"' being sang by a gay Charlton fan to Brighton fans ! (Who may have just a tad more gay fans than Cafc)

As I know from performing spoken word in various venues a sense of humour helps to show up the bigots and homophobic folk BUT Alan Carr, Tom Allen and Julien Clary have shown that you can make a very good living doing a camp act. Hopefully people were laughing with them and not at them.
    Or possibly switching off if didn't find funny.

Being different makes the world more interesting ?

One day I hope being Gay won't have to be promoted, but will just be accepted. Still some way to go in the Male football world.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Female and gay, most definitely B. 
    Its a bit like being a female in Ireland back in the day. 
    You're expected to marry a man who your family picks/likes, have lots of kids and look after his parents when they’re elderly. 

I think shes been very brave personally. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I am sorry who gives a shit? I saw this pop up on social media yesterday, why do we need to make a big thing about any of this, its just another person who supports a football club, it doesn't make a different on her race/sex/sexual preference. This is boring, big deal...
    How many Asian people do you see at the Valley? How many lesbians feel comfortable enough to hold hands walking to the ground?

Until we see a proportional amount of Asians coming and people feel comfortable to just be who they are without getting abuse, it's a very big deal.

My sister is from China, she was adopted at 6 months. She is now 23 and goes maybe once a season, it goes without saying she is in the minority but that's more down to us not being a big club. If we were one of the well known sides we would have more Asian supporters, not that it makes a difference in anyway.

Re: Lesbians, its exactly the same point. If people are Gay, this should not be an issue at all. By highlighting it sometimes we are creating an issue in itself. Not saying we shouldn't raise awareness, but if people treat like anyone else then going forward sometimes that is the best way to make it normality? maybe that's just my approach.

Chunes said:

Again this is very narrow minded, its not ignorance is bliss.. its more my opinion that sometimes these things are not getting better because its highlighted or voiced, it can actually make it worse as it creates debate and friction. The headline alone makes a massive deal about something which is essentially nothing. Why do we need to label in order to move forward? We can just get on with everyday life accepting people for who they are.

But it still is an issue in certain communities. Celebrating the LGBT members of those communities is an important step in taking the shame away.

And besides, I don't think it's really for us to say what people should and shouldn't celebrate about their own identities.
  • Options
    You're a tosser and so are the three people who liked your comment. Did you bother to read the article?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    You're a tosser and so are the three people who liked your comment. Did you bother to read the article?

I didn't read it, sorry but the title alone made me not bother. I know its a bit hypocritical

No need for the name calling, chill out I haven't called anyone out. I have just made a point, agreed I should probably read the full article to give a proper opinion.

• Options
    Chunes said:

Chunes said:

But it still is an issue in certain communities. Celebrating the LGBT members of those communities is an important step in taking the shame away.

And besides, I don't think it's really for us to say what people should and shouldn't celebrate about their own identities.

Of course its an issue, I am not saying it isn't. I am merely pointing out how we are always inclined to label everything/everyone.

I even put my opinion is I would just treat everyone the same regardless of background etc.

• Options
    I wonder if her family are embarrassed about her being a Charlton fan?

Good positive article and a brave young lady.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

I didn't read it, sorry but the title alone made me not bother. I know its a bit hypocritical

No need for the name calling, chill out I haven't called anyone out. I have just made a point, agreed I should probably read the full article to give a proper opinion.

Fair enough, you haven't come across in a good light. Read the article and have a think.
  • Options
    I am pleased she feels welcome and enjoys coming to Charlton. I am sorry that she does not (yet says he optimistically) feel able to bring her wife to games.

That said I would feel sorry if anybody, regardless of colour, creed or sexual orientation, felt unable to bring a family member to a game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    I wonder if her family are embarrassed about her being a Charlton fan?

Good positive article and a brave young lady.
    Asian family meeting in the old Kent road:

"Mum and Dad I need to tell you some important stuff and I hope you understand, I'm gay and I want you to meet my girlfriend, I can't agree to the arranged marriage to a man."

"Darling this is 2019, and we accept what ever you want, No worries."

"Mum and Dad you are the best Parents in the world, and by the way I have bought a Charlton Athletic Season Ticket."

"WTF we are Spanners and no one likes us, the Den is the only place for us. You have brought shame on our family and will never be able to look New Cross nutty Norman in the eyes again. Go and play with the trains.

Ps. This is not the young woman in the article.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:

Fair enough, you haven't come across in a good light. Read the article and have a think.

I cant get on it, on the Work PC keeps freezing. Sorry
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Chunes said:

Chunes said:

Of course its an issue, I am not saying it isn't. I am merely pointing out how we are always inclined to label everything/everyone.

I even put my opinion is I would just treat everyone the same regardless of background etc.

There's a lot about identity politics I don't like and we would probably agree on. Where we disagree is where you said that we create issues by highlighting things like LGBT. In this case, highlighting it might actually help towards solving an issue. 

I struggle to think of times when it might cause harm by talking about it. It doesn't divide us. Lots of straight people go to Pride, for instance. But I do hear your argument a lot and I get that it fundamentally comes from a good place.

I just imagine what it must be like to be an LGBT person and be told not to celebrate your identity as a member of that community because everyone is the same. It's not much of a reason and people should be able to celebrate whatever they want. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Chunes said:

There's a lot about identity politics I don't like and we would probably agree on. Where we disagree is where you said that we create issues by highlighting things like LGBT. In this case, highlighting it might actually help towards solving an issue. 

I struggle to think of times when it might cause harm by talking about it. It doesn't divide us. Lots of straight people go to Pride, for instance. But I do hear your argument a lot and I get that it fundamentally comes from a good place.

I just imagine what it must be like to be an LGBT person and be told not to celebrate your identity as a member of that community because everyone is the same. It's not much of a reason and people should be able to celebrate whatever they want. 

I agree with most part in what you say, especially about celebrating/ and highlighting issues. The only part I slightly disagree is the plan of attack, ways to move forward. I think you need to highlight it and raise awareness, however in some cases it doesn't help. More specifically headlines like this one(Yes I still haven't read it all apologise I cant view it on my work PC)

I think we are pretty much we are on the same page bar the ways to deal with it, which is understandable if it was that simple it would have been sorted before now.

My main thing was, to me I don't think anything different of anyone and will always treat people on their own merit irrespective of gender/ race/ sexual preference. 

For those that look down or frown upon people based on prejudice I would always try to educate them and not turn a blind eye.

• Options
    Good read.  She comes across very well.
    Just started following on Twitter and had brief conversation .. seems nice person and articulate to go with it
  • Options

Count me in!
  • Options
    Profound social change (eg, children's rights ,suffrage , apartheid , human rights) that have challenged injustice , and confronted bigots has always most successfully been achieved by saying nothing to anyone ever about the issues involved ............ said no-one ever  
  • Options
    Good report on Football Focus today. Worth seeking out if you haven't seen it already.