Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer to Huddersfield?!

Comments

• Options
    At the risk of playing up to a certain reputation...

A bit of work with 'real time trains' and yesterday's fixture list -

Going to watch  Crewe v Villa or (at a pinch) Preston v Hull seem possible with leaving Euston round 4.15
  • Options
    Can only see 2 bookies offering odds on him so sounds like someone has stuck a grand or something silly on bowyer and others have started taking a punt.

Mourinho was 7/2 favourite for the Newcastle job at one point and swear I read the highest bet they had was £200
  • Options
    Bowyer 3/10 now on skybet
  • Options
    jac52 said:
    Can only see 2 bookies offering odds on him so sounds like someone has stuck a grand or something silly on bowyer and others have started taking a punt.

Mourinho was 7/2 favourite for the Newcastle job at one point and swear I read the highest bet they had was £200
    Bookmakers use Next Manager markets as a cheap way of publicising their company - how many times do you hear their PR spokesman talking about "good money from faces for such and such" etc etc.

They don't actually have to take a bean on these and the bloke who rings up and asks for a grand will merely be giving relatively  "free information" because it is highly unlikely that the punter would get that much on at a price - purely because this is one area where, potentially, the punter might know more than the bookie. Such a bet might be struck at prohibitive odds - and we are talking odds on. Which then leads to other people backing that Manager at even shorter odds - until the next rumour surfaces and the vicious circle starts all over again.

I've had two experiences of dabbling in these markets in a meaningful way - both on Betfair (Exchange). One cost me the most I have ever lost on one market simply because I refused to believe that the Manager that was ultimately appointed was the right fit. He proved me correct because he was sacked within three months but that was little comfort financially.

The other time I just kept laying any potential Manager that hit a certain price. You can only do this if you think that the market will run and run and not in situations where the new Manager has been interviewed before the last one has been sacked. From memory I believe that five different candidates actually went odds on. 

The funniest experience (well it wasn't actually funny for the the person in question) I have witnessed of these markets, however, occurred some 15 years ago to a chap I used to work with. He told me that his cousin was going to be appointed Manager of a certain high profile Club. It wasn't that I didn't believe him but at the time I wasn't willing to risk my hard earned on something that could go so very wrong.

My work colleague was, however, absolutely adamant that it was happening - so much so that he downloaded money from credit cards into his Betfair account and "drip fed" it into the market in question by backing his cousin and laying other candidates.

One particular Friday he got a message from his uncle that the Club wanted to interview his cousin again over the weekend as there seemed to be a stumbling block. He panicked and bailed out leaving him with a book that was a nasty shade of "red" - he had gone from potentially winning five figures to losing a grand whatever the outcome.

Guess what? Any so called "stumbling block" was ironed out at that meeting and his cousin was appointed on the Monday! 

• Options
    He’s been at that price for hours.

Looking forward to his press conference tomorrow, I’m sure he’ll be asked the question.
  • Options
    He’s been at that price for hours.

Looking forward to his press conference tomorrow, I’m sure he’ll be asked the question.
    If they cancel his press conference, then we have our answer.
  • Options
    Please see above for my explanation but I've just checked and the maximum available to win is £500 on any of the candidates - so £1,666.67 at 3/10 on LB but only £100 on Cowley at 5/1, £35.71 on Hughton at 14/1 etc etc
  • Options
    Please see above for my explanation but I've just checked and the maximum available to win is £500 on any of the candidates - so £1,666.67 at 3/10 on LB but only £100 on Cowley at 5/1, £35.71 on Hughton at 14/1 etc etc
    Wow, all that data makes me...ummm..

• Options
    uhhhhh....help?

Absolute bollocks.

No one on here with any connections to the club has heard anything but some bell end wearing what looks like a bum bag over his shoulder reckons he's got inside info. Ok then.
    https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/fan-banned-for-smoke-grenade-133662/

Same guy?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cawley has spoken 
  • Options
    edited August 2019

This is the person who takes a photo from the empty block in the east stand and crops out the East stand, the partially full section of The Covered End as well the empty block in the West then posts “ It’s nice the see The Valley full again” 😉

• Options
    uhhhhh....help?

Absolute bollocks.

No one on here with any connections to the club has heard anything but some bell end wearing what looks like a bum bag over his shoulder reckons he's got inside info. Ok then.

Very odd, attention-seeking behaviour. That banning order has obviously left him with a lot of spare time on his hands...
  • Options
    Something we as fans are going to have get used to, Bowyer will be linked to a lot of jobs now, his stock has gone up even more so due to our start. Lee will be another Curbs, in the running and favourite for all sorts of jobs. 

Curbs stayed though - but we were in the Prem and he was one of the highest paid managers.

The way it's going I would want Lee to stay for years but I wouldn't blame him for advancing his career at some point.

• Options
    Something we as fans are going to have get used to, Bowyer will be linked to a lot of jobs now, his stock has gone up even more so due to our start. Lee will be another Curbs, in the running and favourite for all sorts of jobs. 
    Agreed. Especially in January when clubs make changes and the new incoming manager can actually make his own immediate signings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Curbs stayed though - but we were in the Prem and he was one of the highest paid managers.

The way it's going I would want Lee to stay for years but I wouldn't blame him for advancing his career at some point.

I agree and he’s going to be linked to many Champ clubs and maybe a couple of prem clubs. 

But he had the chance to walk in the summer with a decent reputation and his head held high. The only Champ clubs who sack their manager will be underachieving, like Huddersfield off the back of a relegation. Look at Jones and Stoke. They are crazy jobs and I can’t see Bowyer taking over another Champ club except Les. 

The one I’m worried about is West Ham. I think he would go there if they struggle. Lose lose because I can’t stand them and don’t want them to do well but for our sake I hope they don’t sack Pellegrini. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I agree and he’s going to be linked to many Champ clubs and maybe a couple of prem clubs. 

But he had the chance to walk in the summer with a decent reputation and his head held high. The only Champ clubs who sack their manager will be underachieving, like Huddersfield off the back of a relegation. Look at Jones and Stoke. They are crazy jobs and I can’t see Bowyer taking over another Champ club except Les. 

The one I’m worried about is West Ham. I think he would go there if they struggle. Lose lose because I can’t stand them and don’t want them to do well but for our sake I hope they don’t sack Pellegrini. 
    Its still Leeds that I'm worried about

Just listen to Bowyer when he talks about them!! - If they dont go up then Bielsa is off, only hope is we're the ones who pinch promotion from them
  • Options

Every manager like every player has a price and an eye for bigger and better opportunities at the right time.

Ultimately a bigger club may well offer Lee Bowyer the right financial package and THE right opportunity.

No disrespect to Huddersfield they are a very decent club who having just travelled their own exciting journey seem to have unfortunately lost their way on their return. Yet for anyone to take over any club just a few weeks into the new season where all the squad construct, playing style, fitness preparation etc. has been done to someone else's remit is very far from ideal.

How long will it take to turn the culture round, build in the new styles and disciplines even before you have to consider having to wait 4 months before drafting in changes of personnel.

Wagner brought in players to play his unique style. He and it worked wonders until people analysed how to impact their playing style. It was classic second PL season syndrome and while they remained competitive in games in the end they could barely manage a goal.

It was a poisoned chalice for anyone taking over from Wagner. How was anyone to reenergise a squad driven to perform beyond its capabilities by a man steeped in tactical nouse and motivational skills. 

Relegation was guaranteed before Jan Siewert arrived. How as a new manager do you prepare for a Championship League of which you had limited knowledge with players who came to play PL football many of whom who will want out upon relegation? Each football season is like a new project and this was a very different project indeed.

The squad resembles one struggling to cope with the transition to one new manager and now the transition to Championship football with the usual six or seven losses and new additions. At the moment they look a mess. 

Yet how long did Seiwert really have to establish a new momentum? 7 months including a close season.

Equally there is the transition of ownership from Dean Hoyle to the new owner.

There is ultimately no reason they cannot bounce back but in essence the Huddersfield job today in terms of the work to be done with the current nature of the squad at this juncture in the season is unlikely to be attractive to anybody already gainfully employed.

If Bowyers continues to succeed with us through the season there will likely be better opportunities in January or more likely in the close season. He has nothing to lose in committing himself to the task in hand for this season.

He is a few weeks into working on Project Charlton 2019/20 and with others will have invested considerable time and effort in bringing both the project together and getting players and fans to sign into the journey this season.

You can never say never in football but it would have to be exceptional offer for Bowyer to jump ship at this time.

• Options
    @Sid James Fan Club you got a problem and care to explain why you lol'd my comment? Unless of course you think Lee is lying and he is off?

Seem to be controversial by the looks of things as you think Morgan is better than Gallagher, and Cullen is League One standard at best. What world do you live in?
  • Options
    Put to bed......I think?
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    I wont be surprised if Dan Cowley turns them down too - West Brom were after him in the summer too and ended up with Bilic

Got a feeling Cowley is a bit like Tisdale, has a good thing going @ Lincoln and wont move if he can because he knows he could easily end up like Paul Hurst
  • Options
    Sage said:
    @Sid James Fan Club you got a problem and care to explain why you lol'd my comment? Unless of course you think Lee is lying and he is off?

Seem to be controversial by the looks of things as you think Morgan is better than Gallagher, and Cullen is League One standard at best. What world do you live in?
    Firstly had not realised that I had, so have removed it. 
    Secondly, I said we should be developing our own and certainly not supporting Chelsea’s loan nonsense. Dempsey Morgan etc are equally has good but because they are from the Charlton academy they are somehow now being overlooked. I watched these players develop through the ages and have seen them up against Chelsea etc they are 100% equal, they have just had less opportunity and exposure because they are not in a Cat 1 academy. If Morgan was played in his correct position then maybe he would be flying also. I don’t agree with his exclusion from the team match day squad recently and don’t see why Charlton should be signing 2 development level players from West Brom in the same division. Why have an academy?
    Cullen from memory is hardly pulling up trees according to a lot his player ratings and should be judged on that.
    Thirdly it’s a forum and I don’t always agree with your points either.