Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phillips or Amos

Comments

• Options
    Fiiiiiish said:
    He pulled off two brilliant saves though, he played his part. Luck is part of the game and if your luck is In then it keeps the confidence. He wasn't 10/10 of course, but he is a keeper from league 1 who is essentially learning his trade and hasn't cost us a goal. 

He has a lot to learn, but gambling on Amos over him is pointless. 

I thought Pearce and Lockyer were joint motm yesterday, if either one of them had average games yesterday we would have conceded 3 I feel and it wouldn't have been all Dills fault. 
    No such thing as luck.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fiiiiiish said:
    He pulled off two brilliant saves though, he played his part. Luck is part of the game and if your luck is In then it keeps the confidence. He wasn't 10/10 of course, but he is a keeper from league 1 who is essentially learning his trade and hasn't cost us a goal. 

I thought Pearce and Lockyer were joint motm yesterday, if either one of them had average games yesterday we would have conceded 3 I feel and it wouldn't have been all Dills fault. 
    No such thing as luck.
    There was in Blackburn's case

How bloody lucky were they to score the way they did on the opening day!!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fiiiiiish said:

No such thing as luck.
    Sunderland goal at Wembley?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fiiiiiish said:

No such thing as luck.

To be fair - when heading off your line, head upwards. 
  • Options

If its not broke, don't fix it.

We are unbeaten, he gets a clean sheet and he still gets people on his back. Amos was supposedly rubbish at Millwank last season and Phillips hasn't done anything drastic to be dropped. No reason to change anything at the mo

• Options
    His poor distrubition and lack of command inside the box/flapping at crosses will cost us points this season, that's a fact.

Granted, he can't be dropped after a clean sheet. But the signs are there.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fiiiiiish said:

No such thing as luck.

Poor defending... Should have headed it away from goal, not across goal.
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fiiiiiish said:

No such thing as luck.

Phillips wasn't focused. He chose the worst time to look upfield... No luck in that, just a simple error. Ever notice that the most well practised or skilled never call their success luck.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fiiiiiish said:

No such thing as luck.
    There really is no such thing as luck, it’s just an old wives tale to explain away things we don’t understand/are complicated.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fiiiiiish said:

No such thing as luck.
    There really is no such thing as luck, it’s just an old wives tale to explain away things we don’t understand/are complicated.
    Andrew Luck, the Colts 1/4back has retired aged 29 .. he can no longer deal with the pain from persistent injuries .. very bad Luck or the misfortunes of life ? .. (He made a LOT of money during his pro career) 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fiiiiiish said:

No such thing as luck.
    Andrew Luck, the Colts 1/4back has retired aged 29 .. he can no longer deal with the pain from persistent injuries .. very bad Luck or the misfortunes of life ? .. (He made a LOT of money during his pro career) 
    Were the injuries as a result of poor training, overuse, poor management or foul play from opponents? None are luck... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s interesting (and completely unrelated to this thread!) that people who think the idea of a God completely irrational are willing to believe I the concept of luck. 
  • Options
    I didn't mark the last game but if I had done Dillon would have scored 6. I agree his distribution is not tidy. Since the back pass rule change goalkeepers need to be better at distribution. Before then it wasn't as important Nicky Johns admitted that he couldn't cope with it so he retired. Bob Bolder struggled with it  

I think Ben Amos is the better keeper but accept that Phillips has the shirt and should continue in the short term. 
  • Options
    If you give a mark - it shouldn't need the amount of words you have written explaining why. This, and the fact nobody else went that low, suggests it was not a realistic mark.
    Thanks. I tried to be realistic in my appraisal of Phillips and to give reasoning in full . In one sense you are “damned if you do and damned if you don’t “. I think that the Wembley error was operating on my mind to the extent that when I saw the two bowlers during this match I thought to myself were they aberrations or not . Wembley provided the answer to that and the context . As I also said the other matches warranted higher scores a so thought he played well . In those matches he did a lot better than he did against Brentford although he - rather the entire defence -kept a clean sheet . I do not think that he could be faulted for any of the goals in the previous matches and there were no obvious howlers in them . Bowyer and Marshall will have to judge it all based on what they saw as well and I am happy with that .
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fiiiiiish said:

No such thing as luck.
    Were the injuries as a result of poor training, overuse, poor management or foul play from opponents? None are luck... 
    A combination of being hit 248 times (rather a lot for a QB); horrendous front office management of rehab (thus resulting in further setbacks); and a bit of misfortune in exact body position when hit. Quarterbacks are often blind-sided when hit, meaning they have no time to "brace" into a suitable position to protect themselves from injury.

I'd attribute Luck's injuries to really bad variance (another term, one might argue, for "luck"), and his retirement is fair enough - all the best to him.
  • Options
    ashley said:
    On the players marks thread I gave Dillon Phillips 3.5 . That seemed to a number of people to be egregiously low . It was not .. I saw the error at Wembley and the own goal was down to him as far as I am concerned . Yes the back pass was over hit and aimed at the goal but I think that he should have dealt with it and he  didn’t . Fortunately that error did not cost us overall in the match but it could have done . It’s fair to say that the jury has always been out on him for me since that mistake . I have seen him have some really good games that warrant a much higher score than 3.5 . I regret that Saturday was not one of them . The things that concerned me in particular were the catch that he should have made when under no pressure at all from any Brentford players and that somehow bounced of his stomach / chest and that one of the centre backs had to desperately hook into touch . The second one was when he again under no pressure decided to punch the ball away rather than catch it . On both occasions it was absolutely imperative that the dominance that had been building over time from Brentford was relieved and that the defence got some respite from waves of attacks that they were never going to repel for vast parts of the game but which somehow they did . There were a number of other smaller errors that could have led to a goal eg in the first half when the Brentford centre forward got in behind the defence and skied one over the bar . There was also a deflection behind for a corner from Pearce when Phillips should have claimed the ball . He parried two shots into the path of a Brentford forward who fortunately could not convert . His kicking was not great and his throw outs were not accurate . Overall he would have scored 5 accounting also for two very good saves that he made . The first was to tip the ball around the post from a fierce shot in the first half and the second at the death to deny a goal that was followed up by blocks from Hemed and Field . Ironically that last save was also parried into the path of a Forward but it was such a rasping drive and he did extremely well to get down to it at his near post you can hardly blame him for that .The two absolute bowlers that I mention warrant a reduction from 5 to 3.5 . I had thought that 4 might be a reasonable mark but they were such terrible unforced mistakes , both of them , and heart in mouth moments that a reduction  of 1.5 marks was warranted .What I particularly do not like about things that he does is that he seems very regularly to want to punch the ball a short distance away inviting another attack rather than respite and possession . I cannot understand why a goal keeper would not want to catch the ball when under no pressure at all rather than punch it . If some one can explain that to me then I would be really interested to know what the thinking is behind that . The other thing that I very much don’t like that he does is the “ Hollywood scurry “ . . By that I mean trying to look very good flying left or right at ground level in extremely dramatic fashion for what should be a routine save or what he appears to have evaluated as a shot with at least a 50/ 50 chance of going in and that he seemingly doesn’t want to look bad for letting in . He should get down to make the save irrespective of what it will look like on TV . All I am interested in is has he saved it not the drama of the effort to do so .if he elects to punch the ball away then I want to see him do that only when under pressure from an opposing player and I want to see him smash that player too . The referee if he is doing his job will give a foul on him as the keeper if his jump upwards is impeded . Refs don’t always get it right but 9 times out of 10 they do for any sort of physical challenge on the goal keeper and he has got to trust in that . If in the process of clattering the opponent it roughs the opponent up then great as it nullifies the ability of the player and will make him less likely to barge Phillips in future giving him more chances of catching the ball and not parrying it away . I think that he is hesitant in dealing with crosses and that needs to improve too . He is a young player developing all the time and has a chance to prove himself in the Championship having done really well at the end of last season and having contributed well to our promotion. Any criticism of him feels like it is taboo and can never ever be raised . I don’t understand why that is either . He is our player and he is a professional footballer who has to be able to deal with comments about his short comings . There is no agenda or vendetta  or malice against  him just statements of fact . I hope that he continues to develop and improve just as he has been doing for the last year . He has a way to go still and the signs are that he could get to where he should be as a Championship goalie based on aspects of his game that are good eg shot stopping and when he gets his kicking right his general distribution his throw outs being quite good and accurate usually . If you had a dog and it constantly pooed in your house then you would want to train it not to do so wouldn’t  you ? You would not just let it continue to do so without trying to improve the situation . Doesn’t mean that you don’t care about the dog any less . The body language from Bowyer after the stomach bounce howler was not however very promising but he should not be dropped based on one poor game alone .
    did you come up for breath whilst writing that? I gave up after a couple of sentances. Not one of the grammer police but a paragraph or two would have been nice.
  • Options
    ashley said:
    On the players marks thread I gave Dillon Phillips 3.5 . That seemed to a number of people to be egregiously low . It was not .. I saw the error at Wembley and the own goal was down to him as far as I am concerned . Yes the back pass was over hit and aimed at the goal but I think that he should have dealt with it and he  didn’t . Fortunately that error did not cost us overall in the match but it could have done . It’s fair to say that the jury has always been out on him for me since that mistake . I have seen him have some really good games that warrant a much higher score than 3.5 . I regret that Saturday was not one of them . The things that concerned me in particular were the catch that he should have made when under no pressure at all from any Brentford players and that somehow bounced of his stomach / chest and that one of the centre backs had to desperately hook into touch . The second one was when he again under no pressure decided to punch the ball away rather than catch it . On both occasions it was absolutely imperative that the dominance that had been building over time from Brentford was relieved and that the defence got some respite from waves of attacks that they were never going to repel for vast parts of the game but which somehow they did . There were a number of other smaller errors that could have led to a goal eg in the first half when the Brentford centre forward got in behind the defence and skied one over the bar . There was also a deflection behind for a corner from Pearce when Phillips should have claimed the ball . He parried two shots into the path of a Brentford forward who fortunately could not convert . His kicking was not great and his throw outs were not accurate . Overall he would have scored 5 accounting also for two very good saves that he made . The first was to tip the ball around the post from a fierce shot in the first half and the second at the death to deny a goal that was followed up by blocks from Hemed and Field . Ironically that last save was also parried into the path of a Forward but it was such a rasping drive and he did extremely well to get down to it at his near post you can hardly blame him for that .The two absolute bowlers that I mention warrant a reduction from 5 to 3.5 . I had thought that 4 might be a reasonable mark but they were such terrible unforced mistakes , both of them , and heart in mouth moments that a reduction  of 1.5 marks was warranted .What I particularly do not like about things that he does is that he seems very regularly to want to punch the ball a short distance away inviting another attack rather than respite and possession . I cannot understand why a goal keeper would not want to catch the ball when under no pressure at all rather than punch it . If some one can explain that to me then I would be really interested to know what the thinking is behind that . The other thing that I very much don’t like that he does is the “ Hollywood scurry “ . . By that I mean trying to look very good flying left or right at ground level in extremely dramatic fashion for what should be a routine save or what he appears to have evaluated as a shot with at least a 50/ 50 chance of going in and that he seemingly doesn’t want to look bad for letting in . He should get down to make the save irrespective of what it will look like on TV . All I am interested in is has he saved it not the drama of the effort to do so .if he elects to punch the ball away then I want to see him do that only when under pressure from an opposing player and I want to see him smash that player too . The referee if he is doing his job will give a foul on him as the keeper if his jump upwards is impeded . Refs don’t always get it right but 9 times out of 10 they do for any sort of physical challenge on the goal keeper and he has got to trust in that . If in the process of clattering the opponent it roughs the opponent up then great as it nullifies the ability of the player and will make him less likely to barge Phillips in future giving him more chances of catching the ball and not parrying it away . I think that he is hesitant in dealing with crosses and that needs to improve too . He is a young player developing all the time and has a chance to prove himself in the Championship having done really well at the end of last season and having contributed well to our promotion. Any criticism of him feels like it is taboo and can never ever be raised . I don’t understand why that is either . He is our player and he is a professional footballer who has to be able to deal with comments about his short comings . There is no agenda or vendetta  or malice against  him just statements of fact . I hope that he continues to develop and improve just as he has been doing for the last year . He has a way to go still and the signs are that he could get to where he should be as a Championship goalie based on aspects of his game that are good eg shot stopping and when he gets his kicking right his general distribution his throw outs being quite good and accurate usually . If you had a dog and it constantly pooed in your house then you would want to train it not to do so wouldn’t  you ? You would not just let it continue to do so without trying to improve the situation . Doesn’t mean that you don’t care about the dog any less . The body language from Bowyer after the stomach bounce howler was not however very promising but he should not be dropped based on one poor game alone .
    did you come up for breath whilst writing that? I gave up after a couple of sentances. Not one of the grammer police but a paragraph or two would have been nice.
    Yes , sorry about that ! I was listening to a Wagner opera when I wrote this . Bite size pieces that are easily digestible next time . I shall also listen to something short and sweet and perhaps by Black Lace / Tight Fit if that would assist ....? 
  • Options
    ashley said:
    I think that due to a combination of the regularity of the Brentford attacks, the fact that seemingly we could not get out of our own half for much of the game , the mistake at Wembley that was playing on my mind and his generally poor game overall the two really absolute howlers that he was at fault for warranted the score that I gave . By comparison I would have given his performance at Wembley 6 and his contribution against Forest 7.5 and Doncaster 8 .Bowyer was bent over with both hands on his knees rooted to the spot and seemingly braced in disbelief against what he had just seen when the centre back hooked the ball jnto touch after Phillips spilled it . He then turned to Marshall and asked a question , put his hand to his face and then shook his head . I saw this as I looked down on him from where I sat as I was curious as to his reaction to such a terrible schoolboy like error of the type that you see on playing fields at junior level football it was that bad . The portents from Bowyer did not look good but I would stick with Phillips if only on the basis that to take him out now might wreck his confidence and he should be allowed to play  through this tricky period and that you don’t change a winning team . 

howlers? I must have missed their two goals then.

Bowyer spent much of the game bent over and rooted to the spot, shame you only noticed it when Dills made his two 'howlers'.

seen world class keepers make mistakes of the type you mention, they were not on school playing fields.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    ashley said:
    I think that due to a combination of the regularity of the Brentford attacks, the fact that seemingly we could not get out of our own half for much of the game , the mistake at Wembley that was playing on my mind and his generally poor game overall the two really absolute howlers that he was at fault for warranted the score that I gave . By comparison I would have given his performance at Wembley 6 and his contribution against Forest 7.5 and Doncaster 8 .Bowyer was bent over with both hands on his knees rooted to the spot and seemingly braced in disbelief against what he had just seen when the centre back hooked the ball jnto touch after Phillips spilled it . He then turned to Marshall and asked a question , put his hand to his face and then shook his head . I saw this as I looked down on him from where I sat as I was curious as to his reaction to such a terrible schoolboy like error of the type that you see on playing fields at junior level football it was that bad . The portents from Bowyer did not look good but I would stick with Phillips if only on the basis that to take him out now might wreck his confidence and he should be allowed to play  through this tricky period and that you don’t change a winning team . 

Bowyer spent much of the game bent over and rooted to the spot, shame you only noticed it when Dills made his two 'howlers'.

seen world class keepers make mistakes of the type you mention, they were not on school playing fields.

@ashley? Or are you trying to distract us for Zaha skinning you on Saturday?

Image result for zaha ashley young gif
    Image result for ashley young zaha gif

And now I'm disgusted in myself for sharing a palace gif...
  • Options
    ashley said:

But did Bowyer spend much of the game bent over and rooted to the spot and the.  turn to Marshall to ask him a question and run his hand over his face and shake his head after the ball was hooked desperately into touch ? If so I didn’t see that “ for much of the game “ and must therefore have missed something that you spotted . I did, however ,see all of these things immediately after the specific incident involving the ball being hooked into touch . I thought that was quite significant. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure the existence of luck has anything to do with God, but if you win the lottery, you should surely call it good luck. I would say good luck is when something happens when the probability is that it won't. And the higher the probability it won't, the luckier it is!
  • Options
    Dillon is still very young for a keeper,he played well last year and obviously has to improve this year in the championship where he will have a lot more work to do.I personally think that he has the attributes to become a fine keeper,and like Nick Pope could play some day at the highest level.
  • Options
    Two clean sheets on the bounce...
    He's deserved them nearly every game

Hope his performance today ends the debate for now
  • Options
    Two clean sheets on the bounce...
    He's deserved them nearly every game

Hope his performance today ends the debate for now
    Hasn't been a debate for me - have always been happy to have Dillon in goal.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    It's all very well him making worldy saves and having clean sheets but what about his distribution 😏.
    As in Dean Kiely.
  • Options
    Excellent save. Well done Dill!
  • Options
    His save from the 1v1 just before half time, save from the free kick, being confident in his claiming and punching were superb.

One of his goal kicks went off the pitch and another chip to purrington went off.... Would I change those for the saves mentioned? Not even a question. He was very good today.