Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phillips or Amos

Comments

• Options
    By many accounts, his distribution has not improved since last year. It's what worried Bowyer in 2018-19 and he said so more than once. When he gets a good rating in a match this season I notice it is because he "did not have a lot to do." I am thinking he is gonna get a royal pasting soon. I think it is time to alternate and let them fight for it. For the benefit of the club. This will force Dillon to work on his shortcomings, perhaps? How does a coach actually work on improving a player's distribution? Is it mental?

• Options
    By many accounts, his distribution has not improved since last year. It's what worried Bowyer in 2018-19 and he said so more than once. When he gets a good rating in a match this season I notice it is because he "did not have a lot to do." I am thinking he is gonna get a royal pasting soon. I think it is time to alternate and let them fight for it. For the benefit of the club. This will force Dillon to work on his shortcomings, perhaps? How does a coach actually work on improving a player's distribution? Is it mental?

I don’t think we can alternate, I’m not sure that really works with goalkeepers. They fight for it every day on the training ground and that’s what Bowyer sees far more than we do and he needs to make his decisions accordingly.

Additionally, and even though I think we’re going to come to the time where Amos should be given a chance pretty soon, I don’t think we’ll necessarily get a pasting if Phillips stays in goal, I just don’t think we’ll be able to play how Bowyer wants us to as effectively. 
  • Options
    His distribution at Barnsley was absolutely faultless.
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    Could command the area far far better for me! Every time a cross comes into the box he is rooted to his goal line!
    Total bollox.....an idiotic post of the week contender.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Amos has had a few chances at previous clubs to earn a starting spot at Championship clubs and has never taken that chance. I would be shocked if he’s ever our future number one for an extended period.

What makes some people so convinced that he will be better than Dillon at this level?
    That’s simply not true.
    Bolton... Cardiff... Millwall last season... all let him go and found another goalie. His track record isn’t fantastic in the second tier...

He had a great season with us in L1 and I think he was our best option this summer. I much prefer Dillon though.
    Amos seems like a pure confidence player. I think the upper end of his potential performances is higher than Dillon’s .  However, Dillon hasn’t done a lot wrong but equally he has looked pretty dicey at times .
  • Options
    Honestly, the team is doing well, sitting 2nd in the league - just enjoy that. It’s like people can’t accept it when something is going well and look for something.

so what, his distribution isn’t great and sometimes he doesn’t command his area - that will all come in time. If he is good enough for Bowyer then that’s enough. 
    This with bells on. Why do some people look for negatives? 
    We’re second in the Championship with a squad fighting for the badge and with a management team who love the club. 

It probably doesn’t get any better than this and by that I include bobbing about in mid table Premier League. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Valley11 said:
    Honestly, the team is doing well, sitting 2nd in the league - just enjoy that. It’s like people can’t accept it when something is going well and look for something.

so what, his distribution isn’t great and sometimes he doesn’t command his area - that will all come in time. If he is good enough for Bowyer then that’s enough. 
    This with bells on. Why do some people look for negatives? 
    We’re second in the Championship with a squad fighting for the badge and with a management team who love the club. 

It probably doesn’t get any better than this and by that I include bobbing about in mid table Premier League. 
    Might as well shut the forum when doing well then. 

Its opinions everyone is entitled to one on here. Some have concerns over Phillips some think his doing brilliantly. Think we can all have a say without getting on each other’s backs or being accused of being negative. 

My my own opinion is that he was ok yesterday. His distribution was poor and he does make me nervous coming for crosses but second half he did come and collect under pressure a couple of times and was part of a defence who kept a clean sheet. 

Dont think he should be dropped but I do have long term concerns but hope he proves me wrong as he did second half of last season 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    some people’s reaction to others opinions on a football forum on Phillips is laughable. 

Oh really!!!
  • Options
    some people’s reaction to others opinions on a football forum on Phillips is laughable. 

Oh really!!!
    Yes!!!!!! 

• Options
    Sorry I/we spoke.
    No chance. 
  • Options
    Guys, remember this post was not started to call anybody out or annihilate them. A simple discussion as I would expect us to have about Page/Purrington etc
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mendonca said:
    Guys, remember this post was not started to call anybody out or annihilate them. A simple discussion as I would expect us to have about Page/Purrington etc
    But it has had the undesirable effect of ‘singling out’ Dillon for criticism i.e. scapegoat material syndrome.
    I mean to say, having two threads about him in two years is simply ridiculous IMHO.
    Incidentally.....Napa has never even seen him play!
  • Options
    Some of the OTT criticism of Dillon from some of our fans is laughable - he's not perfect but he's a decent keeper. 

Every keeper I've ever watched has some weaknesses in their game.
  • Options
    Isn't it about time we had a song for Dillon?

One guy at front of NU giving him absolute pelters yesterday while others were moaning and groaning. So unnecessary.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Sorry I/we spoke.
    No chance. 
    A difference between saying what you think and saying someone’s post is bollocks and idiotic when they put a reasonable post on. I just found it unnecessary in the context of the discussion 

At the end of the day no big deal and it’s a lovely sunny Sunday after a win. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Isn't it about time we had a song for Dillon?

One guy at front of NU giving him absolute pelters yesterday while others were moaning and groaning. So unnecessary.
    Dont pass it back... Dont pass it baaack... Oh Dillon says... Please dont pass it back? ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I think Goalkeeper is a position which doesn't get that harder as you move up in class. You can be busier and have more difficult saves to make in League 2. You can't say that for an outfield player. I thought Phillips was outstanding overall last season and whilst he doesn't seem to be at his best so far, he still made a couple of excellent saves yesterday and as long as we don't start getting on his back, I'm sure he will have a good season for us. He hasn't had a full season yet, we must remember.
  • Options
    I think Goalkeeper is a position which doesn't get that harder as you move up in class. You can be busier and have more difficult saves to make in League 2. You can't say that for an outfield player. I thought Phillips was outstanding overall last season and whilst he doesn't seem to be at his best so far, he still made a couple of excellent saves yesterday and as long as we don't start getting on his back, I'm sure he will have a good season for us. He hasn't had a full season yet, we must remember.
    I disagree - as you progress up the levels I think what is expected of a goalkeeper does become more difficult. Being very good at stopping shots will probably be enough to be a professional, but take a look at ‘keepers at the very top level and they are required to contribute a lot more than just shot supping to their team. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I disagree - as you progress up the levels I think what is expected of a goalkeeper does become more difficult. Being very good at stopping shots will probably be enough to be a professional, but take a look at ‘keepers at the very top level and they are required to contribute a lot more than just shot supping to their team. 
    That isn't what I said though. The actual on field challenges do not change was my point. It is obvious that you expect the Liverpool keeper to be better than the Rochdale keeper. But the question is more about if Phillips is good enough for us, and I think he is. I can pick a spell of games DeGea has had where he has not been at his best. It does happen to keepers. 

The issues raised about Phillips are genuine - I appreciate that. But then you have to think whether he can improve or not. As I have said, he hasn't been getting full seasons. He showed us enough last season that he is good enough in my book.  
  • Options
    Didn't exactly have a lot to aim at and was unlucky being fractionally off a couple of times. 

Some weapons about if he should considered being dropped after 5 games and 2nd in the league. 

He made 2 saves worthy of the 3 points yesterday. 
  • Options
    Everyone is a better player when they're not wearing the shirt...
  • Options
    Amos was rubbish preseason and dropped to third in the pecking order at Millwall last season.
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    Could command the area far far better for me! Every time a cross comes into the box he is rooted to his goal line!
    Total bollox.....an idiotic post of the week contender.
    It’s all about opinions. When under pressure of a striker jumping with him he looks weak to me. Poor Andy Marshall on the touch line. I noticed a couple of times yesterday where Phillips’s distribution wasn’t great and Bowyer turned to look at Marshall and gave him a look.